PDA

View Full Version : Armor Spikes which magic enhancments?

Yogibear41
2013-12-23, 04:26 AM
If I had armor spikes and generally didn't intend to grapple things myself, but wanted to make everything that grapple me pay dearly for doing so what types of magic enhancements should I put on the spikes, flaming, shocking, etc. those types of effects.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-23, 04:46 AM
If you don't want to grapple yourself invest in a Ring of Freedom of Movement. Then you can enhance your armor spikes with things that are always useful, like Warning, Defending, Spellstrike, Spellblade or similar enhancements that give passive benefits.

Darth Stabber
2013-12-23, 06:31 AM
The answer depends on your size and the size and strength of the strongest party member. If you are small and the strongest party member is very strong and large then you should enchant them with throwing and returning, then you are a yoyo of pain!

herrhauptmann
2013-12-23, 10:14 AM
Smoking
Eager
Warning

Greenish
2013-12-23, 10:32 AM
Smoking (LoD) is good defense for grapple, yeah. Intercepting (FoW) lets you get in a free attack as they grab you.

By and large, though, if you're in a grapple you don't want to be in, your best bet is to get out. Anklets of Translocation (MIC), Shadow Cloak (DotU), or the like are good getaway cards, Ring of Freedom of Movement is the ultimate in anti-entanglement, and even an item of Escape Artist would be more likely to serve you well than trying to hurt the grappler with your armour spikes.

schoklat
2013-12-23, 11:33 AM
Spellstoring (on spikes or armor) can be helpful, if you have access (yourself or ally or wand or ...) to a spell that helps against grapple and works with spikes.
I once had Grease in my spikes, triggering on getting grappled to allow easy escape after, but I think that's not strictly possible RAW (I found the armor that way :smallbiggrin:). Can't check the SRD ATM, but this might give you a point to start with.

Yogibear41
2013-12-23, 04:45 PM
For things like Defending it says "before using the weapon in the description" so that means I would have to use the spikes to attack with and couldn't just have them on my armor then use another weapon that I was holding to fight with correct?

Althought I suppose if I had multiple attacks I could use my main hand for the first 2-3 and then use the spikes for the last one seeing as would miss alot of the time anyway do to being at -10 or so.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-23, 04:59 PM
For things like Defending it says "before using the weapon in the description" so that means I would have to use the spikes to attack with and couldn't just have them on my armor then use another weapon that I was holding to fight with correct?

Althought I suppose if I had multiple attacks I could use my main hand for the first 2-3 and then use the spikes for the last one seeing as would miss alot of the time anyway do to being at -10 or so.

You don't actually need to attack with them. You just can't use your +5 weapon to attack and then shift the bonus to +5 AC at the end of your turn to avoid the enemies attacks.

Yogibear41
2013-12-23, 05:04 PM
Is that actually written somewhere as an update or something? Or are you just assuming? Hate to be that guy but I may have to prove my case ya know? :smallsmile:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-23, 05:08 PM
Defending, and have the party caster put Greater Magic Weapon on them regularly for a +3-5 AC bonus. You can do the same with gauntlets.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-23, 05:14 PM
Is that actually written somewhere as an update or something? Or are you just assuming? Hate to be that guy but I may have to prove my case ya know? :smallsmile:

I think it's pretty obvious from the ability description. If you needed to attack it would say that (several other weapon enhancements do that).

Vhaidara
2013-12-23, 05:22 PM
The answer depends on your size and the size and strength of the strongest party member. If you are small and the strongest party member is very strong and large then you should enchant them with throwing and returning, then you are a yoyo of pain!

Screw that, I'm making a character built around his Throwing/Returning Armor spikes.

Darth Stabber
2013-12-23, 05:30 PM
Screw that, I'm making a character built around his Throwing/Returning Armor spikes.

Actually used this as a gm, so much fun! I recommend swordsage for the yoyo, ready an action for a maneuver on impact that way you can get the most out of a standard action attack. The team I used for the encounter was a goblin swordsage and an ogre hulking hurler.

Vhaidara
2013-12-23, 10:04 PM
Yes, but I'm making it 1 character. As in he throws his own armor spikes. I'm picturing it like a quill spray.