PDA

View Full Version : Prayer in a Plane

AlanBruce
2013-12-23, 04:40 AM
Greetings! The group I DM for ended split after a big battle and the party mage, along with a few commoners and a priestess of Kord npc got sucked via Reality Maelstrom to Ocanthus, the 4th Layer of Acheron.

This layer is nasty due to razor hail. The commoners began to drop until the mage cast rope trick and, after a few checks, realized he could find some help in Wee Jas' domain, The Cabal Macabre.

The mage does not have planeshift. The priestess is not high level enough to cast it, but here comes my question:

Acheron is a LN/LE plane. The priestess is CG, already a problem when it comes ro social interactions, but what about preparing spells? Would she be unable to do so because of where she is? Would she be able to prepare them normally?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-23, 04:52 AM
She can prepare her spells just fine. Being cut off from the source of her divine power takes more than simply being on an outer plane of opposed alignment.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-23, 11:45 AM
Planar alignment doesn't effect spell preparation.

The only thing I know of which does is some insane evil weather effect called violet rain (or something to that effect) and it only comes when a specific Elder Evil is about to show up. Rightly so, because impeding the connection between mortal and divine is the kind of truly incredible power which would herald the universe's end.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-23, 09:26 PM
Actually, I -think- there's a spell in SpC and a creature in Libris Mortis that can both interfere with a divine caster's connection to their god.

*looks it up*

Divine interdiction in the spell compendium renders anything capable of turning or rebuking or that has a granted domain power incapable of using those or any related abilities for 1rnd/lvl.

The quell in Libris Mortis can use its intercession ability to make a turning attempt against a divine spellcaster and, if successful, cuts that character off from their god and relieves them of the ability to turn/rebuke or cast divine spells for a minute and if the quell or quells (see their coupled intercession ability) have an effective turning level of twice the divine caster's level then the intercession lasts for 24 hours. If the quell attacks that character directly or if they're subjected to an atonement spell the intercession ends.