PDA

View Full Version : Belkar's favored enemy...

Adun
2013-12-23, 08:43 AM
Do we know what are the favored enemy of Belkar?

Had it been already discussed in another thread?

Souhiro
2013-12-23, 08:45 AM
We can bet Haley's hair that one of them is Kobold. Since he hates YikYik, YukYuk, and the oracle.

Most of people also think that he also may have Human as favored enemy. That would explain a lot of things.

Kish
2013-12-23, 08:46 AM
Do we know what are the favored [enemies] of Belkar?

No, and it seems unlikely we ever will.

Many.

Roland Itiative
2013-12-23, 08:57 AM
His favored enemy are all living things. Except cats.

Trillium
2013-12-23, 09:19 AM
Kobolds, quite likely.

Or Law Officers.

Muenster Man
2013-12-23, 09:25 AM

With the added restriction of things that can feel pain. I don't think Belkar would bother if others couldn't suffer.

Sir_Leorik
2013-12-23, 09:57 AM

It's never been officially confirmed, but a few reasonable guesses could be made. Humanoid (Reptillian) given Belkar's utter dislike of Kobolds; Humanoid (Human) given the way Belkar views Humans as either targets to be killed, targets to be shaken down, or whores; Giants, given that Belkar considers Ogres to make a satisfying thump when they hit the ground; and maybe Humanoid (Goblins). We can definitely rule out Undead, since Belkar gets no satisfaction from killing them. We can also rule out Animals, since they are one of the only targets Belkar almost never attacks (except for that mouse at the inn, and Windstrider).

Keltest
2013-12-23, 10:02 AM
Im sure Belkar hates all enemies equally. But experience says he hates kobolds more equally than others.

Sir_Leorik
2013-12-23, 10:06 AM
Im sure Belkar hates all enemies equally. But experience says he hates kobolds more equally than others.

That may be true, but "Kobolds" aren't a Favored Enemy category; "Humanoid (Reptilian)" (which includes Lizard-Folk and Kobolds) is.

jidasfire
2013-12-23, 10:15 AM
I recall Rich saying somewhere that Belkar was based on a character he played who was a halfling ranger with humans as his favored enemy, so that seems a safe bet. Kobolds are also a safe bet given his love of killing and desecrating them.

2.5 cats
2013-12-23, 10:33 AM
I swear I read somewhere that Belkar's favored enemy is humans, but now can't find it. :smallmad:

Over the course of the strip Beklar's daggers seem to be really, really effective at killing humans, less so at killing most other stuff. That's at least consistent with humans as his favored enemy.

It wouldn't surprise me if Humanoid (goblinoid) is a secondary favored enemy. He's fought a ton of them in books 1 and 3, and he was very effective at killing hobgoblins with a single hit in book 3.

Kish
2013-12-23, 02:11 PM
I recall Rich saying somewhere that Belkar was based on a character he played who was a halfling ranger with humans as his favored enemy, so that seems a safe bet.
Rich said what to you in the Telephone Game, now?

I swear I read somewhere that Belkar's favored enemy is humans, but now can't find it. :smallmad:
Many, many times on this forum. (Along with "halflings," "reptiles," "kobolds," and "things that feel pain.")

If you ever read it from anyone with the authority to know what s/he was talking about, on the other hand...I would be astounded.

jidasfire
2013-12-23, 02:22 PM
Rich said what to you in the Telephone Game, now?

If I remembered where he said it I'd have cited, but I am reasonably sure he did say it. Possibly in the uncut version of the Geekademia interview? It's been awhile since I listened to the uncut footage. Anyway, if it offends you that much, I gladly withdraw the statement.

Kish
2013-12-23, 02:27 PM
It doesn't offend me. Less snarkily, though, I'm skeptical. Either I have gone blind or it's not in the Geekdamia interview; it's not in the commentary of any book; it has never been proposed for inclusion in the Index thread where people needed to be told "Please don't do that" to stop immediately linking posts Rich made in non-OotS boards that didn't relate in any way to OotS....It could be in Gygax Magazine; I don't have that.

Lombard
2013-12-23, 02:28 PM
http://www.sequentialtart.com/article.php?id=467

He said that none of the OoTS characters were directly based on PCs but the closest any of them came to it was Belkar.

And damn, I am good at google. :tongue:

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-12-23, 02:35 PM
Belkar's favored enemy is things that aren't Belkar.

Copperdragon
2013-12-23, 03:13 PM

From a character point of view: Everything(that is alive).

From a rules point of view we do not know, but I'd guess he has:
Humanoid(Halfling) - he grew up among his kind and they were the first he hated.
Humanoid(Reptilian) - for his hate of Kobolds

I also would not be surprised about Humanoids(Humans) - he despises them and also has killed a whole, whole lot of them over the time.

That'd be my "guess list", I have no idea about others. But I very much would assume Belkar has more of the classic player races than monster races on that list. So expect more like human, elf, etc instead of typical monsters good Player Characters usually have on the list.

tl;dr
We do not know.

Dissection
2013-12-23, 03:44 PM
I've always kind of assumed that Belkar's "Ugh. I hate kobolds..." comment in comic 44 was the Giant's way of telling us that kobolds (or Humanoid (Reptilians)) were his favored enemy

Gift Jeraff
2013-12-23, 03:52 PM
Reptilian Humanoid and Human would be my guesses. Halfling or Goblinoid make sense for the third.

SlashDash
2013-12-23, 04:02 PM
And Dinos :)

We can definitely rule out Undead, since Belkar gets no satisfaction from killing them.
Unless he has a mark of justice on him.

Chantelune
2013-12-23, 06:29 PM
Also, Belkar had quite a flippant reaction upon discovering that the oracle was a Kobold too, when the others where mostly surprised. Added to his reaction to the various y*k-y*k, it does seems to point over kobolds.

martianmister
2013-12-23, 06:36 PM
Hopefully, cats.

Sir_Leorik
2013-12-24, 12:21 PM
http://www.sequentialtart.com/article.php?id=467

He said that none of the OoTS characters were directly based on PCs but the closest any of them came to it was Belkar.

And damn, I am good at google. :tongue:

All hail Lombard's 133t Google skills! :smalltongue:

Unless he has a mark of justice on him.

I presume you're referring to "Duck, Duck, Ghoul" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0433.html) and pelting Wights with pineapples? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0514.html) Belkar has stated he doesn't usually bother with Undead, since they're "no fun to kill" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0450.html). Doesn't exactly sound like a candidate for one of Belkar's Favored Enemies.

CaDzilla
2013-12-24, 08:03 PM
Belkar is at least a level 11. He has at least THREE favoured enemies. Probably has humanoid(reptilian) as one of them. Probably also has humanoids as the rest

SlashDash
2013-12-25, 10:08 AM
Doesn't exactly sound like a candidate for one of Belkar's Favored Enemies.

I was quoting this statement:
"Belkar gets no satisfaction from killing them"

If it's the only thing he can stab, he'll gladly stab it.
I wasn't implying anything regarding favored enemy.

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-25, 03:10 PM
Favored enemy?

"Anything, which hath the breath of life in its nostrils."

That's my theory, anyway. :smallwink:

lunar2
2013-12-25, 03:34 PM
It's never been officially confirmed, but a few reasonable guesses could be made. Humanoid (Reptillian) given Belkar's utter dislike of Kobolds; Humanoid (Human) given the way Belkar views Humans as either targets to be killed, targets to be shaken down, or whores; Giants, given that Belkar considers Ogres to make a satisfying thump when they hit the ground; and maybe Humanoid (Goblins). We can definitely rule out Undead, since Belkar gets no satisfaction from killing them. We can also rule out Animals, since they are one of the only targets Belkar almost never attacks (except for that mouse at the inn, and Windstrider).

windstrider is a magical beast, though.

Sir_Leorik
2013-12-25, 03:58 PM
Favored enemy?

"Anything, which hath the breath of life in its nostrils."

That's my theory, anyway. :smallwink:

While that does rule out Undead and Constructs, Belkar can only have three Favored Enemies. :smallwink:

Haldir
2013-12-25, 04:58 PM
Belkar spent months in Gobbotopia only able to kill Undead, it's a pretty fair shot that if he was taking any Ranger levels at the time he could have taken them as a Favored Enemy.

I recall reading one of Rich's interviews in which he was asked if he had ever played any character from OOTS in a game. He said there was once a halfling ranger that had human as his favored enemy, but was devoid of a sense of humor, obviously making him quite different from Belkar.

Keltest
2013-12-25, 05:14 PM
While that does rule out Undead and Constructs, Belkar can only have three Favored Enemies. :smallwink:

Belkar cheats, remember?

rodneyAnonymous
2013-12-25, 05:18 PM
Note that "favored enemy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm#favoredEnemy)" is a ranger class ability, not just "stuff he likes to kill".

Megsie
2013-12-25, 05:51 PM

Belkar's level fifteen, so he gets four.

Still nowhere near enough for everything that screams when you stab it, though. :smallwink:

Keltest
2013-12-25, 05:52 PM

Still nowhere near enough for everything that screams when you stab it, though. :smallwink:

Some of his levels are in barbarian though. Its never been explicitly stated how many.

Megsie
2013-12-25, 05:54 PM
Some of his levels are in barbarian though. Its never been explicitly stated how many.

Oh yeah.. for some reason I always forget he did that. o.O Probably because the concept of a Barbarian with daggers makes me queasy. :smallredface:

Keltest
2013-12-25, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah.. for some reason I always forget he did that. o.O Probably because the concept of a Barbarian with daggers makes me queasy. :smallredface:

Hes a Halfling. he does what he wants.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-12-25, 06:26 PM

Well, he does have Evasion. Beyond that, I don't think we know anything.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-12-25, 06:47 PM
Evasion is a 9th level ranger ability. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm#rangerEvasion)

Sir_Leorik
2013-12-26, 12:25 PM

Well, he does have Evasion. Beyond that, I don't think we know anything.

How do we know that Belkar's character level 15? He has an XP penalty from Multiclassing into a non-Favored Class. (Neither Ranger nor Barbarian are a Favored Class for Halflings.)

Belkar was at least a 9th level Ranger during the Battle for Azure City (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0469.html). He also had at least one or two levels of Barbarian. Belkar was shown gaining a level during his time with the Azurite Resistance (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0515.html). Belkar might have leveled from his fights with the Greysky City Thieves' Guild, but we weren't shown a "ding".

Olinser
2013-12-26, 02:59 PM

Belkar's favored enemy is the race of not-Belkar.

Olinser
2013-12-26, 03:04 PM
How do we know that Belkar's character level 15? He has an XP penalty from Multiclassing into a non-Favored Class. (Neither Ranger nor Barbarian are a Favored Class for Halflings.)

Belkar was at least a 9th level Ranger during the Battle for Azure City (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0469.html). He also had at least one or two levels of Barbarian. Belkar was shown gaining a level during his time with the Azurite Resistance (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0515.html). Belkar might have leveled from his fights with the Greysky City Thieves' Guild, but we weren't shown a "ding".

For information on levels, I direct you to this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311888

I believe that he has been determined to be level 15, due to his reaction to the Holy Word (deafened, but no blinded).

Jay R
2013-12-26, 03:38 PM
It won't have affected the comic much, for obvious reasons, but based on what little we know of his early life, up to and including the high school prom after-party, his first Favored Enemy could very easily have been Halflings.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-12-26, 04:21 PM
I believe that he has been determined to be level 15, due to his reaction to the Holy Word (deafened, but no blinded).

The question is not what is his total level, it is what is his ranger level? We don't know except that it's between 11 and 14.

Kish
2013-12-26, 05:27 PM
I believe that he has been determined to be level 15,
Passive voice alert.

The Class and Level Geekery thread declared him level 15 based on...really pretty shaky logic. Everywhere but in a thread that focuses on having numbers, any numbers, a more accurate estimation of his (character) level would be "Channa masala."

137beth
2013-12-27, 12:32 PM
<a bunch of good points> We can also rule out Animals, since they are one of the only targets Belkar almost never attacks (except for that mouse at the inn, and Windstrider).
Windstriker is treated as a magical beast, not an animal, for favored enemy purposes.

A paladin’s mount is treated as a magical beast, not an animal, for the purpose of all effects that depend on its type (though it retains an animal’s HD, base attack bonus, saves, skill points, and feats). (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm#thePaladinsMount)