PDA

View Full Version : *spoilers* Something that's been bothering me about Xykon...

Kruploy
2013-12-23, 11:34 AM
I have watched, I have observed, I have judged and I have observed some significant discrepancies between Xykon's behaviour and his presentation:

In strip #901 Xykon explicitly tells Redcloak, an already established evil character, to "zip it" when he suggests that they murder the heroes of this story. Afterwards, he gave great consideration to the contributions of MitD, a fragile, bullied character, and he agreed that his suggestions had merit and should be followed.

In addition, earlier Xykon clearly forbade this evil Redcloak from recovering from the injuries inflicted upon him by a paladin of virtue and justice.

Furthermore, Xykon unquestionably helped our heroes by attempting to opt for the peaceful solution during Roy's rude assault of his silver dragon and by offering Vaarsuvious sage advice on the nature of magic and power itself.

All of this suggests to me that, Xykon may not be Chaotic Evil monster he is presented to be. In fact, consider his spat with the Sapphire Guard in the throne room. Xykon clearly showed no hostility and only tried to defend himself with Meteor Swarm when attacked. This shows that Xykon merely wanted to play catch with the paladins, who in their usual prejudice simply tried to kill him for it. This shows that Xykon is in fact, a Lawful Good paragon of justice who is scared and frightened of his lich body and the evil of Redcloak. However, Xykon has nowhere else to go as no one but Redcloak is willing to accept him in his lich form.

Thus, Xykon does as much good as he can under his difficult circumstances. While I do not care much for Xykon, I believe he is certainly more heroic than the likes of Roy who tried to murder him and Durkon who is bloodsucking monster respectively.

Trillium
2013-12-23, 12:04 PM
Until the words "Lawful Good" (and, to greater extent, until the Sapphire Guard part) I really thought you were on to interesting idea. :smallannoyed:

AKA_Bait
2013-12-23, 12:06 PM
You should see if he's still hiring. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0446.html)

AlaskaOOTSFan
2013-12-23, 12:08 PM

No. No. No.

Read Start of Darkness, read the commentary.

No no no no.

Tetsujin-28
2013-12-23, 12:27 PM
Someone's havin' a giggle

Angel Bob
2013-12-23, 12:45 PM
Ah, very funny. Here you go, at least one person who can take a joke. :smalltongue:

navpirx
2013-12-23, 12:45 PM
Hear, hear! It's a shame the true hero of the story is getting so little screen time lately.

Copperdragon
2013-12-23, 12:46 PM
Someone's havin' a giggle

Yes, this is what this is about. Putting in some ridiculous idea and see when all kinds of people show up to discuss it? I fear it'll work.

Xykon is clearly not anything but CE and as crackpot theories that were there just for the giggles, I have seen some I found funnier. The "Xykon is LG approach" is not really new and I consider it a dud in general.

But feel free try again, I'm sure there's new and creative, funny ways to twist what we've seen in the comic. :smallsmile:

denthor
2013-12-23, 12:55 PM
Kruploy

I wish to thank you, for your proving you belong on this board with your first theory out of the gate.

Welcome and may you post long and often.

Our intrepid sorrcerror has an ubridal hate for Mages that have studied and learned there magics. This makes him part of the dark side.

Secondly he is willing to hinder a fellow that helps him by making sure that he can not see.

Third just because someone is chaotic does not mean they will not cross a bridge. When they can jump off of the same bridge.

zimmerwald1915
2013-12-23, 12:56 PM
I have watched, I have observed, I have judged and I have observed some significant discrepancies between Xykon's behaviour and his presentation:

In strip #901 Xykon explicitly tells Redcloak, an already established evil character, to "zip it" when he suggests that they murder the heroes of this story. Afterwards, he gave great consideration to the contributions of MitD, a fragile, bullied character, and he agreed that his suggestions had merit and should be followed.

In addition, earlier Xykon clearly forbade this evil Redcloak from recovering from the injuries inflicted upon him by a paladin of virtue and justice.

Furthermore, Xykon unquestionably helped our heroes by attempting to opt for the peaceful solution during Roy's rude assault of his silver dragon and by offering Vaarsuvious sage advice on the nature of magic and power itself.

All of this suggests to me that, Xykon may not be Chaotic Evil monster he is presented to be. In fact, consider his spat with the Sapphire Guard in the throne room. Xykon clearly showed no hostility and only tried to defend himself with Meteor Swarm when attacked. This shows that Xykon merely wanted to play catch with the paladins, who in their usual prejudice simply tried to kill him for it. This shows that Xykon is in fact, a Lawful Good paragon of justice who is scared and frightened of his lich body and the evil of Redcloak. However, Xykon has nowhere else to go as no one but Redcloak is willing to accept him in his lich form.

Thus, Xykon does as much good as he can under his difficult circumstances. While I do not care much for Xykon, I believe he is certainly more heroic than the likes of Roy who tried to murder him and Durkon who is bloodsucking monster respectively.
Okay, of whom are you a sockpuppet? There's no way this sort of alternate character interpretation, the format of which has bounced around the board for years, comes from a completely new reader :smalltongue:

If you couldn't tell, this post is tongue in cheek.

IW Judicator
2013-12-23, 12:57 PM
But feel free try again, I'm sure there's new and creative, funny ways to twist what we've seen in the comic. :smallsmile:

You mean like Miko being a Monk/Barbarian/Cleric mix and still managing to piss off the Universe as a whole so badly that she Fell (lost her theoretical Cleric abilities) harder than a solid gold cement mixer filled with anvils?

Sir_Leorik
2013-12-23, 12:59 PM
Since you're new, we should probably let you know about the ettiquette and protocol for this sort of thing. We use blue color font when we post interesting theories that we want to share with everyone and regular font when we're not serious.

:smalltongue:

Flame of Anor
2013-12-23, 01:03 PM
No. No. No.

Read Start of Darkness, read the commentary.

No no no no.

It's a joke. And a moderately amusing one, I'd say.

Kruploy
2013-12-23, 01:20 PM
Okay, of whom are you a sockpuppet? There's no way this sort of alternate character interpretation, the format of which has bounced around the board for years, comes from a completely new reader :smalltongue:

If you couldn't tell, this post is tongue in cheek.

My soul stands resolute and firm, like that of the samurai that stands proud beside my words. I have never told a single lie in my life nor have I ever engaged in deception of any sort. I am no sockpuppet, I simply give voice to the truths that nobody else has the moral courage to speak of. In this way I am an unsung hero of justice meting out good yet rarely appreciated...just like Xykon.

@denthor

I appreciate the thanks. It's always good to know that I have discovered a forum full of considerate, reasonable people who consider their words before stating them and seldom, if ever, jump to conclusions. Such commodities seem rare these days.

Meph
2013-12-23, 03:03 PM
This would explain why didn't Xykon blow Fyron up immediately instead of returning there in the nighttime. He was a gentleman thief, trying to steal with no unnecessary killing.

Nope, joking aside that remains the only one of Xykon's moves I do not understand in his mind.

Porthos
2013-12-23, 03:05 PM
Since you're new, we should probably let you know about the ettiquette and protocol for this sort of thing. We use blue color font when we post interesting theories that we want to share with everyone and regular font when we're not serious.

:smalltongue:

Blue text is for amateurs. :smalltongue:

Copperdragon
2013-12-23, 03:08 PM
You mean like Miko being a Monk/Barbarian/Cleric mix and still managing to piss off the Universe as a whole so badly that she Fell (lost her theoretical Cleric abilities) harder than a solid gold cement mixer filled with anvils?

Build a good case around why the Twelve Gods show up and cause the fall and you might have a case. Throw in a piece of Bard as well, that makes it funnier with the "must be chaotic" from it and the "must be lawful" from the Monk. Or something. :smallbiggrin:

Ted The Bug
2013-12-23, 03:45 PM
Man, I haven't seen a thread like this in a while. I remember earlier on, there was the whole edgy "root for the villains" team, but it seemed to peter out after the end of Azure City. Or so I thought.

Gorbad Ironclaw
2013-12-23, 03:49 PM
I can't tell at all if this is a joke or not…

konradknox
2013-12-23, 04:17 PM
Well, Xykon does periodically kill a lot of goblins and hobgoblins, which IS a lawful good thing to do.... hmm... :smallbiggrin:

ORione
2013-12-23, 07:57 PM
Build a good case around why the Twelve Gods show up and cause the fall and you might have a case. Throw in a piece of Bard as well, that makes it funnier with the "must be chaotic" from it and the "must be lawful" from the Monk. Or something. :smallbiggrin:

Bards don't have to be Chaotic, they just have to be unLawful. Which is still enough to disqualify them from being Monks. Barbarians also must be unLawful, so that's covered.

IW Judicator
2013-12-23, 08:04 PM

...Alternate theory: Same as the above, except that when the Twelve Gods got tired of Miko...being Miko in general...they instead hit her with enough damage to put her into a permanent Barbarian Rage, thus denying her the capacity to either cast (thus replicating a 'Fall') and also making her immune to basic logic and reason, with the added bonus of wanting to kill things. Oh, and thus her change in color from blue to not blue. :smallbiggrin:

Keltest
2013-12-23, 08:08 PM
...Alternate theory: Same as the above, except that when the Twelve Gods got tired of Miko...being Miko in general...they instead hit her with enough damage to put her into a permanent Barbarian Rage, thus denying her the capacity to either cast (thus replicating a 'Fall') and also making her immune to basic logic and reason, with the added bonus of wanting to kill things. Oh, and thus her change in color from blue to not blue. :smallbiggrin:

That would also explain her being split in half (lethal damage) when the gate exploded, when O-chul was simply shot waaaay out into the battlefield, while still surviving the fall damage, even though she was a higher level paladin than him.

martianmister
2013-12-23, 08:23 PM
He's like Thanos. He subconsciously wants to be defeated.

Vinsfeld
2013-12-23, 09:00 PM
Yeah, he's not evil at all. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html)

Ridureyu
2013-12-23, 09:02 PM
Did Miko write this?

Flame of Anor
2013-12-23, 11:58 PM
I can't tell at all if this is a joke or not…

Yeah, he's not evil at all. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html)

Did Miko write this?

This is 100% a joke, people. Seriously. Let me remind you of the bit where "Xykon merely wanted to play catch with the paladins", okay?

The_Tentacle
2013-12-24, 10:03 AM
I appreciate the thanks. It's always good to know that I have discovered a forum full of considerate, reasonable people who consider their words before stating them and seldom, if ever, jump to conclusions. Such commodities seem rare these days.

This should be in blue. :smalltongue:

Nimrod's Son
2013-12-24, 10:29 AM
Blue text is for amateurs. :smalltongue:
I agree with you almost all the time, but never more so than this. I was told the other day that I'd "forgotten" to write my obviously-sarcastic post in blue and I genuinely couldn't think of a reply that properly conveyed my revulsion at the idea without seeming incredibly rude.

Blue text is the written equivalent of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snsj0L8-4Iw), and if you need it then you are doing sarcasm wrong.

The Giant
2013-12-24, 12:15 PM
First, please don't start threads with ideas you don't support just to see what reactions you get. That's almost the definition of trolling.

Second, the whole "blue text" thing is not a forum rule or even a recommended procedure. If someone wants to do it in their own posts, fine, but everyone should stop telling people that they "need to" or "should have" posted in blue just because they're being sarcastic/ironic/whatever.