PDA

View Full Version : Wild, Random Thought

Gorfnod
2013-12-23, 01:54 PM
So I have been re-reading the entire series for the umpteenth time and something just popped out at me.

In Update #277 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) when Shojo was describing the separate gates and their protections he says the following

Even though it had been her idea, Serini wasn't really the type for retiring.

She decided that she would build a tomb for Kraagor, and fill it with the nastiest monsters in the world, to reflect his belief in the power of physical might.

Nastiest monsters in the WORLD??!! Could we see an appearance by the MitD's father at Kraagor's Tomb?

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-23, 01:57 PM
Good thinking. Since it's the last gate, it seems like a good spot for a family reunion for the MitD anyway. His big reveal is a lot closer than it was before, after all.

If it proves to be the case, then I will salute you.

SavageWombat
2013-12-23, 02:05 PM
It's been suggested as a likely way to get our big reveal. Certainly it's an appropriate time frame.

togapika
2013-12-23, 04:00 PM
I just think the MITD could be the son of the snarl, thus saving humanity by asking for them to be spared.

Ward.
2013-12-23, 04:04 PM
I just think the MITD could be the son of the snarl, thus saving humanity by asking for them to be spared.

It's entirely possible but pretty cliche.

Honestly I'm not sure the order can take the mitd, his father would be over kill.

SlashDash
2013-12-23, 04:10 PM
I never understood, if Serini is the one to put protect and build the dungeon for it, why is called Kragger's Gate? Why not Serini gate?

Also, the word "world" refers to other planes? I'm guessing the MITD is from another plane. Didn't it mention that it was on the astral plane at some point or another?

Ramien
2013-12-23, 04:13 PM
I doubt it... I think MitD's father spent a lot of time on the Astral plane, and so might not even be considered one of the creatures in the world.

Gorfnod
2013-12-23, 04:39 PM
I never understood, if Serini is the one to put protect and build the dungeon for it, why is called Kragger's Gate? Why not Serini gate?

Serini built it to honor the death of Kraagor who was killed when they were sealing the gates. I'm not sure if his remains are there or not but it is his "resting place". I guess it was named after him more out of respect than anything.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-12-23, 05:40 PM

This is probably the only thing MitD could not be. Mainly, because Giant has gone on record saying the MitD is not something he made up for the story. The Snarl is something he made up, so Snarl Jr. would also be something he made up.

veti
2013-12-23, 05:47 PM
Could we see an appearance by the MitD's father at Kraagor's Tomb?

It's been speculated (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15532491&postcount=27), but the speculation is pretty - unfounded, so there's not really much to discuss.

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-23, 06:19 PM
This is probably the only thing MitD could not be. Mainly, because Giant has gone on record saying the MitD is not something he made up for the story. The Snarl is something he made up, so Snarl Jr. would also be something he made up.

There's a ton of other reasons, too, including the big game hunters referring to "one of these" (unlikely to be referring to populations of Snarl juniors running around, especially since the Snarl is mostly unknown).

Gorfnod
2013-12-23, 08:38 PM
It's been speculated (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15532491&postcount=27), but the speculation is pretty - unfounded, so there's not really much to discuss.

Yeah I had assumed that I wasn't the first to think of this but I hadn't see the idea before and it just stuck with me for some reason. Just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone had delved any deeper.

Nimrod's Son
2013-12-24, 10:57 AM
The possiblity has been put forward many times before. It's certainly one of the more likely forum theories: it makes sense, there's nothing at the moment to disprove it, and the fact that O-Chul has gone on ahead to scout the place out does add some interesting dramatic potential.

Keltest
2013-12-24, 11:29 AM
Of course we wont See it. That would utterly invalidate MitD's big reveal! It might make it's presence known though.

NerdyKris
2013-12-24, 11:48 AM
Of course we wont See it. That would utterly invalidate MitD's big reveal! It might make it's presence known though.

Unless it is the big reveal. You're assuming the reveal will be the MitD throwing off his magical shadow. It could very well be that we never see him and only see his father.

Keltest
2013-12-24, 11:52 AM
Unless it is the big reveal. You're assuming the reveal will be the MitD throwing off his magical shadow. It could very well be that we never see him and only see his father.

That would be as big a letdown to fans of the monster as never getting revealed in the first place. Or at least it would be to me.

JBiddles
2013-12-30, 05:44 PM
It's entirely possible but pretty cliche.

Honestly I'm not sure the order can take the mitd, his father would be over kill.

The MitD has a poor Will save - Haley, Belkar and Roy wouldn't stand a chance, but Vaarsuvius, Durkon/Durkula or Elan could probably neutralise MitD with one spell.

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-31, 01:22 PM
That would be as big a letdown to fans of the monster as never getting revealed in the first place. Or at least it would be to me.

Two sets of yellow eyes, side by side in the darkness at Kraagor's Gate ...

"Hi, pop!"

"Howdy, son."

"Bet they thought there was going to be a big reveal here, huh?"

"Don't doubt it. Save that for the Astral fortress, though, kid."

"Sure thing, dad."

"Ah, the sweet, sweet sound of disappointed wails from beyond the fourth wall! It's a sound I never get tired of."

NerdyKris
2013-12-31, 01:26 PM
Well, I meant we might see his father first, not that we'd never see what the MitD looks like. As in, the reveal being "Hey Dad!", not just "Oh, that was my Dad back there, btw".