PDA

View Full Version : critique my build

geekintheground
2013-12-23, 01:55 PM
old fire grey elf generalist eidetic wizard 5/incantatrix 10/abjurant champion 5.

rolled stats: 14, 14, 14, 16, 17, 18
after racials: 9 Str, 18 Dex, 7 Con, 24 Int, 14 Wis, 14 Cha
i plan on eventually getting the necropolitan template from a dread necro with some of the corpse crafting feats.

feats:
Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Flaw)
Academy Graduate (Savage Tide Campaign, free)
Collegiate Wizard (1st)
Iron Will (3rd)
City Magic (Wizard Bonus)
Combat Casting (6th)
rest are open.

spells known: (i have the conjuration domain)
Chill Touch, Color Spray, Electric Orb (lesser), Light of Lunia, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Mighty Wallop, Nerveskitter, Ray of Clumsiness, Ray of Feebleness, Shield, Silent Image, Sleep, Summon Undead 1, Thunderhead.

party has: wanderer (barbarian type homebrew on D&D wiki), a pugilist (un-armed fighter on D&D wiki), a druid, a bard, and one undecided.

Aegis013
2013-12-23, 02:04 PM
I'd suggest just picking up Iron Will from an Otyugh Hole for 3,000gp. Frees up a feat for better things.

I also think trading for Spontaneous Divination is a stronger choice than City Magic for your 5th level Wiz bonus feat.

geekintheground
2013-12-23, 02:08 PM
I'd suggest just picking up Iron Will from an Otyugh Hole for 3,000gp. Frees up a feat for better things.

I also think trading for Spontaneous Divination is a stronger choice than City Magic for your 5th level Wiz bonus feat.

a metamagic feat for incantatrix, but i suppose the otyugh hole would open up the 3rd level feat... need to discuss with my DM. how is the 3k deducted from your wealth? do you pay gold, or do you just not find as much?

Big Fau
2013-12-23, 02:09 PM

It would be if the errata didn't kill its versatility.

Flickerdart
2013-12-23, 02:10 PM
Fire Elf and Gray Elf are both different species, not templates. You cannot be a Fire Gray Elf any more than you could be a Dwarf Gnome.

geekintheground
2013-12-23, 02:16 PM
Fire Elf and Gray Elf are both different species, not templates. You cannot be a Fire Gray Elf any more than you could be a Dwarf Gnome.

i must have misunderstood some other threads then. which would you recommend?

edit: wait, dont they work like ACF's in that as long as they dont trade the same thing away, i can use both? and since they both just add stuff, it should be fine?

Aegis013
2013-12-23, 02:32 PM
It would be if the errata didn't kill its versatility.

I wasn't aware of any errata to Spontaneous Divination. Where might I find it?

i must have misunderstood some other threads then. which would you recommend?

edit: wait, dont they work like ACF's in that as long as they dont trade the same thing away, i can use both? and since they both just add stuff, it should be fine?

They are different species of elves. You'd need to ask your DM for a houserule. Much in the same way you can't be a Chaos Whisper Gnome, you can only be a Chaos Gnome or a Whisper Gnome.

As far as the wealth thing. Consult your DM on if or how he will adjudicate Magical Locations as treasure. Since it's not so good for immersion in a lot of settings if you pay 3,000gp to get thrown into a nasty dungeon for a week. (though it can be made to work)

Flickerdart
2013-12-23, 02:35 PM
As far as the wealth thing. Consult your DM on if or how he will adjudicate Magical Locations as treasure. Since it's not so good for immersion in a lot of settings if you pay 3,000gp to get thrown into a nasty dungeon for a week. (though it can be made to work)
That's not how magical locations work. They are equivalents to treasure. You don't fork over money to go to jail. You go to jail, and your subsequent shares of treasure add up to 3000gp short of what the guidelines say they would be otherwise.

geekintheground
2013-12-23, 02:37 PM

That's not how magical locations work. They are equivalents to treasure. You don't fork over money to go to jail. You go to jail, and your subsequent shares of treasure add up to 3000gp short of what the guidelines say they would be otherwise.

well you COULD fork over 3k gold to put together an expedition to the legendary site, could you not? it would have the same effect, youre out 3k and it would make sense

Flickerdart
2013-12-23, 02:39 PM
well you COULD fork over 3k gold to put together an expedition to the legendary site, could you not? it would have the same effect, youre out 3k and it would make sense
Theoretically, yes. But there are a few it doesn't make sense for (such as the Otyugh Hole, and that one vault). Much easier to just do what the rules tell you and abstract it away into the WBL guidelines.

Aegis013
2013-12-23, 02:40 PM

That would make sense, but I have seen it done as pay 3,000gp and go to "jail". It was fluffed as a kind of trial, completion of which would earn the infamy described in the Otyugh Hole's description that (crazy adventurer type) people undertook willingly and the group controlling the dungeon opted to capitalize.

Big Fau
2013-12-23, 02:46 PM
I wasn't aware of any errata to Spontaneous Divination. Where might I find it?

CChamp errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata), page 4:

Page 52 – Spontaneous Divination - Benefit [Revision] The first sentence should instead read, “You can spontaneously cast any spell you know from the divination school by sacrificing a prepared spell of equal or greater level.”

eggynack
2013-12-23, 02:48 PM
I don't really see how that rule makes spontaneous divination un-good. It's not the best thing ever, but there're some divinations that you'd want spontaneously.

geekintheground
2013-12-23, 02:49 PM
I don't really see how that rule makes spontaneous divination un-good. It's not the best thing ever, but there're some divinations that you'd want spontaneously.

no one said it wasnt good, just that it wasnt as versatile as it used to be.

Piggy Knowles
2013-12-23, 02:50 PM
It's still pretty insanely good, although Uncanny Forethought steals some of its thunder. I'm a big fan of picking up the Magic domain granted ability, so that I can use items of spells from my banned schools.

eggynack
2013-12-23, 02:51 PM
no one said it wasnt good, just that it wasnt as versatile as it used to be.
Well, Fau did say that this killed its versatility, which I think is going a bit far where this is concerned.

Big Fau
2013-12-23, 02:53 PM

Before the errata you could cast spells like Hunter's Eye as a Wizard, or any number of other non-Wiz/Sor Divination spells you'd want. Now it only works on spells in your book, so it's competing with taking Spell Mastery as your 5th level bonus feat and taking Uncanny Forethought at 6th level.

eggynack
2013-12-23, 02:57 PM
Before the errata you could cast spells like Hunter's Eye as a Wizard, or any number of other non-Wiz/Sor Divination spells you'd want. Now it only works on spells in your book, so it's competing with taking Spell Mastery as your 5th level bonus feat and taking Uncanny Forethought at 6th level.
Ah. I guess that's a bit worse, but it's not like wizards are lacking for reasonable divinations. Alter fortune is sweet, even when it's not spontaneous. Uncanny forethought is certainly great, though it does suffer from costing two feats to spontaneous divination's one.

Big Fau
2013-12-23, 03:16 PM
Ah. I guess that's a bit worse, but it's not like wizards are lacking for reasonable divinations. Alter fortune is sweet, even when it's not spontaneous. Uncanny forethought is certainly great, though it does suffer from costing two feats to spontaneous divination's one.

While the feat cost and limits on daily use hurt Uncanny Forethought, it does have the advantage of cheating the casting time of any spell you use with it and being usable with every spell you want, not just Divinations.

Spontaneous True Strike is nifty for a Gish build though.

Aegis013
2013-12-23, 03:21 PM

Ok, this is already what I believed it did. It's still very powerful.
Edit: I do concede going for Uncanny Forethought is a more powerful option.