PDA

View Full Version : Boosting crit confirmation rolls

Samalpetey
2013-12-23, 02:58 PM
Anyone got any good ways to get bonuses to critical hit confirmation rolls, or any way to auto-confirm? I have a character based on telling blow (among other things) and I noticed that the blessed scabbard/weapon doesn't work with keen weapons.

So, anyone got anything? To note, it has to be an item, or otherwise accessible without using feats, skills or levels.

Know(Nothing)
2013-12-23, 03:51 PM
I believe there are items that grant luck rerolls-- or at very least there are items that grant feats that give you luck rerolls. I can't think of any names right now, but check Complete Scoundrel.

shaikujin
2013-12-23, 04:06 PM
Dolorous Blow from Spell Compendium Pg 70

Wiz 3. Weapon's threat range doubled, threats auto-confirmed. At CL 20, lasts 20 mins

A potion of this would cost 750 gp.

HalfQuart
2013-12-23, 04:18 PM
There are lots of spells that do this... you can access them through wands, scrolls, potions, or oils (or create a custom item):

Corrupt Weapon (DMG: Bard 1, Blackguard 1, a few obscure lists): auto-confirm against good foes, plus some other stuff
Critical Strike (SpC: Assassin 1, Bard 1, Hexblade 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 1): +4 bonus to confirm, plus some other benefits
Curse of Arrow Attraction (PHB2: Cleric 3, Ranger 2, Sorc/Wiz3): automatically confirm on ranged attacks, plus some other stuff
Distort Weapon (BoVD: Blackguard 1): auto-confirm against good foes
Dolorous Blow (SpC: Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 3): auto-confirm
Exacting Shot (SpC: Ranger 2): auto-confirm against favored enemies
Sense Weakness (MoEb: Cleric 2, Sorc/Wiz 2): Auto-confirm one threat against one enemy

For straight up items, there's the Flesh Ring of Scorn (SpC) that lets you auto-confirm, but you also take damage... probably not worth it unless it's for some sort of Nova attack or you have a lot of hit points.

Angelalex242
2013-12-23, 04:35 PM
How on earth did you guys miss Bless Weapon (Auto confirm vs. evil foes).

Also, Fist of Raziel's 'confirming' effect on smites. (unlike bless weapon, this does work on keened weapons.)

Note that corrupt and bless weapon do not work with keen, but DO work with improved critical the feat. Thus, Paladins and Blackguards typically want to burn their feat on Improved crit with their weapon to get best use out of these spells.

Greenish
2013-12-23, 04:47 PM
How on earth did you guys miss Bless Weapon (Auto confirm vs. evil foes).I guess they just assumed the OP is familiar with it already, given that it's mentioned in the first post.

Samalpetey
2013-12-23, 04:51 PM
Dolorous Blow from Spell Compendium Pg 70

Wiz 3. Weapon's threat range doubled, threats auto-confirmed. At CL 20, lasts 20 mins

A potion of this would cost 750 gp.

"The latter effect (auto confirming) does not apply to any weapon that already has a magical effect related to critical hits."

There are lots of spells that do this... you can access them through wands, scrolls, potions, or oils (or create a custom item):

Corrupt Weapon (DMG: Bard 1, Blackguard 1, a few obscure lists): auto-confirm against good foes, plus some other stuff
Critical Strike (SpC: Assassin 1, Bard 1, Hexblade 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 1): +4 bonus to confirm, plus some other benefits
Curse of Arrow Attraction (PHB2: Cleric 3, Ranger 2, Sorc/Wiz3): automatically confirm on ranged attacks, plus some other stuff
Distort Weapon (BoVD: Blackguard 1): auto-confirm against good foes
Dolorous Blow (SpC: Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 3): auto-confirm
Exacting Shot (SpC: Ranger 2): auto-confirm against favored enemies
Sense Weakness (MoEb: Cleric 2, Sorc/Wiz 2): Auto-confirm one threat against one enemy

For straight up items, there's the Flesh Ring of Scorn (SpC) that lets you auto-confirm, but you also take damage... probably not worth it unless it's for some sort of Nova attack or you have a lot of hit points.

Corrupt/distort weapon has effectively the same clause as dolorous blow, curse of arrow attraction is worthless as I'm using a melee weapon, exacting shot doesn't work as I'm a rogue/swashbuckler, and sense weakness is only on one shot. For now I probably am going with the flesh ring.

How on earth did you guys miss Bless Weapon (Auto confirm vs. evil foes).

Also, Fist of Raziel's 'confirming' effect on smites. (unlike bless weapon, this does work on keened weapons.)

Note that corrupt and bless weapon do not work with keen, but DO work with improved critical the feat. Thus, Paladins and Blackguards typically want to burn their feat on Improved crit with their weapon to get best use out of these spells.

Bless weapon doesn't work with keen, as you rightly said, which is why I can't use it. As I mentioned, I can't go with Fist of Raziel as the build is set.

For a bit more information, I can't really afford to spend wealth on spells, as I'm in a pretty much zero wealth game. That said though, the dm does allow full wbl for starting characters

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-23, 04:51 PM
I think there's a feat which gives +5 to confirmation rolls called Power Critical or some such name. Complete Warrior?

Greenish
2013-12-23, 04:54 PM
I think there's a feat which gives +5 to confirmation rolls called Power Critical or some such name. Complete Warrior?That's the feat and the book. Only +4 though.

killem2
2013-12-23, 04:59 PM
Flesh Ring of Scorn, is an item if MIC page 100, that auto confirms crits, and depending on your multiplier you take damage for it.

x2 = 2d6, x3 = 3d6 and so on, upto 3 times a day.