PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Grey Elf Generalist Wizard/Archivist Gestalt | Assistance Desired

HaikenEdge
2013-12-23, 06:36 PM
I'm looking at building a gestalt Generalist Wizard//Archivist for a friend of mine; he wants to play an elf archivist//wizard, so I immediately went to Gray Elf for the Intelligence bonus, and then Generalist Wizard, because the guy wanted to have a lot of spells to throw around.

I know that campaign is starting at 1st level, and I've been told it'll likely go to 20th, so I'm looking to put together a relatively viable 20-level gestalt build. Since all WotC official and licensed materials are legal, I believe it'd be wise to take both Collegiate Wizard and Academic Priest at first level, giving up the Wizard's familiar with the Forlorn feat (since the player doesn't want to do the bookkeeping on the familiar) to be able to afford both feats.

According to the DM, who I've spoken to briefly, PrCs will be allowed on both sides of the progression, even at the same level if the player qualifies for the PrCs; I'm at a loss as to what PrCs would be useful for the character, given player has told me he wishes to be able to back up every position while remaining useful as a utility caster (which won't be too difficult, given he's basically gestalting two tier 1 classes).

Assuming that attributes won't be a problem (it shouldn't be, given it's 48[!] point buy), I'd like suggestions as to how this build could conceivably look. I think mid-level optimization would likely be good, so that my friend will have options but will be able to pull back if necessary. Early entry into PrCs is acceptable, according to the DM.

What's that ACF that allows wizards to trade their magic feats for fighter feats, and would it be worth it with this gestalt build, given Archivist already grants Scribe Scroll at first level? Also, would Alternate Spell Source be a pointless feat in this build, given the character will likely be getting 9ths in both Divine and Arcane spells?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated; I don't really have a build outline, and any suggestions to other classes will be considered, though the player has voiced their desire to play an archivist//wizard.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-23, 06:48 PM
Collegiate Wizard is only something i'd consider if scrolls are rare or hard to come by. Academic Priest is a good idea though.

The biggest problem with a dual caster gestalt is going to be action economy since both are active classes.
Some PrC's to consider on the wizard side:
War Weaver - allows you to precast spells and release them as a move action
Incantatrix 3-10 - lets you apply metamagic (persist will be useful) with a skill check instead of a level increase, among other goodies.
Swiftblade 9 - You lose 2 CL but gain a lot of defensive benefits and the ability to use 2 standard actions/turn at level 9

for the divine side:
Sacred Exorcist - 1 level gets you turn undead for DMM.
Dweomerkeeper 4 - Supernatural Spell; you'll need to get a domain to qualify though
Contemplative 1 - gets you a domain