PDA

View Full Version : Adding Valorous to my Power Attack modifiers - maths fun!

JW86
2013-12-23, 07:37 PM
Hello,

My Barbarian character has just received the Valorous enchantment upgrade to his Greatsword. I would just like to confirm how the enchantment affects damage when making a charge, using the Leap Attack/Shocktrooper feats.

Normal charging leap attack with Greatsword is (P.A. mod x3) + (Str Mod x 1.5) + 4d6 (Huge Greatsword) + 1d6 fire (Flaming Enchantment).

How exactly would Valorous change this equation?

Nettlekid
2013-12-23, 07:48 PM
In the equation you've got down there, open a parenthesis in front of everything, and close it just before the 1d6 Fire damage (those kinds of damages are never multiplied.) Outside those parentheses, stick the x2 from Valorous. The great thing about Valorous is that it multiplies damage, not the PA output. Because of this, instead of doing the weird D&D multiplicative system where a x2 increase is actually a +100% increase (so x3x2 is x4, not x6), the PA output gets outright doubled.

JW86
2013-12-23, 08:01 PM
<Mr. Burns> Excellent. </Mr. Burns> :smallbiggrin:

Simple and most, most damaging. The sword also has a Wrathful Healing enchantment. Most happy, I am.

Thank you.

RolandDeschain
2013-12-23, 08:09 PM
<Mr. Burns> Excellent. </Mr. Burns> :smallbiggrin:

Simple and most, most damaging. The sword also has a Wrathful Healing enchantment. Most happy, I am.

Thank you.

'tis the season to be cleaving :smallsmile:

JW86
2013-12-23, 10:03 PM
I like it.. catchy!

The DM has stated that accomplishing certain feats, such as dealing over 1,000 damage in a round, will massively increase my level 22 orc barbarian's chance of attaining divine ranks.

So Valorous Leap Attacking, Pouncing, Cleaving, War Hulking shenanigans await.

Twilightwyrm
2013-12-23, 10:47 PM
Hello,

My Barbarian character has just received the Valorous enchantment upgrade to his Greatsword. I would just like to confirm how the enchantment affects damage when making a charge, using the Leap Attack/Shocktrooper feats.

Normal charging leap attack with Greatsword is (P.A. mod x3) + (Str Mod x 1.5) + 4d6 (Huge Greatsword) + 1d6 fire (Flaming Enchantment).

How exactly would Valorous change this equation?

Actually your equation should look like this:

((((P.A. x 2) x100%) + (Str x 1.5) + 4d6) x2 +1d6 fire)

Leap attack was erratated to to increase damage by 100%, meaning it effectively doubles P.A. (even if it has already been doubled), outside of the normal doubling rules of the game. So actually, this is even better for you.

JW86
2013-12-23, 11:09 PM
Oh.. oh my.. things have just become very interesting.

With BAB of 21 and STR bonus of +17 when raging, this becomes ridiculous.

Power Attack for 21...

(P.A. x 2) = 42, x100% = 84
+ (17x1.5 = 25 rounded down)
+ 4d6 = 14 average)

multiplied by two due to valorous = average 246+1d6 fire damage per hit.

Ouch!

Vhaidara
2013-12-23, 11:49 PM
BAB stops increasing at Character Level 20. just an FYI.

Also, dat 1d6 fire damage man.

JW86
2013-12-24, 12:03 AM
I'm aware that BAB works differently in epic - I was just combining the epic attack bonus into the base attack bonus for simplicity - I'll take another look at the rules here.

And LOL - yeah, that flaming enchantment really makes a difference. This sword has.. evolved.. over the course of the campaign (Starting level 1, now level 22!)

TuggyNE
2013-12-24, 12:18 AM
I'm aware that BAB works differently in epic - I was just combining the epic attack bonus into the base attack bonus for simplicity - I'll take another look at the rules here.

In this case, it doesn't matter; EAB and BAB are summed for Power Attack's maximum.