PDA

View Full Version : Solo Adventure Fail: Who needs brothels anyway?

Another_Poet
2013-12-23, 08:02 PM
Me: Sure, I'd be happy to run a solo game for you the day after Christmas. Any idea what kind of character you want to play?

Player: Yes! I was thinking something like a prostitute who escaped to start her own brothel. <<this is an exact quote

Me: Wow, that's awesome. Okay, I'll put something together!

<<spends 2 days planning for campaign>>

Me: Okay, I think I have the game planned out, one quick question. What's your brothel called?

Player: What? OH, ha, I didn't mean that literally! I just meant that kind of character. Who'd want to play a prostitute?

:confused:

Mastikator
2013-12-23, 08:26 PM
... then what's the figurative version of a prostitute that runs away to start her own brothel?

AMFV
2013-12-23, 08:33 PM
I can't think of anything that kind of character could mean other than that exact character... I mean prostitute who starts her own brothel isn't really descriptive of anything other than a prostitute who starts her own brothel. You could make an argument for former slave who becomes a slave trader I guess, but that has a different moral context at the very least.

WbtE
2013-12-23, 08:44 PM
I think the moral of the story is that you shouldn't rush to start planning a game on the basis of a quick exchange. It's always better to have a conversation and make sure that all parties are on the same page.

AMFV
2013-12-23, 08:50 PM
I think the moral of the story is that you shouldn't rush to start planning a game on the basis of a quick exchange. It's always better to have a conversation and make sure that all parties are on the same page.

I think the moral of the story is that you should be really careful what you name your threads...

Another_Poet
2013-12-23, 08:55 PM
I think the moral of the story is that you shouldn't rush to start planning a game on the basis of a quick exchange.

Yeah, lesson learned. Although I can still use most of what I came up with (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321555).

... then what's the figurative version of a prostitute that runs away to start her own brothel?

Apparently, she meant she wants to be a character who has a background in something criminal or illicit, but is also kind of taking control and changing things for the better. I can't imagine how I didn't get that.

I think the moral of the story is that you should be really careful what you name your threads...

Why? Is non-explicit mention of brothels against forum rules? <runs to check forum rules>

edit: checked, it's fine

Talya
2013-12-23, 08:56 PM
It was a side-business while adventuring, but the sorceress/heartwarder I played for 5+ years ran a brothel in Silverymoon on the side. It makes for an entertaining plot device.

AMFV
2013-12-23, 08:56 PM
Why? Is non-explicit mention of brothels against forum rules? <runs to check forum rules>

Not against forum rules, but calling something a 'solo fail' and then mentioning brothels is very easily misinterpreted in amusing ways by a casual observer.

Talya
2013-12-23, 08:57 PM
Not against forum rules, but calling something a 'solo fail' and then mentioning brothels is very easily misinterpreted in amusing ways by a casual observer.

Yes, that was my first reaction to this thread.

Another_Poet
2013-12-23, 08:58 PM
It was a side-business while adventuring, but the sorceress/heartwarder I played for 5+ years ran a brothel in Silverymoon on the side. It makes for an entertaining plot device.

Do you want to replace a player in a solo campaign on the 26th? :smallcool:

(I kid.)

Yes, that was my first reaction to this thread.

:smalleek:

edit: I changed it. I'm... not sure that it's any better.

AMFV
2013-12-23, 09:00 PM
Do you want to replace a player in a solo campaign on the 26th? :smallcool:
(I kid.)

:smalleek:
edit: I changed it. I'm... not sure that it's any better.

Even if it isn't. It still made me smile, and I don't think it was suggestive at any level beyond the mildly amusing.

veti
2013-12-23, 10:37 PM
Why? Is non-explicit mention of brothels against forum rules?

Nothing non-explicit about it, the word 'brothel' is right there in the thread title. Still not against any rule that I know of. :smallcool:

And sure, in answer to your friend - I'd play that character.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-23, 11:09 PM
Me: Sure, I'd be happy to run a solo game for you the day after Christmas. Any idea what kind of character you want to play?

Player: Yes! I was thinking something like a prostitute who escaped to start her own brothel. <<this is an exact quote

Me: Wow, that's awesome. Okay, I'll put something together!

<<spends 2 days planning for campaign>>

It would have been a better idea to get many more details on the character concept before blowing 2 days to make a campaign based around it. That said, the player could have been much more clear about his/her intentions.

Daer
2013-12-24, 12:11 AM
Fall-From-Grace (http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Fall-from-Grace) did it pretty nicely.. Though she wasn't prostitute but i think succubus would still count somehow. Have to say her brothel has been most interesting one i come to across in video games.

But have to say it was very odd way to say what kind game s/he wanted

Frozen_Feet
2013-12-24, 07:54 AM
Reminds me of a Paladin/Sacred Prostitute character I made. Good times. :smallamused:

InQbait
2013-12-24, 02:23 PM
Interesting and amusing thread title. :smallbiggrin:
I'm sorry you wasted 2 days planning a campaign that didn't happen.
Look on the bright side, if you don't lose the material you created, you could always run it for someone else?

Mr Beer
2013-12-24, 02:59 PM
"Ha ha! Oh well, that's the adventure now, I'm sure it will be fun!"

Another_Poet
2013-12-24, 07:23 PM
Reminds me of a Paladin/Sacred Prostitute character I made. Good times. :smallamused:

That sounds excellent. What system did you use? I've seen some homebrew hierodule classes for 3.x/PF....

"Ha ha! Oh well, that's the adventure now, I'm sure it will be fun!"

I told her she can play anything she wants, as long as she understands that her randomly generated starting equipment includes a fully operational whorehouse :smallcool:

Elderand
2013-12-24, 09:57 PM
That sounds excellent. What system did you use? I've seen some homebrew hierodule classes for 3.x/PF....

Sacred prostitute is from BoEF

Rhynn
2013-12-24, 10:01 PM

Silverymoon seems like exactly the kind of place to have the most sex-positive, human-rights-respecting, CG Sunite brothels ever, now that you mention it... although this may be colored by what I've read about "the unpublished Alustriel" in Ed Greenwood's own campaign.

I assume everyone knows by now what "festhall" is code for in FR material.

tulebast
2013-12-25, 12:14 AM
Who'd want to play a prostitute?

Well, in the D&D Friday night game I'm in, my ex-gf currently plays a prostitute who executed her former pimp and now runs her own (very illicit)business. Most of the other PCs have a connection to her in some way or another.

In my Tuesday night Savage Worlds game, we are running a Serenity-like campaign and I am playing a Companion (high-class prostitute), and I can say it has a lot of interesting in-play perks.

Another_Poet
2013-12-25, 12:39 AM
Sacred prostitute is from BoEF

Oh. Heh :smallamused:

Well, in the D&D Friday night game I'm in, my ex-gf currently plays a prostitute who executed her former pimp and now runs her own (very illicit)business. Most of the other PCs have a connection to her in some way or another.

In my Tuesday night Savage Worlds game, we are running a Serenity-like campaign and I am playing a Companion (high-class prostitute), and I can say it has a lot of interesting in-play perks.

These both sound amazing. I may have to send this player to you for reprogramming.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-25, 02:41 PM
Oh. Heh :smallamused:

Yup. The capstone lets you restore all of your partner's spells once per day, which I'd say handily answers this question:

Who'd want to play a prostitute?

Amaril
2013-12-25, 05:50 PM

Wait...so in Baldur's Gate, every time I stopped in Beregost and stayed at the Jovial Juggler...

...Huh. Well, that went right over my head.

Hyena
2013-12-25, 06:15 PM
Suddenly I wonder what a campaign for such a character could be like.

Another_Poet
2013-12-25, 06:50 PM

Well, it was going to start with soldiers busting into her brothel and trying to capture several clients, and a room-to-room fight breaking out with her in the middle. Turns out the clients are rebels. Then she is wrongly assumed to be conspiring with them, leading to Serious Trouble.

Plus it would be set in 19th Century Final Fantasy VII (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321555).

Lorsa
2013-12-26, 04:23 AM
I seem to remember that the first campaign I joined (or technically the second, but the first I got to be at a session in) in my new city one of the players was a prostitute who now ran her own brothel. This was in Kult though, and as far as I heard understood a step up from the previous game where two players played snuff film director and star actor...

Jlerpy
2013-12-26, 05:33 AM

Profitable?

Talya
2013-12-26, 11:34 AM
Silverymoon seems like exactly the kind of place to have the most sex-positive, human-rights-respecting, CG Sunite brothels ever, now that you mention it... although this may be colored by what I've read about "the unpublished Alustriel" in Ed Greenwood's own campaign.

I know, right? Greenwood is a pervy old man.

Since I'm a pervy young woman, and don't actually play with Ed (where he'd probably creep me out), I appreciate his mind.

What's sad is for years I lived only a 10 minute drive from the Toronto public library where Ed Greenwood has worked for most of the last 40 years. I had absolutely no idea what the Forgotten Realms was at the time, though, so I never made an effort to go meet him.

BWR
2013-12-26, 05:03 PM
I seem to remember that the first campaign I joined (or technically the second, but the first I got to be at a session in) in my new city one of the players was a prostitute who now ran her own brothel. This was in Kult though, and as far as I heard understood a step up from the previous game where two players played snuff film director and star actor...

We didn't have anything quite this bad. Just three female players who very seriously and earnestly said "Thank god, he just wants to rape us" after excaping to the mundane terrors of the inner city after a trip to Carcosa (not actual CoC Carcosa, but definitely some weird scary dream realm). Compared to what they'd seen, the thought of rape seemed almost welcome in its every-day-ness.

Jlerpy
2013-12-26, 06:08 PM
We didn't have anything quite this bad. Just three female players who very seriously and earnestly said "Thank god, he just wants to rape us" after excaping to the mundane terrors of the inner city after a trip to Carcosa (not actual CoC Carcosa, but definitely some weird scary dream realm). Compared to what they'd seen, the thought of rape seemed almost welcome in its every-day-ness.

:'(
That is deeply horrible.

SiuiS
2013-12-27, 03:32 AM
:'(
That is deeply horrible.

Yeah, that's about the best and least critical summation of my thoughts.

Rhynn
2013-12-27, 05:36 AM
I saw "rape" and "Carcosa" and assumed we were talking the OSR product, in which case "just rape" would indeed be getting off light. (Unless you're using the expurgated book, I guess.)