PDA

View Full Version : Sam and Dean Winchester are rogues

Dalebert
2013-12-23, 11:55 PM
They suck in a head-on fight but they get in some brutal sneak attacks when they catch someone (something?) off-guard or distracted. Also, they're always picking locks and making traps.

Discuss.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-12-24, 05:12 AM
They've also obviously have Diplomacy and as a class skill.

Heliomance
2013-12-24, 01:26 PM
Since when did they use Diplomacy? Bluff, and tons of it, but Diplomacy?

Also they clearly have Knowledge Devotion, and many ranks in Kn(Arcana and Religion).

Don Julio Anejo
2013-12-24, 04:37 PM
Pretty sure straight up lying falls under Diplomacy. Sue me, I don't know too much about D&D except 3.0 from playing Neverwinter Nights 1 (the one with Lady Aribeth).

Rain Dragon
2013-12-24, 07:10 PM
Pretty sure straight up lying falls under Diplomacy. Sue me, I don't know too much about D&D except 3.0 from playing Neverwinter Nights 1 (the one with Lady Aribeth).

(I usually DM a small 3.5 group). I would say a lie is a bluff check. Diplomacy is more about trying to get the other party to not pummel your face into the ground, (etc) and I don't remember Sam and Dean doing much of that. Bluffing they do quite often.

Their style does indeed seem quite roguish. That's one of the reasons I watched Supernatural for a time, but I haven't seen it in a while so I've forgotten quite a bit about the show...

Mauve Shirt
2013-12-24, 07:12 PM
I've only seen half of the first season. So far the guys have exceedingly lucky bluff roles, but their disguise checks are embarrassing.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-24, 09:33 PM
Meh.

They strike me as more rangers taking on creatures with CR's -way- above their level or maybe rogue /rangers. Definitely not straight-up rogues though. Way too combat savvy for non-combat classes.

Proud Tortoise
2013-12-25, 12:10 AM
WRONG! They're mah two rifles! </rusticaccent>

sorry.

Kato
2013-12-25, 07:08 AM
Meh.

They strike me as more rangers taking on creatures with CR's -way- above their level or maybe rogue /rangers. Definitely not straight-up rogues though. Way too combat savvy for non-combat classes.

I think that's much more fitting. Though, at least Dean has a horrible WIS score...
Also, I'll have to agree their constant lying and their disguises etc are more Bluff checks than Diplomacy. While they do use Diplomacy once in a while they much more rely on their Bluffs. ANd combat wise they are just much more reliant on tools and tactics than pure strength or back attacks. (Well, the latter too)

Heliomance
2013-12-25, 08:56 AM
I've only seen half of the first season. So far the guys have exceedingly lucky bluff roles, but their disguise checks are embarrassing.

They don't often bother with Disguise, they're much more reliant on Forgery. And after all, Forgery is opposed by Forgery, and NO-ONE takes Forgery.

SiuiS
2013-12-25, 09:52 AM

Lying is straight up bluff in 3.0.

Tychris1
2013-12-27, 03:37 AM
They also have some bad ranks in Sense Motive, as they are always either bluffing each other or being bluffed by someone else. Not to mention a TON of ranks in Gather Information (And in Dean's case Perform [Dance]).

I can't really think of when they flat out disguise themselves. I mean I guess you can call the FBI shtick a disguise, but as stated before it's more like Forgery and Bluff combo. They don't even bother changing their appearance aside from throwing on a suit or jacket.