View Full Version : Saddle weights for small or smaller characters.

Joe Eskimo
2013-12-24, 12:20 AM
I assume the weights given in the PHB are for medium characters riding a large or larger mount. So what about the little guys? Are the weights for saddles reduced for them? And by how much? 1/2 the weight like weapons and armor? Or 1/4 the weight like clothing and containers? Any official ruling on this? 40 lbs for an exotic military saddle is too much for a halfling. It's even heavier than the halfling himself.

Seerow
2013-12-24, 12:22 AM
I'd guess 1/4th like the clothing and containers, as it's closer to that than actual armor. But I don't know about an official ruling.

Joe Eskimo
2013-12-24, 06:50 AM
Anybody else? Doesn't this question have an answer?

Killer Angel
2013-12-24, 07:10 AM
Well, if you look at the rules for armor, you have that "Armor fitted for Small characters weighs half as much, and armor fitted for Large characters weighs twice as much"
(but you already know it)
The point is: I believe a saddle fits more in the armor of the Mount, rather than clothing...

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-12-24, 10:20 AM
I agree with killer angel, that saddles are equipment for the mount and assume a large mount (horse, hippogriff, griffon, medium dragons, etc.) and would be sized up and down from there.

However, I think they're clothing/containers because they aren't barding so 1/4.

Killer Angel
2013-12-24, 10:47 AM
Let's try to elaborate the problem, 'cause i was not right in my previous suggestion.

For mounts, we have barding, which is "a type of armor that covers the head, neck, chest, body, and possibly legs of a horse or other mount".
Armor for a horse (large creature) weighs twice as much as the armor found on Table: Armor and Shields. If the barding is for a pony or other medium mounts (the kind that halflings ride), the weight is the same as for medium armor.

But the "Table: Mounts and Related Gear", lists the saddle, under a different, specific voice. It's no barding (aka armor), it's a saddle.
And it appears it comes with a specific weight (for example, 30 lbs for the military one - not exotic mount), regardless of the mount's size. Weird.
By RAW, there's nothing you can do, I fear: the weight is right there, and there's no difference for sizes (otherwise, it would have been listed as in the other tables).

BUT, you have room for debate: a military saddle weights 30 lbs; Saddlebags weight 8 lbs.
But the weight for containers listed under "adventuring gears", is one-quarter, when made for small characters.
So, if you apply the "adventuring gear reasoning" to saddlebags (pretty reasonable, I would say), you can extend it to saddles, too.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-24, 02:33 PM
Or just apply the same adjustment as you would for carrying capacity. Small creatures can only carry 3/4 the weight as a Medium one? So now their stuff weights 3/4 as well.

That should balance it out.

Joe Eskimo
2013-12-24, 02:55 PM
Yeah that's the part that get's confusing. It's made to be used by small characters but worn by medium mounts. If all else fails i'll just probably give him the halfling druid substitution lvl that doesn't get penalties for riding bareback. Haha. Anyways, Merry Christmas guys! :smallsmile:

Slipperychicken
2013-12-24, 06:07 PM
Merry Christmas guys! :smallsmile:

Merry Christmas!

I know it's the 24th, cut me a break