PDA

View Full Version : Seeking brief clarification on Factotum

Nerdynick
2013-12-24, 12:47 AM
So the Cunning Strike ability allows you to gain 1d6 sneak attack damage for one inspiration point. Does this scale at all? Can you spend any amount of inspiration points to gain any amount of sneak attack?

Flickerdart
2013-12-24, 01:01 AM
So the Cunning Strike ability allows you to gain 1d6 sneak attack damage for one inspiration point. Does this scale at all? Can you spend any amount of inspiration points to gain any amount of sneak attack?
Some people say yes it stacks, because otherwise it would be useless. Some people say no it doesn't stack, because otherwise it would be too powerful. Both sides attempt to justify their view with RAW, but neither has a terribly convincing argument, as the track record shows.

Nerdynick
2013-12-24, 01:19 AM
So its pretty much up to DM interpretation?

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-24, 01:26 AM
It depends on your charm and ability to rules lawyer.

Nerdynick
2013-12-25, 11:51 AM
Okay, another quick question. This time on spellcasting.

So, the way I'm reading the Arcane Dilettante feature, you get a number of "spell slots" as shown on the class table (that don't require inspiration points to cast) and you can spend inspiration points to cast spells spontaneously after that, so long as you haven't cast the same spell in the last 8 hours. My friend, however, asserts that Arcane Dilettante is in uses per day and requires inspiration points to activate. So which, if either, of us is correct?

Also, since these are SLAs, will the Primordial Giant template's Magical Knack ability enhance their potency?

Kennisiou
2013-12-25, 12:04 PM
I remember that according to comments on a Factotum handbook I read, the designer that created the Factotum confirmed in a (now lost) post on the wizard's forums that Factotum was designed to dump as many inspiration points as they wanted into cunning strike. As for "it's broken if you do that" Rogue is a T4 class and at level 5 they get +3d6 on every valid sneak attack in an encounter with no feat investments. Factotum gets +4d6 on one sneak attack if they dump all their inspiration points in it. +10d6 if you've got three FoIs backing you up by then (which means you've invested all your feats into inspiration points and are using them for cunning strike, which is... I mean at level five I guess that's fine but as you move forward just, like, don't do that?). It definitely allows for more burst damage, but the longer the encounter the more the rogue wins out, and additionally the rogue doesn't have to give up pretty much all of their ability to use their class features just to get their big sneak attacks off.

Okay, so for Arcane Dilettante... You prepare spells, then spend inspiration points to cast those spells. You can only prepare any given spell once a day, and only get one spell of your maximum level. You do not get spontaneous casting at all.

Edit: Also, since they're SLAs, anything that effects SLAs will effect them, but they can also be prepared as metamagic feats even tough SLAs aren't generally supposed to work that way.