PDA

View Full Version : Max Cost of Item?

Yogibear41
2013-12-24, 04:42 AM
I just read in a handbook that the max cost of a magical item pre-epic is limited to 200,000 gp. Now I know you cannot go over an effective +10 bonus on a weapon or suit of armor but I was unaware of this other rule, (for say things like energy resistance and other things that could potentially push an effectively +10 suit of armor over the 200,000 cap. Is this an actual rule somewhere that I have been missing?

molten_dragon
2013-12-24, 04:55 AM
The only place I've seen that rule in print is in the Epic Level Handbook itself. The quote from it is:

The following are typical characteristics of an epic magic item. In general an item with even one of these characteristics is an epic magic item...

...Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component or experience point based costs, or additional value for intelligent items.

It might be somewhere else in the 3.5 rules, but it's not in the DMG that I could fine.

Uncle Pine
2013-12-24, 05:06 AM
I'm sure it must be somewhere in the DMG, either at the beginning of 7th chapter or at the end of it, but I can't find it atm.
But it's also in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm), just in case you don't have the ELH.

OldTrees1
2013-12-24, 08:11 AM
Anything that has a cost of more than 200,000gp using pre epic calculations becomes an epic item. Epic items cost 10x what the pre epic calculations estimate.

Ex:
Let's say I was stupid and wanted to combine an Amulet of Mighty Fists +5[150K gp] and an Amulet of the Planes[120K gp] into one item. Since this is multiple abilities on the same item the pre epic estimation is the cost of the first[150gp] + 1.5 x the cost of the second[120K gp]. This would total to 330K gp which is over the 200K gp pre epic limit. This new amulet is thus an epic item. All epic items cost 10x more so the final price of this Amulet is 3,300K gp.

Rebel7284
2013-12-24, 09:44 AM
There is a lot of "typical" and "in general" wording in that quote. I personally find it hard to believe there are no magic items costing between 200,000 and 2,000,000.

For example, a simple +5 Vorpal Dagger costs 200,302 GP. The extra 302 GP for a masterwork dagger does not make the dagger suddenly multiply the price by 10. Otherwise, having a +10 equivalent weapon would automatically be epic due to masterwork costs.

NEO|Phyte
2013-12-24, 10:14 AM
For example, a simple +5 Vorpal Dagger costs 200,302 GP. The extra 302 GP for a masterwork dagger does not make the dagger suddenly multiply the price by 10. Otherwise, having a +10 equivalent weapon would automatically be epic due to masterwork costs.

The rule for that specifically excludes the material cost of making the weapon.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-24, 11:22 AM
Anything that has a cost of more than 200,000gp using pre epic calculations becomes an epic item. Epic items cost 10x what the pre epic calculations estimate.

Don't epic items also require the appropriate Epic crafting feat?

OldTrees1
2013-12-24, 07:31 PM
There is a lot of "typical" and "in general" wording in that quote. I personally find it hard to believe there are no magic items costing between 200,000 and 2,000,000.

There are some exceptions IIRC (like the masterwork of a +5 vorpal sword).
Also a +31 Boots of Elvenkind are an Epic item(due to having a +31 bonus to a skill) and cost 961,000gp.

Don't epic items also require the appropriate Epic crafting feat?

Yes epic items also require the Epic crafting feat in addition to costing 10x as much.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-24, 08:29 PM
The X10 multiplier doesn't apply to epic items that are epic by virtue of costing over 200k. They only demand the appropriate epic craft feat.

To get the X10 multiplier an item has to have a bonus or, in the cases of weapons and armor, effective bonus that exceeds the normal limit; +5 for most things, +8 for armor bonus, +10 for enhancement to armor and weapon bonuses, etc.

Uncle Pine
2013-12-25, 04:10 AM
The X10 multiplier doesn't apply to epic items that are epic by virtue of costing over 200k. They only demand the appropriate epic craft feat.

To get the X10 multiplier an item has to have a bonus or, in the cases of weapons and armor, effective bonus that exceeds the normal limit; +5 for most things, +8 for armor bonus, +10 for enhancement to armor and weapon bonuses, etc.

Bullseye!

Use the guidelines for nonepic magic items to determine the market price of an epic magic item, with one addition: If the item gives a bonus beyond the limit allowed in for normal, nonepic magic items, multiply the portion of the market price derived from that characteristic by 10. Some epic characteristics, such as caster level, don’t trigger this multiplier.

So if you have an item that grants +8 Str and +10 to Climb, you'd only have to multiply x10 the price from the Str bonus. Which is neat, because I always assumed you had to multiply the entire price.