PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The Runner, Master of Movement [PEACH]

ikkyblob
2013-12-24, 10:02 AM
The Runner

To some, the world is a hunting ground. To others, it is a giant charity case, begging to be nurtured. Yet others just want to watch it burn. To a runner, the world is none of these things. The world is an obstacle course, a giant test of skill that they were born to defeat. Runners live to explore the world and to reach it's greatest heights.

Role: Runners excel at total mobility. They can get in and out of danger at extreme speeds and move in ways unavailable to other classes. They can't dish out as much damage as other characters, nor can they hold up to it particularly well, but that requires someone to land a hit.

Alignment: Due to their typical disposition, runners are rarely lawful, but may be of any alignment.

Hit Die: d8

Starting Wealth: 4d6 × 10 gp (average 140 gp.) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.

Class Skills
The runner's class skills are Acrobatics, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Fly, Intimidate, Dungeoneering, Geography, Nature, Perception, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Survival, Swim

Skill Ranks per Level: 7 + Int modifier.

Table: Runner
The following is a redone version of the first 5 levels and some sample techniques.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Speed Bonus
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Dash, fast movement|+5
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Runner technique, skirmish|+10
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Easy terrain|+15
4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Runner technique|+20
5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Tread softly|+25
6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Runner technique|+30
7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Free body, free mind|+35[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the runner.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A runner is proficient with all simple and martial light weapons and with light armor, but not with shields.

Dash (Ex)
Just as barbarians call upon inner reserves to generate brutish strength, so too does the runner call upon similar reserves to create a burst of speed. Starting at 1st level, a runner may use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + his Dexterity modifier. At each level after 1st, he may dash for 2 additional rounds. Temporary increases to Dexterity do not increase the total number of rounds that a runner can dash per day. A runner can start or end a dash as a free action. A runner may not dash if cowering, dazed, dead, disabled, dying, entangled, exhausted, fascinated, fatigued, frightened, grappled, helpless, panicked, paralyzed, petrified, pinned, prone, shaken, staggered, stunned, unconscious, or otherwise prevented from being capable of running. If a runner enters one of these states while dashing, the dash immediately ends.

When dashing, the runner's speed is doubled and he may take an additional swift action as part of his turn. Also, if a runner takes a full-attack action while dashing, he may also take a move action, attacking at any point along the move at a -5 penalty. He may also take his standard, move, or swift action as part of a move. He may use this to make a single attack while moving without incurring a penalty. He still provokes attacks of opportunity when moving in either of these ways.

Fast Movement (Ex)
Runners are well known for their intense speed, and for good reason. A runner gains a bonus to their movement speed equal to five times his runner level. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor or light armor, and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the runner's speed because of any load carried, armor worn, or speed altering abilities. This bonus stacks with any other bonuses to the runner's land speed.

Skirmish (Ex)
At 2nd level, the runner gains the ability to move in and out of combat without harm. A runner does not provoke attacks of opportunity for moving, or standing from prone, including while dashing.

Runner Techniques (Ex)
As a runner gains levels, he discovers new ways to move and explore the world. Starting at 2nd level, a runner gains a runner technique. He gains another runner technique for every two levels of runner attained after 2nd level. Unless otherwise noted, a runner cannot select an individual technique more than once.

Greater Techniques
At 10th level, and every two levels thereafter, a runner can choose one greater technique in place of a runner technique.

Elder Techniques
At 16th level, and every two levels thereafter, a runner can choose one elder technique in place of a runner technique.

Easy Terrain (Ex)
Upon reaching 3rd level, a runner begins to become more able to move unencumbered by the world around him. He may travel through difficult terrain as if it were normal terrain. Terrain that has been magically altered still affects him normally.

Tread Softly (Ex)
At 5th level, a runner can run with astonishing silence. He may make stealth checks while moving at full speed with no penalty and make stealth checks while running or charging at a -10 penalty.

Free Body (Ex)
At 7th level, a runner gains the ability to use his dash to free his body from restraints. He may use a swift action to expend a use of Dash to remove one of the following conditions: entangled, exhausted, fatigued, grappled, or paralyzed, or staggered. If the condition he wishes to remove requires a saving throw, he instead is given an attempt at the saving throw. He may alternatively stabilize if dying.

Free Mind (Ex)
At 7th level, a runner gains the ability to use his dash to free his mind from restraints. He may use a swift action to expend a use of Dash to remove one of the following conditions: cowering, dazed, fascinated, shaken, or stunned. He may alternatively reduce any fear effect by one step. If the condition he wishes to remove or reduce requires a saving throw, he instead is given an attempt at the saving throw.

Techniques

Evasion (Ex): A runner can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the runner is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless runner does not gain the benefit of evasion. A runner must be at least 4th level to select this technique.

Just a Blur (Ex): Whenever a dashing runner moves or runs, he gains a dodge bonus to AC and a bonus to stealth checks equal to his runner level until his next turn. A runner must have the tread softly class feature to select this technique.

Leap (Ex): While dashing, a runner may leap over a gap whose distance is equal to or less than half of their fast movement speed bonus without an acrobatics check.

Nimble Attack (Ex): Any time a runner makes an attack while moving, he may deal extra damage equal to his runner level. This attack denies the target its Dex bonus to AC. A runner may not deal sneak attack damage with the same attack unless the target's Dex bonus to AC is denied by some other source. If the runner takes any rogue talents or ninja tricks that affect the sneak attack, they instead affect the nimble attack, if applicable.

Slow Fall (Ex): A runner with this technique does not end his dash if he begins falling. If a runner would fall during his turn, he may expend ten feet of movement to safely fall five feet, as if under the effects of a slow fall spell. If he would fall at the end of his turn, or outside of his turn, he instead begins falling or slow falling at the start of his next turn. He may choose to suspend or renew this ability with a free action at any time.

Standing Dash (Ex): A runner with this technique may start a dash while prone. If he starts a dash while prone, he instantly stands up as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Talents and Tricks: The runner may select a rogue talent or a ninja trick in place of a runner technique. He may not select a rogue talent or ninja trick that shares its name with a runner technique. This technique may be selected multiple times.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A runner can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He cannot be caught flat-footed, nor does he lose his Dex bonus to AC if the attacker is invisible. He still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. A runner with this ability can still lose his Dexterity bonus to AC if an opponent successfully uses the feint action (see Combat) against him. A runner must be at least 4th level to select this technique.

Wall Run (Ex): While dashing, a runner may move across vertical surfaces using his land speed as if it were a climb speed. This requires him to make an acrobatics check, with its DC equaling the climb DC of the wall. If a runner ends his turn on a wall, he begins to fall and his dash immediately ends. He may choose to suspend or renew this ability with a free action at any time.

Water Run (Ex): When dashing, a runner may move across surfaces as if the under effects of a Water Walk spell. He may choose to suspend or renew this ability with a free action at any time.

Greater Techniques

Air Run (Ex): When dashing, a runner may move across mid air as if it were solid ground. If a runner ends his turn in midair, he begins to fall and his dash immediately ends. A runner must have the Water Run technique to select this technique. He may choose to suspend or renew this ability with a free action at any time.

Greater Wall Run (Ex): A runner with this technique may move across surfaces as per the Wall Run technique, except that he need not make an acrobatics check to succeed. A runner must have the Wall Run technique to select this technique. He may choose to suspend or renew this ability with a free action at any time.

Improved Evasion (Ex): Upon selecting this technique, a runner's evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless runner does not gain the benefit of improved evasion. A runner must have Evasion from the Evasion technique or non-runner class levels to select this technique.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A runner with this technique can no longer be flanked.
This defense denies anyone the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has runner levels.
If a character already has uncanny dodge from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.
A runner must have Uncanny Dodge from the Uncanny Dodge technique or non-runner class levels to select this technique.

Slower Fall (Ex): A runner with this technique may fall slowly as per the Slow Fall technique, except that he may safely fall five feet expending only five feet of movement. He may choose to suspend or renew this ability with a free action at any time. A runner must have the Slow Fall technique to select this technique.

Elder Techniques

Ninja Fall (Ex): A runner with this technique may fall slowly as per the Slow Fall technique, except that he may safely fall ten feet by expending only five feet of movement. He may choose to suspend or renew this ability with a free action at any time. A runner must have the Slower Fall technique to select this technique.

Sky Run (Ex): When dashing, a runner may move across mid air as if it were solid ground, as per the spell Air Walk. If the runner ends his turn in midair, he remains aloft until his dash ends. He may choose to suspend or renew this ability with a free action at any time. A runner must have the Air Run technique to select this technique.

Spider Run (Ex): A runner with this technique may move across vertical surfaces as per the Greater Wall Run technique, except that he does not fall if he ends his turn on a wall. He may choose to suspend or renew this ability with a free action at any time. A runner must have the Greater Wall Run technique to select this technique.

ikkyblob
2013-12-24, 10:03 AM
(reserved in case I need more room for techniques)

qazzquimby
2013-12-24, 01:16 PM
I'm really excited to see how this develops.

Improved uncanny dodge says barbarian instead of runner.

Maybe remove the penalty to move silently checks while moving quickly, and maybe a bonus to disarm checks, for mirror's edge style combat.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-24, 09:37 PM
I have my own rendition of the Runner (see my sig), take a look at it if you want to compare them.

Seerow
2013-12-24, 11:01 PM
Unless the techniques you have in mind are amazing, this is a really weak class even for a mundane Pathfinder class.

He gains some extra actions, but nothing to do with those actions. He gets some increased movement, but still gets outpaced by low level spells. His most impressive effect is the ability to run across tree tops/water/lava, which is kind of cool for level 5, but then he just stops progressing altogether. Why doesn't he ever get the ability to run on walls and ceilings (seriously that's a low level feat)? Why can't he ever get the ability to run so fast he doesn't start falling until his turn is over (poor man's fly)? Why can't he run faster than other people can perceive his movement (effectively teleport within his move speed)? Why doesn't he gain the capability to survive and continue to run into/through other planes?

Ultimately, why would I ever want to play this class when I can encompass the entire concept better by playing as a Sorcerer with a mobility focused spell selection with a little refluffing? Seriously straight up casting Expeditious Retreat will let the sorcerer run 240 feet in a round. That's a 1st level spell. Your Runner can go at most 320ft per round at level 17. That is a major issue. At level 11 you are only running 200ft, and the sorcerer wins in a foot race. What is this class supposed to actually do? What role do you see it having in the party? What use do you see his running capability having?

Is he supposed to be the Flash, moving faster than the blink of an eye, skirmishing by running up to enemies, attacking, and moving outside their move range before they can react? If so he needs to get ways to get more than a single standard action on the move much earlier than he does. Because right now? He's a rogue with no sneak attack. You can give him 3 full round actions in a turn at level 6, and the Barbarian, Rogue, and Paladin are still going to outclass him every way possible there (Though you wouldn't want to do that mostly due to caster shenanigans, it's demonstrative of how incapable the class is right now).

Actually on that note, this is a ridiculously good dip for a caster. 1 level gets you 2+dex mod rounds per day with an extra swift action. Your only penalty is a -2 to any roll you make, but any spell you're using doesn't require a roll. So you've got a mundane class that doesn't do mundane combat well... but makes for an exceptional caster power boost.

Is he supposed to be a scout? Running ahead, ignoring all of the enemies and traps simply by virtue of them being incapable of keeping up with him? Then he should be moving faster at earlier levels (as far as I can tell he's moving only 80ft per round while using Light Steps at level 5. A normal enemy using run can outpace him unless he blows dash to boost up to 160ft. Light Steps at the very least should use his run speed, but Fast Movement should be scaling more regardless).

Is he supposed to be something else? What? What role does this class actually fill? What is he supposed to do? What does he contribute? At what point is he actually good at anything? All of the actions in the world don't matter if you've got nothing to spend them on.

I don't know, maybe you're planning to include some really powerful running techniques that answer all of my issues and clearly define what the class is intended to be doing. But given you didn't even provide a few as examples, I'm doubting it.

ikkyblob
2013-12-25, 04:13 PM
In response to Seerow, this is a very early build. I honestly had no idea the potential for speed that other classes had. Looking at the monk alone, it gets much more by way of speed. Most of the abilities were practically ripped from other classes. For example, Light Steps is a level 6 ninja ability. Parkour is a reworked Trap Sense. I mostly made this class for a character of mine. He is a self-dubbed "waverunner." The whole concept is to dart in and out of combat at high speed, moving across obstacles like they're nothing. Most of the reason it turned out underpowered is because there is very little by way of core Pathfinder classes that can move in the way a Runner should. Earlier concepts included a ranger-esque favored terrain system that granted movement abilities based on certain terrains, but I abandoned that after seeing that a ninja could have many of those abilities and more at a much lower level, so I tried reworking it. Needless to say, it didn't work the best.

P.S. I am currently redoing the first few levels of the runner and I will post them for review when finished.

ikkyblob
2013-12-25, 06:33 PM
The following is a redone version of the first 5 levels and some sample techniques.
*removed*

All of the material originally in this post is now in the OP.

JKTrickster
2013-12-25, 10:30 PM
Actually the conditions that limit Dash are just too common... Sure they can work at low levels but at high levels the Runner class should be able to Dash out of those conditions with a sort of Freedom of Movement type ability.

This class should get Mobility type feats for free.

At its current state, it can totally have skirmish extra damage. Even have it apply to different creatures too

awa
2013-12-26, 12:06 AM
it looks to me like this class will be really easy to hit
I feel like a super fast agile guy should be harder to hit.
Mabey something like the scouts bonus defense on rounds he moves would help.

ikkyblob
2013-12-26, 10:29 AM
Actually the conditions that limit Dash are just too common... Sure they can work at low levels but at high levels the Runner class should be able to Dash out of those conditions with a sort of Freedom of Movement type ability.

This class should get Mobility type feats for free.

At its current state, it can totally have skirmish extra damage. Even have it apply to different creatures too

I will look at those suggestions, and I have had the idea for a string of techniques that allow one to expend a round of their dash to remove one of the "No Dashing" conditions. Admittedly, many of the feats in the mobility and dodge tree are made obsolete by runner abilities. Mobility itself, which makes it harder to be hit by opportunity attacks, is outclassed by the skirmish ability. The only difference is that Mobility affects all opportunity attacks.

it looks to me like this class will be really easy to hit
I feel like a super fast agile guy should be harder to hit.
Mabey something like the scouts bonus defense on rounds he moves would help.

I do like the idea to give an AC bonus for moving. Keep in mind, however, that the runner is very hard to hit in melee combat; most of his attacks are made while moving out of range of the enemy, making opportunity attacks some of the only attacks against him, which are completely obliterated after 2nd level. I did forget to add a generic "make only one attack while you move" ability. I will add that in right now. Also, there are the evasion and uncanny dodge traits, which help prevent hits.

awa
2013-12-26, 01:37 PM
there are still readied action and the fact that not all fights will be in areas big enough to get out of your foes charge range.

ikkyblob
2013-12-26, 02:14 PM
I have just posted several updates to the runner. Most notably, Free Body and Free Mind.

qazzquimby
2013-12-26, 03:35 PM
This might be absurd, but perhaps whenever whenever the runner would be targetted by an opportunity attack which misses, the runner can make an attack on the person. That way you can run through a crowd, slashing at everything, assuming you can handle the opp attacks.

ikkyblob
2013-12-26, 04:31 PM
This might be absurd, but perhaps whenever whenever the runner would be targeted by an opportunity attack which misses, the runner can make an attack on the person. That way you can run through a crowd, slashing at everything, assuming you can handle the opp attacks.

That does seem like an interesting idea. It would probably work best as a technique or an archetype, though, given the whole skirmish ability; no opportunity attacks means no misses.

On the subject of archetypes, does anyone have any ideas for them?
I am open to suggestions for everything, from techniques, to class features, to feats.

qazzquimby
2013-12-26, 10:28 PM
What is an archetype? I dont know much PF.
Can you summarize what the class is able to do so far?
If the class isnt entirely mundane, I imagine parkouring with a chain of short teleports, featherfalls, and spiderclimbs would be fun and effective.

EDIT: also look at this. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jumper_(3.5e_Class))

ikkyblob
2013-12-27, 10:27 AM
Archetypes are kind of like ordering a meal, but swapping your soup for a salad. They let you gain new abilities at the cost of old ones. For example, a rogue can take the Acrobat archetype, replacing their trapfinding and trap sense with Expert Acrobat and Second Chance. In the case of rogue archetypes, some grant new rogue talents or come with recommended talents that compliment the archetype.
For now, all of the runner's abilities are technically mundane, but they simulate more magical abilities. I already had some spider climb type things in the works, I just updated the OP with that and some slow fall, among other things.

P.S. I love that jumper class. I may may some archetypes or core abilities based on it.

ikkyblob
2013-12-28, 12:32 AM
In my previous post, I forgot to summarize the abilities, so I will do that here.

A 7th level runner may move quickly, dash (move faster and extra swift action), move without provoking opportunity attacks, attack mid-move, expend his dash to remove a negative condition or stabilize if dying, and have a few extra abilites.
These extra abilities include: Evasion and Improved Evasion, Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge, a slow fall that uses up movement (you may improve its efficiency), a water walk spell that works while dashing and progresses into pseudo-flight, Wall run that eventually becomes like a spider climb, and a bonus to damage if you attack while moving.

I also have and idea for an archetype called the Timerunner (though I may change the name to something that encompasses space-time, rather than just time as both are affected by the Timerunner's abilites. Any suggestions?) Abilities I see him as having include the following:

Splitting one's own time stream to flank with themselves.
Splitting one's own time stream to be in multiple places at once or do multiple things at once.
Treat your moves as teleports, disregarding anything between point A and point B
Cast slow and haste upon yourself and/or others.
Forseeing the effects of a choice
See multiple potential timelines and picking one
A dimension door sort of power
Warping the properties of something
Changing the contents of a square
Creating Demiplanes (this may be getting a bit too far from the original concept, so I think it will have to go to another class)
Revising a past action

That last thought gives me an idea for a bard archetype, so I may post the two in a separate thread, containing space-time based archetypes, and/or possibly a class (or two or three, depending on how I choose to do it)