PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility help

Hannes
2007-01-18, 03:28 PM
Does being invisible mean that creatures attacked by an invisible creature are flatfooted unless they detect/see invisible them?

Ikkitosen
2007-01-18, 03:29 PM
Flatfooted? No. Denied their Dex. bonus to AC? Yes.

Hannes
2007-01-18, 03:33 PM
Thanks. Really.

Jack Mann
2007-01-18, 03:56 PM
Greater Invisibility: The rogue's friend!

Woot Spitum
2007-01-18, 04:06 PM
IT's very hard for sorcerers/wizards to stay alive without it.

TheOOB
2007-01-18, 07:14 PM
IT's very hard for sorcerers/wizards to stay alive without it.

I wouldn't rely on it too much however, invisibility is twarted by the easy to aquire see invisibility. At later levels illusions for protectoin acually become pretty poor as the spell true seeing pretty much completely negates most the schools spells.

Aximili
2007-01-18, 08:05 PM
Swift invisibility is a great option at lower levels. Specially if you get surronded by opponents.

Hario
2007-01-19, 12:46 AM
Now here's a question I've been meaning to ask if your in a battle 2v1 and you are flanked on both sides, and you are able to cast invisibilty and run, do you provoke AoO's?

Douglas
2007-01-19, 12:52 AM
You provoke for casting a spell unless you cast it defensively, which requires a concentration check to avoid having it fizzle. Once you are invisible, you only provoke AoOs from people who can see you. If neither opponent has a means of seeing invisible creatures then neither opponent gets an AoO when you run.

TheOOB
2007-01-19, 12:53 AM
Now here's a question I've been meaning to ask if your in a battle 2v1 and you are flanked on both sides, and you are able to cast invisibilty and run, do you provoke AoO's?

Only if they have some way to see invisibility. People can not make an AoO on a target who has cover or concealment reletive to them, and not having line of sight to a target (such as the case with an invisible target) causes total concealment.

So, no See Invisibility, no AoO vs Invisible foes.

cupkeyk
2007-01-19, 04:27 AM
Blink and it's improved version is better

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-19, 04:36 AM
Blink and it's improved version is better

Except that there's a chance you're not on the Material when you try to hit someone.

Invisibility < Blink < Greater Invisibility < Improved Blink < Ethereal Jaunt/Etherealness if you also have a spell that allows an attack roll and deals force damage (Orb of Force, for example).

Obviously you need to be gestalt to do this well.. >.>

cupkeyk
2007-01-19, 04:40 AM
Unless its improved blink, or if you are using a weapon just buy a ghost touch weapon

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-19, 04:48 AM
...Well, yes.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-19, 05:35 AM
I wouldn't rely on it too much however, invisibility is twarted by the easy to aquire see invisibility. At later levels illusions for protectoin acually become pretty poor as the spell true seeing pretty much completely negates most the schools spells.

True, but how many times a day you see a wizard say "I'll cast See Invisibility. Ya know, just in case."
Usually when they need to use it, they already got at least a stab. If the attacker was under normal Invisibility, he already lost it so the See spell is useless.
There are some effects that gives you it 24h/day, though, so it's a good idea to get it as soon as possible.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-19, 05:44 AM
Roderick: at 10 minutes/level, whenever you're anticipating trouble. At high levels, two castings and a lesser Extend rod let you have it up all day.

PinkysBrain
2007-01-19, 06:15 AM
I wouldn't rely on it too much however, invisibility is twarted by the easy to aquire see invisibility.
Actually it's way too hard to acquire ... my DM houseruled see invisibility as range touch so it could at least be put in potions.

Person_Man
2007-01-19, 10:35 AM
I would suggest that if you have access to Invisibility and/or Greater Invisibility, that you only use it when you need to use it, and not in every combat.

If you use it in every combat, the DM will feel compelled to have more enemies that can See Invisibility, Tremorsense, Dispel Magic, etc., simply for game balance purposes.

If you use it sparingly, when you ambush an enemy or must escape being killed, you'll usually be able to use it a lot more in the long run, and you'll almost never die.

Even though it obviously makes more tactical sense to use it before every combat, strategically you want to be able to use it without your DM thwarting you in order to prevent you from being untouchable in every combat.

Inigo_Carmine
2007-01-19, 07:55 PM
People can not make an AoO on a target who has cover or concealment reletive to them
Technically it's cover or total concealment. Partial concealment does nothing to protect you from AoOs.

or if you are using a weapon just buy a ghost touch weapon
Ghost touch weapons will not help you strike material targets when you are on the ethereal plane (or vice versa). It helps with incorpereal situations, not ethereal situations.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-19, 09:31 PM
Ghost touch weapons will not help you strike material targets when you are on the ethereal plane (or vice versa). It helps with incorpereal situations, not ethereal situations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the DnD definition of "incorporeal" something along the lines of "on the ethereal plane"? Also, a Ghost Touch weapon can harm someone under the effects of Blink (albeit with a concealement miss chance; someone with a Ghost Touch weapon and See Invisible fights a Blinking creature normally).

Douglas
2007-01-19, 09:55 PM
No, incorporeality (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#incorporeality) is a very different thing from etherealness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#etherealness). You need a force effect, gaze effect, or abjuration to affect an ethereal creature - ghost touch doesn't qualify. The Transdimensional metamagic feat from Complete Arcane allows all spells to affect ethereal targets, but I don't know of any other exceptions. Also, all of these effects are one-way - a Magic Missile cast by an ethereal creature will not affect a material target.