PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] The Counterintuitive Metamagic Thread

Fax Celestis
2013-12-24, 01:44 PM
That is to say, "Making magic terrible with poorly applied metamagic."

Example: Dazing Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/dazing-spell-metamagic) applied to mass snake's swiftness: all allies in the spell's area would be able to make an immediate attack, if they hadn't all just been dazed by an effect that discriminates friends from foes.

Alent
2013-12-24, 02:04 PM
That sounds like a marvelous contingent spell with a condition of "being subject to a charm person spell"

Zweisteine
2013-12-24, 02:43 PM
Invisible Obscuring Mist: "There's nothing there, but I can't see! Why can't I see?"

eggynack
2013-12-24, 02:46 PM
Invisible Obscuring Mist: "There's nothing there, but I can't see! Why can't I see?"
Actually, that's kinda awesome, bordering on a commonly discussed combo. You get to see perfectly well, as does an enemy looking in, but an enemy with see invisibility or something would face concealment. It works pretty well in combination with normal fog or invisibility.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-24, 02:53 PM
Heighten + No-save spell.

Maximized/Empowered spell without variable numeric effects.

Silent Spell on spells which already lack verbal components.

Still spell on spells which lack somatic components.

Zweisteine
2013-12-24, 02:53 PM
And Invisible Invisibility, used alongside normal invisibility. Now nobody can see you, and I mean nobody.

pwykersotz
2013-12-24, 02:55 PM
That is to say, "Making magic terrible with poorly applied metamagic."

Example: Dazing Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/dazing-spell-metamagic) applied to mass snake's swiftness: all allies in the spell's area would be able to make an immediate attack, if they hadn't all just been dazed by an effect that discriminates friends from foes.

I don't think that quite works, as according to the link you provided, the target needs to be damaged by the spell for the daze to take hold. Is there a way to make a beneficial spell do damage?

Spore
2013-12-24, 03:01 PM
I'll add Silent Shout and Merciful Finger of Death

Silent Shout: The caster does his finger mumbo jumbo and open the mouth and enemies start dying.

Merciful Finger of Death: Behold the vile necromantic magic of being really really tired!

avr
2013-12-24, 03:13 PM
Toppling spell works on anyone moved or damaged by the spell. So Toppling Telekinetic Charge would not be a nice thing to do to an ally.

Umbral spell on a magical light spell with an area lit greater than 10' radius would be interesting, it would lower light in that 10' radius and increase the light level beyond that. Hard to imagine what you would see when you look at the source of an Umbral Continual Flame.

avr
2013-12-24, 03:27 PM
I'll add Silent Shout and Merciful Finger of Death

Silent Shout: The caster does his finger mumbo jumbo and open the mouth and enemies start dying.

Merciful Finger of Death: Behold the vile necromantic magic of being really really tired!
Merciful Harm on the other hand ... nonlethal damage doesn't usually reduce your hit points, so the line about not reducing the target to less than 1 hp doesn't take effect.