PDA

View Full Version : Proper wealth level for starting campaign at various levels?

Randomocity132
2013-12-24, 02:48 PM
Friend of mine is starting to DM his first campaign, where the players will start off at level 5. What is the appropriate level of wealth (all items and pocket gold included) for characters of this level, assuming that it's a typical D&D setting with no special restrictions or rulings. What about for starting at level 7? What do you usually use to start with, and is there any "official" listing for this? If there is an official listing, is it appropriate? Trying to get a feel for what most people use for starting campaigns.

Flickerdart
2013-12-24, 02:49 PM
There are guidelines in the DMG for how much each PC should have at each level. Google "wealth by level table" if you can't find it.

Artillery
2013-12-24, 02:57 PM
Friend of mine is starting to DM his first campaign, where the players will start off at level 5. What is the appropriate level of wealth (all items and pocket gold included) for characters of this level, assuming that it's a typical D&D setting with no special restrictions or rulings. What about for starting at level 7? What do you usually use to start with, and is there any "official" listing for this? If there is an official listing, is it appropriate? Trying to get a feel for what most people use for starting campaigns.

Official Wealth by level is in the DMG on page 135, table 5-1. My DM usually does 10k GP to start a 5th level campaign, you can't spend more then 50% of your wealth on a single item.

Randomocity132
2013-12-24, 02:59 PM
I ask because the list in the DMG seems like it doesn't provide that much, and I see all of these "starting equipment" lists for level 5-7 characters on these forums with huge lists of magic items and I'm wondering how they can possibly afford it. I suspect that most people don't use the table in the DMG, so I was wondering what most people use.

GameSpawn
2013-12-24, 03:35 PM
I ask because the list in the DMG seems like it doesn't provide that much, and I see all of these "starting equipment" lists for level 5-7 characters on these forums with huge lists of magic items and I'm wondering how they can possibly afford it. I suspect that most people don't use the table in the DMG, so I was wondering what most people use.

In my experience, >80% of people use the WBL table in the DMG, and it's a pretty good standard (most of those that don't are (hopefully intentionally) especially high or especially low power campaigns). Certainly it's good enough for a first campaign.

If you have some specific list of equipment that's an example of what you're talking about, provide a link and we'll go from there.

Randomocity132
2013-12-24, 03:55 PM
In my experience, >80% of people use the WBL table in the DMG, and it's a pretty good standard (most of those that don't are (hopefully intentionally) especially high or especially low power campaigns). Certainly it's good enough for a first campaign.

If you have some specific list of equipment that's an example of what you're talking about, provide a link and we'll go from there.

First example I found is for a level 7 rogue here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321594

GameSpawn
2013-12-24, 04:50 PM
I'm not familiar with every item on that list, but it looks like this is maybe 6000 beyond WBL? They have two +2 equivalent weapons, approximately two +2 equivalent defensive items, a +2 ability enhancer and a plethora of useful items. This isn't really necessary to face CR 7 challenges, in my experience.

Some DM's like to run particularly high powered games, meaning they grant a greater amount of wealth to their players. For a new DM, I wouldn't recommend that; I think sticking to the WBL is the right decision. Fundamentally, the DM can give out however much wealth they want and adjust the power level of the opponents accordingly, but the source materials assume characters have wealth close to what's on the table.

EDIT: Realized I screwed up my math so it's more like 14000 over, but my point still stands.

Averis Vol
2013-12-24, 05:25 PM
DMG WBL is 9k for level 5. if you want to find out for different levels, type in character wealth by level on the internet.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-24, 06:04 PM
Pretty much every campaign i've been in that started at a level other then 1 had standard WBL (some had less in a few survivor-style games).
If your DM is relatively new and doing things "by the book" sticking with standard wealth is probably best.

Randomocity132
2013-12-24, 08:12 PM
DMG WBL is 9k for level 5. if you want to find out for different levels, type in character wealth by level on the internet.

Maybe I'm misreading it? I thought the chart said 5k.

OldTrees1
2013-12-24, 08:19 PM
Maybe I'm misreading it? I thought the chart said 5k.

At ECL 5 in 3.5:
9K for PCs, 4.3K for NPCs

Randomocity132
2013-12-24, 08:22 PM
At ECL 5 in 3.5:
9K for PCs, 4.3K for NPCs

oh....

I'm definitely misreading that, then. What page is it for Players?

GameSpawn
2013-12-24, 08:27 PM
oh....

I'm definitely misreading that, then. What page is it for Players?

Page 135 in the DMG