PDA

View Full Version : Mtg color wheel: three color gods. Help!

D20ragon
2013-12-24, 03:25 PM
The title says it all. I'm coming up with a setting, and instead of alignment I am using the color wheel. I'd like each god to have three colors, so 10 gods total. However, there is a twist.
Really, there is only 5 gods, but each has 2 aspects. Think Greek and Roman gods. Same gods, a bit different. So what I'm asking help with is coming up with is 5 gods, each representing 3 colors, and their other aspects, which are also 3 colors.
Any ideas?

Omnicrat
2013-12-24, 04:38 PM
Not sure about the secondary aspects, but some basic ideas for 5 gods would be...

White/Green/Blue God of community and civilization

Blue/White/Black God of progress

Black/Blue/Red God of corruption

Red/Black/Green God of individuality

Green/Red/White God of purity

I'm still feeling a little sick so I can't really go into more detail now, maybe in a day or two.

D20ragon
2013-12-24, 04:41 PM
Much appreciated, thanks! :smallsmile:
Sorry you're sick though. That sucks.

ben-zayb
2013-12-27, 10:16 PM
Well, MtG itself have Dual- and Mono-colored Gods (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Gods_%28creature_type%29) in their latest expansion in the plane of Theros, which is also inspired by Greek mythology.

toapat
2013-12-27, 10:45 PM
Not sure about the secondary aspects, but some basic ideas for 5 gods would be...

White/Green/Blue God of community and civilization

Blue/White/Black God of progress

Black/Blue/Red God of corruption

Red/Black/Green God of individuality

Green/Red/White God of purity

I'm still feeling a little sick so I can't really go into more detail now, maybe in a day or two.

Actually, you pretty much made massive mistakes with all of these, You pretty much defined the monocolored versions barring the nayan god

God of Bant: Protection, Order

God of Esper: God of Science, Thaumaturgy, and Knowledge. God of Secrets, Deception, and obsession

God of Grixis: God of Greed, God of Entropy

God of Jund: God of the primal, God of Strife

God of Naya: twin Gods of nature, Growth, and conflict.

God of RWB: Goddess of Might, Goddess of War, Goddess of Ambition

God of GUR: God of Evolution, God of Improvement

God of WBG: God of Death (This guy should be the same for both sides)

God of URW: Goddess of Valor, Goddess of Passion

God of BGU: God of devastation, God of Insanity

Xefas
2013-12-28, 12:09 AM
Pyrgos/Teichia is Civilization and the Knowledge that empowers it. Through one lens, he is the Green, White, and Blue deity of lordship, order, harmony, valor, and protection. His holy symbol is a vertical cylinder ending in a stylized parapet, symbolizing the tower that guards. Pyrgos is often portrayed as a wizened old man with a white beard, a firm gaze, and immaculate golden armor. Through another perspective, Teichia is the White, Blue, and Black goddess of knowledge, language, wisdom, and secrets. Her holy symbol is a vertical cylinder ending in a flame, symbolizing the torch of thought that illuminates the darkness of ignorance. She is often portrayed as a wizened old woman with flowing white hair, a cold gaze, and a massive golden tome.

Riza/Dontios is nature, its loving Growth and its fierce Predators. Riza is the White, Green, and Red goddess of plants, herbivores, evolution, fertility, and symbiosis. Her holy symbol is a patch of fur strung with leaves and berries, symbolizing the quiet strength of the natural world. She is portrayed as a middle-aged woman with portions of her flesh growing into verdant and beautiful flora of all kinds. Seen another way, however, Dontios is the Green, Red, Black god of hunger, hunting, predators, savagery, and rage. His symbol is a patch of fur strung with the dismembered teeth and claws of wild animals, symbolizing what is to be feared in the natural world. He is often portrayed as a middle-aged man with the features of a large predator, such as a wolf or a bear, superimposed over his own.

Omorfia/Spatho is both Seduction, that which is offered by power, wealth, and lust, and the Conquest required to take it. Omorfia is Blue, Black, and Red. She stands for pleasure, beauty, greed, gluttony, happiness, and ambition. Her holy symbol is an open hand with a gem in it, symbolizing the acquisition of what one wants. Similarly, she is a beautiful young woman whose hands overflow with plenty, and whose eyes shine like stars. His other side is Spatho, a White, Red, and Black master of war, conquest, slavery, pain, and conviction. His holy symbol is a clenched fist drenched in blood, symbolizing the price to be paid, by one's self and one's enemies, to achieve one's ends. He is a young man, of conscription age, with a crimson blade and a tarnished shield.

Dromos/Poikilia is the fated Journey and the Chaos of life. Dromos is a Red, Blue, and White god of roads, traveling, seasons, coincidence, and fate. His holy symbol is an unmarred sphere, symbolizing the constancy in the infinite possibilities of each day. He takes the form of an older gentleman in worn traveling clothes, face beaten by rain and sun, and hands calloused by many hard days of work. Her other half is that of Poikilia, the Blue, Green, and Red trickster-goddess of luck, chance, chaos, life, and arbitrariness. Her holy symbol is a broken sphere, symbolizing that nothing is constant, fair, or reliable, and that anything can be changed given the right variables falling meaninglessly in one's favor. She is an older woman in gaudy clothes and colorful makeup, often holding cards and dice.

Lakkos/Lofia is the pit of Death and the decline of Entropy that leads to it. Lakkos is Black, Green, and White, a grim god of endings, certainty, despair, and night. His holy symbol is a wooden or stone grave marker, showing for all to see what finality awaits them. He is depicted rarely, though when he appears, he is as a bleached skeleton in male funereal garb, possibly holding scales or a boatman's oar. Through different eyes, she is Lofia, loathed Green, Blue, Black goddess of ruin, weakness, pestilence, decay, and erosion. Her holy symbol is the ash or gravel from a burnt or crushed grave marker, representing the decline of all things, even the death that awaits death itself. When Lofia is depicted, it is for dark things, such as the signs over a quarantined district as it dies of plague, or on the entrance to a catacomb where horrors writhe beneath. She is a naked corpse, rotted and crippled with just enough remaining definition to reveal femininity.

toapat
2013-12-28, 01:08 AM
Omorfia/Spatho is both Seduction, that which is offered by power, wealth, and lust, and the Conquest required to take it. Omorfia is Blue, Black, and Red. She stands for pleasure, beauty, greed, gluttony, happiness, and ambition. Her holy symbol is an open hand with a gem in it, symbolizing the acquisition of what one wants. Similarly, she is a beautiful young woman whose hands overflow with plenty, and whose eyes shine like stars. His other side is Spatho, a White, Red, and Black master of war, conquest, slavery, pain, and conviction. His holy symbol is a clenched fist drenched in blood, symbolizing the price to be paid, by one's self and one's enemies, to achieve one's ends. He is a young man, of conscription age, with a crimson blade and a tarnished shield.

Grixis is a dead world for a reason, the natures which Blue, Black, and Red share most in common are Destruction and Obsession, not greed, greed is probably the most defining negative attribute of any trinity where Blue is the defining attribute.

Red/White/Black is the color of war, but slavery doesnt actually fall within its domain, as slavery is more along the lines of Esper's WUB color combo when heavily influenced by black.

as far as organizing the gods, i feel having a Shard/Antishard set would be better then Guild+third wheel pairing.

Thus, it would be:
Bant/RWB: Protection/War
Esper/GUR: Science/Inspiration
Grixis/WBG: Entropy/Life and Death (black plays really well with its enemies)
Jund/URW: Primal/Conviction
Naya/BGU: Nature/Progress

D20ragon
2013-12-28, 10:40 AM
Thank you, everyone. This is a great help.

NothingButCake
2013-12-28, 05:43 PM
Grixis is a dead world for a reason, the natures which Blue, Black, and Red share most in common are Destruction and Obsession, not greed, greed is probably the most defining negative attribute of any trinity where Blue is the defining attribute.Why do you think greed defines blue?

I think in general, there are lots of ways to interpret the colors and the color combinations, so it's hard to say definitively xyz has to be like this or that.

toapat
2013-12-28, 07:28 PM
Why do you think greed defines blue?

I think in general, there are lots of ways to interpret the colors and the color combinations, so it's hard to say definitively xyz has to be like this or that.

Greed is the macronature under which the search for knowledge resides. Black may at its worst be the most greedy color but that isnt really a defining trait behind black at all times.

each color at its base is this:
White: Order
Blue: Knowledge
Black: Power
Red: Emotion
Green: Nature.

NothingButCake
2013-12-28, 09:33 PM
I know what the color philosophies are but
Greed is the macronature under which the search for knowledge resides.is a pretty questionable claim.

D20ragon
2013-12-28, 09:36 PM
Ummmm... Not to be demanding or anything, but could we keep a bit more on topic? Please?

toapat
2013-12-28, 09:49 PM
I know what the color philosophies are but is a pretty questionable claim.

the Search and Acquisition of knowledge is, at its most extreme, ruthless and unrelenting in attempting to expand itself.

Ummmm... Not to be demanding or anything, but could we keep a bit more on topic? Please?

technically they are on topic arguments over the very basis of the gods

D20ragon
2013-12-28, 09:54 PM
all right. I concede your point.