PDA

View Full Version : Drawing a whole comic? How?

Dib
2007-01-18, 03:55 PM
I've (repeatedly) made attempts at creating comics in varying styles, but to no success as I get annoyed about how long it takes to draw them all... I know its a long process if you want them to look good... but I'm very bad with patience... any advice on how to overcome this problem? cheers :smallsmile:

Brickwall
2007-01-18, 04:01 PM
Uhh...

I'd offer advice if I didn't have your same problem. I think it's supposed to get easier as you get better, but I don't seem to be getting better anymore. Practice is useless. Don't let your parents convince you otherwise.

MaxAtkins
2007-01-24, 01:01 AM
I have the same problem.

Although I'm still not very good at the whole drawing thing, I find it hard to create several characthers in 1 image.

Could anyone please help or give some advice?

Caillach
2007-01-24, 01:57 AM
Draw big. Like really big. Then take picture/scan and add text on computer. Make the characters simple in style, and give them at least one physical feature that will distinguish them from other characters (like red hair, or glasses etc.) And use a ruler for panels.
Depending on the type of thing you're doing my advice would differ. but those are pretty universal techniques.

I'm no expert but I've sort of been looking into doing some experimenting with a comic book style lately, and I've been wanting to try things out. Thing is I can't seem to write and draw at the same time. So if anybody's looking to hire an artist I could try to draw up a few demo panels, depending on what you're looking for.
Anywho, now that I've exploited this thread for my own agenda I'll be on my way:smallwink:

Sneak
2007-01-24, 02:45 PM
Like Caillach said, come up with a simple style. Make sure it's unique in some way, but easy enough to draw over and over again. Also make sure that you won't get bored with it and that the art fits with the style of the comic.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-25, 12:26 AM
I also recommend simple, unless you only want to update once a week, or less often.

Also, drawing big and then down-sizing with the computer seems a good approach, assuming you have some way of doing it.

Dib
2007-01-25, 02:40 PM
Cheers guys (ive been too out of it recently) ill post when ive got some pages done

Calamity
2007-02-11, 02:28 PM
Well, everybody has thier own style. I used to only be able to draw comics in OotS style, because all my comics WERE hand drawn, OotS style is very easy to hand draw. I then came up with a style (I'm sure someone else has used, but I've not seen it before). You have to experiment a lot. And yes, everytime you draw a new style it will be big. Really, over time the art will get better: look at webcomics like Questionable Content and OotS itself, you will see that later strips have better artwork.

Oh btw, this is an easy style to use (This was my first time drawing a comic on the computer, yet it wasn't too hard to make) WARNING: Big image:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Photouser_/TheFuryoftheWalrus.png

Yes, even an 'artistically-challenged' person like me can create characters that look like humans.... kinda...

Hephaestus
2007-02-13, 08:45 PM
Ok, so back in Jr. High me and some friends came up with a plot for a comic and I had originally wanted to make a sprite comic since my artistic skills are non-existant but even that proved a problem. So I hand drew sprites, yeah that sounds weird but if you curve them so they're not all blocky and 8-bit-ish and make them like tiny (almost chi-bi/super deformed like) drawings, it can work, I did it... for a little while at least...