PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Warlock/SORC/Eldritch Theurge

Kesnit
2013-12-24, 04:47 PM
As was pointed out to me at our last game session, PCs can die rather unexpectedly. (Our Rogue got blown up.) I had a back-up character, but it was a VoP Druid, and the DM has said no VoP. (Plus, Exalted would not fit well in the current party...)

After thinking about it, I've decided to go with a Warlock/SORC/Eldritch Theurge*. My plan is to focus on BFC and debuffing.

Current Build
LE WAR 3/Battle Sorc 4/ET 3

STR 12 INT 16
DEX 18 (22) WIS 10
CON 13 CHA 19 (23)
Those include +1 to DEX and +1 to CHA from level-ups.

FORT +4 REF +9 Will +10
AC 20 HP 58

ITEMS
Cloak of CHA +4
Gloves of DEX +4
Leather Armor +2
Bag of Holding I

FEATS
1) Eschew Materials
1) Fiendish Heritage (Human)
3) Combat Casting
6) Extend Spell (or Fiendish Resistance)
9) Rapid Metamagic

INVOCATIONS
Frightful Blast
Beshadowed Blast
Devil's Sight
Eldritch Chain

SPELLS

Detect Poison
Flare
Ghost Sound
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Unnerving Gaze

Endure Elements
Protection from __
Grease
Obscuring Mist
Summon Monster I
Comprehend Languages
Identify
True Strike
Charm Person
Color Spray
Silent Image
Ray of Enfeeblement
Reduce Person

Acid Arrow
Glitter Dust
Summon Monster II
Web
Hideous Laughter
Touch of Idiocy
Scorching Ray
Invisibility
Minor Image
Blind/Deaf
Knock
Earthen Grasp
Crystaline Memories
Darkbolt
Wither Limb

Dispel Magic
Magic Circle
Sleet Storm
Summon Monster III
Hold Person
Suggestion
Displacement
Major Image
Vampiric Touch
Slow
Bands of Steel
Shadow Binding
Caustic Smoke
Evil Eye

HELP REQUESTED
1) I need something to boost my FORT save. I did a search for help on that, and here's my answer to the answers given in a previous thread.

Cloak of Resistance: I'm already wearing a Cloak
Soulmeld (Pauldrons of Health): At most, I could put 1 essentia in it, since I don't have an Incarum class.
Great Fortitude: Well, that's an option, but it is only +2
Vest of Resistance: I can't find that item.
Paladin (of Tyranny): I'm already losing CL. I don't want to give up more. Also, my DM does use multi-classing penalties.
Magic items that allow CONC instead of Fort 1/day: 1/day isn't going to cut it.
Amulet of Health: I could only afford a +2, which would only raise my save by 1.
Wand of Greater Resistance: This is what I am leaning towards. The spell is on my list. I can't cast it yet, but my UMD is +19.

I know I can take Dark One's Own Luck, but that takes one of my (limited) Invocations. I can also swap the 16 in INT to CON, but as it is, I am really skill point starved. Losing all those points will hurt.

2) What race should I use? I tend to default to Human, but it would be nice if there was a +CHA race that doesn't lose DEX or have an LA.

3) I'd love some feedback on the build I've laid out above. Feats, spell and invocation selection, etc.

* Please do not tell me that Theurges are crappy. I am aware of why. But my group does not optimize at all, so I don't see an issue.

Re'ozul
2013-12-24, 06:23 PM
Devil's sight is generally not worth it.

If you have access to Fiendish Codex II, then a Hellbred (page 77) would be a good race option. If you take the Spirit option you get +2 Cha and at 12HD you get the same effect as devil's sight (and ta level 10 you have 120ft darkvision).

Frightful Blast depends in usefulness on what you face, but should be becoming much less sueful around that level.

Things I'd replace the two with:

Baleful Utterance (If you are still facing mostly enemies without magic weapons that aren't using natural attacks)
See the unseen (though if you go with hellbred, less so)
Dark One's own luck (a +6-7 is nothing to sneeze at)

I generally don't see the point in fiendish heritage and associated feats.
Combat casting as well.

If you are afraid of being in melee, I'd advise to just take eldritch glaive.

Thanatosia
2013-12-24, 09:02 PM
Vest of Resistance: I can't find that item.
You saying your character cannot find the item to buy or you cannot find the sourcebook the item is located in?

If the latter, it's Magic Item Compendium pg 147

If it's the former, Resistance is a basic enchantment that can be slapped on pretty much anywhere without penalty, so just search again for something like that.

Kesnit
2013-12-24, 11:35 PM
You saying your character cannot find the item to buy or you cannot find the sourcebook the item is located in?

If the latter, it's Magic Item Compendium pg 147

I couldn't find what book it is in. Thanks.

Waker
2013-12-25, 01:41 PM
I would advise against using the Battle Sorcerer variant. While you will get better HPs and BAB for those few levels, you'll lose out on valuable spells when you take PrCs without gaining anything at all.
As for races, if you are interested in Incarnum, you could chose the Azurin as a race. That would still give you the bonus feat of a Human, along with Essentia for Pauldrons of Health (or any other soulmeld you grab). Plus you could say you are the embodiment of mortal evil!

Osiris
2013-12-25, 08:14 PM
Sorcerer you say? Want a charisma race you say? You're in luck!

In RotD there's the Spellscale, with +2 cha and some unique abilities for arcane spellcasters. They take a con hit tho.