PDA

View Full Version : Why does the srd...

mooseofshadows
2007-01-18, 03:55 PM
not have any of the rules for the standard dieties? Is that not OGC? I don't have the player's handbook mostly because I just use the SRD. If it does have the rules for them and I just missed them, please tell me. Otherwise, my question is:

What does Kord have for domains?

Woot Spitum
2007-01-18, 03:57 PM
Strength, luck, good, and chaos.

mooseofshadows
2007-01-18, 03:58 PM
thank you.

WampaX
2007-01-18, 03:59 PM
not have any of the rules for the standard dieties? Is that not OGC? I don't have the player's handbook mostly because I just use the SRD. If it does have the rules for them and I just missed them, please tell me. Otherwise, my question is:

What does Kord have for domains?

No, the deities in the PHB are Greyhawk deities and are thus not OGC.

Amiria
2007-01-18, 04:10 PM
Buy the PHB, it is very useful ... also as a paperweight, blotting pad, to smash flies and gnats ... or annoying little siblings ...

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-18, 09:23 PM
I would never use it to smash bugs. Siblings on the other hand...are fair game.

Zherog
2007-01-18, 09:54 PM
As Wampa alluded to, the SRD does not contain any of WotC's intellectual property - deities, mind flayers, beholders, even names like Bigby and Mordenkainen. The reason is really simply. The open gaming license (OGL) allows anybody to use the material in the SRD free of charge, for just about anything they want (there's a few limitations, but not many). If they put Kord in the SRD, I could then publish a book (even fiction) that used his name. As long as I included a copy of the license in the book, WotC would have no legal ramifications - they would, in essence, lose control of their intellectual property.

The SRD doesn't exist to give us a handy-dandy, super cool rules reference on-line. That's just a by-product. The purpose of the SRD is to provide open content for other publishers to use.

paigeoliver
2007-01-18, 11:38 PM
Beholders were in the SRD at one time. I remember downloading the 3.0 SRD a LONG time ago and the beholder stat block was just about the only thing I read in it.

I usually let my clerics just choose their domains, but the deities in my gameworld tend to have belief systems that vary wildly by location, church, and worshiper.

Zherog
2007-01-19, 07:22 PM
they're certainly not in it now. And I can't ever recall seeing them in the SRD (though that doesn't mean they weren't there, of course).