PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Optimizing a Grappler

Thrair
2013-12-24, 05:46 PM
I've heard of the Druid w/ Monk Dip build, and it's definitely a nice option.

What other builds are viable for grappling? Assume 10-11th level for the character, without baseline traits.

Basic idea is I either want something that can grapple the target and beat the tar out of it with Greater Grapple/Vital Strike (as with the druid build), or something tough as hell to kill that picks a target and just latches onto it like a bulldog.

I'm aware grappling's somewhat sub-par, but the group isn't hyper-optimized, just decently optimized. I don't mind being fairly limited in role. Party has plenty of damage dealers and a fair amount of utility.

So, again: For a 10-11th level character, what's the best ways to optimize a grapple build?

Teh_das
2013-12-24, 10:17 PM
My preferred method of building a pathfinder grappler is to go Cavalier 2/ Tetori Monk X. There is an order out of on of the adventure paths called the order of the penitent that lets you make hog tie attempts against a target without penalty and they don't have to be pinned, and can even hold them through a natural twenty escape check if yours is high enough. Also: chain, get a lot of it. It's better than rope for bindings.

There's also two traits that can add to your CMB for grapple. One is serpent's embrace that gives you a plus to grapple, as well as one that gives you a flat +1 CMB I believe is called Bred for War.

Get a set of bracers of armor that have the slick enchantment on them for an extra boost. There's also a pair of gloves that give a flat +2 to a comb checkmof your choice

If you go with some monk levels after all, the snapping turtle feat chain is a pretty good style chain for grappler.

Ravens_cry
2013-12-24, 10:25 PM
Look up Tetori monk in Ultimate Combat. It can grapple the ungrappable at higher levels, being able to suppress freedom of movment for a round by spending a ki point. And hey, you are at the right level to do that. The Jawbreaker feat ( same source) is both flavorful and a good way to say literally 'shut up' to casters. Bonebreaker and Neckbreaker do some pretty nasty ability score damage. Gauntlet of the Skilled Maneuver are a frequently overlooked item that adds another +2 to your combat maneuver checks for a single type of maneuver. They can be found in Ultimate Equipment Of course, improved grapple and Greater grapple are musts. I think, if you can fit it in, Agile Maneuver is a good feat, as DEX is a versatile ability score, more so than strength anyway. You don't want to dump strength in that case, it still adds to your CMD but you can have it be fairly low as well.

Teh_das
2013-12-25, 01:29 AM
I think, if you can fit it in, Agile Maneuver is a good feat, as DEX is a versatile ability score, more so than strength anyway. You don't want to dump strength in that case, it still adds to your CMD but you can have it be fairly low as well.

I don't think it's worth it taking agile maneuvers in a grapple build. Its nice if you have a build you want to fit grappling into, but it takes a feat to make you duck strength and have less to-hit and damage. Strength applies more naturally if you don't already have cause to leave it.

schoklat
2013-12-25, 07:22 AM
1. Have options when grapple doesn't work.
2. Optimise grappling.
3. ????
4. Profit!

JHShadon
2013-12-25, 08:05 AM
If your DM allows Dreamscarred Press stuff you could be a Half-Giant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant) and be treated as a Large creature when it comes to grappling and other stuff.