PDA

View Full Version : Invocations and Auras without dipping

bekeleven
2013-12-24, 06:46 PM
What ways are there to get Invocations (warlock or Dragonfire Adept), and Auras (Dragon Shaman or Marshal) without taking levels in their classes?

I recall a feat to get an aura but I can't find it now. Are there any magical items that grant these?

malonkey1
2013-12-24, 07:44 PM
Well, there is the Draconic Aura feat (http://dndtools.eu/feats/dragon-magic--62/draconic-aura--696/) from Dragon Magic, which grants you a Draconic Aura.

In order to get Invocations, you need to dip. However, once you gain access to them, you can get Invocations from other class lists (officially only from the one other official Invoking class) via the Infernal Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613) feat (near the bottom).

bekeleven
2013-12-24, 07:58 PM
Of course it would be in dragon magic. I only checked complete arcane, complete mage, PHB2 (I confuse Adept and Shaman all the time), RotD, the 'nomicon, and Mini's on the off chance I was thinking of a marshal feat.

Thanks! Draconic auras are depressingly limited with +1, as it turns out.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-24, 08:25 PM
The dragon shaman can trade away one of his draconic auras for a draconic invocation, thanks to an ACF in dragon magic.

You might be able to talk the DM into letting you take the draconic aura feat and get a draconic invocation instead of an aura.

Eldaran
2013-12-24, 09:29 PM
Thanks! Draconic auras are depressingly limited with +1, as it turns out.

If you have the dragonblooded subtype the auras scale like a Marshal's major auras do.

malonkey1
2013-12-24, 09:35 PM
The dragon shaman can trade away one of his draconic auras for a draconic invocation, thanks to an ACF in dragon magic.

You might be able to talk the DM into letting you take the draconic aura feat and get a draconic invocation instead of an aura.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that ACF. Yes, if your DM allows it, do that. And go for a dragonblooded race. Personally, depending on your build, I'd go either some variant of Dragonwrought Kobold, a Dragonborn of Bahamut (of your choice), or maybe a Spellscale. Alternately, you could just go Sorcerer with Draconic Heritage.

EDIT: Or any old class/race combo with Dragontouched. If you must go with a feat-spending route, go Human, Strongheart Halfling, Azurin, basically anything with a bonus feat.