PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Burial Rites?

unseenmage
2013-12-24, 07:14 PM
Is there any precedent for Goblin burial rites in the books somewhere?
I have a Goblin PC with a truckload of corpses and I'm not sure how his culture handles the deceased. It's in Faerun if that helps.

How about other monster rites for the dead?

I'd be amenable to making this thread a compiled list of all the various burial customs for the various monsters if enough info gets gathered here.

HalfQuart
2013-12-24, 09:14 PM
Goblins bury their dead and then create elaborate statue memorials (http://www.goblinscomic.org/01142006/). :-)

unseenmage
2013-12-25, 09:37 PM
Goblins bury their dead and then create elaborate statue memorials (http://www.goblinscomic.org/01142006/). :-)

A satisfactory answer.

Though I was very much hoping there was some fluff for Goblin burial rites in the Forgotten Realms i am definitely using the statues in the next game I DM.

Bullet06320
2013-12-25, 09:55 PM
cannabilism, meat is meat, we eat the dead

not official, but its good fluff, lol

Greenish
2013-12-25, 10:01 PM
"Meat is meat" is a sahuagin motto, isn't it? They consider leaving a corpse to rot to be the worst kind of insult, if not blasphemy.

I confess I also thought of cannibalism, but I'm not sure it fits goblins. Sadly, we never got a "Races of…" book on goblinoids, so what info there is is fairly scattered, and often setting-specific (Eberron goblinoids are quite different from Faerūn goblinoids, for example).

Bullet06320
2013-12-25, 10:11 PM
"Meat is meat" is a sahuagin motto, isn't it? They consider leaving a corpse to rot to be the worst kind of insult, if not blasphemy.

ah yes true, from the Threat form the Seas novel trilogy, I had forgotten about that. which does make the precedence for monsters and canabilism in the forgotten realms at least, lol

ArqArturo
2013-12-25, 10:24 PM
Depends. In Pathfinder, goblins are Pyros, so I'm guessing they might either cremate their dead (the non-evil ones), or roast their dead (the vile-darkness evil ones).

Or just burn the person/people/thing/things that caused the goblin to die.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-25, 11:05 PM
A funeral pyre would be totally awesome.

Draconi Redfir
2013-12-25, 11:13 PM
with a lack of fluff such as this, i think you hve a great oppertunity to make up some of your own. think about how the goblins in your world act, then think how they would do it to best fit their resources. For example, are your goblins settled down in one locaition? perhaps they have graveyard or an underground crypt laberynth. Do they only settle in temporary camps an live a nomadic life? They probably cremate their dead.

or perhaps you could do something completely origional, perhaps they remove the skull of their dead, polish it up, and then attatch it to a net, tent, wall, or backpack that houses the skulls of their dominent/paternal/maternal family line.

Greenish
2013-12-25, 11:22 PM
For example, are your goblins settled down in one locaition? perhaps they have graveyard or an underground crypt laberynth. Do they only settle in temporary camps an live a nomadic life? They probably cremate their dead.I think that'd probably be the opposite, given how common undead are in D&D.

CRtwenty
2013-12-26, 02:58 AM
For some reason I see the Goblins using their dead to feed the various wolves and vermin they frequently use as guards, mounts, and pets. Or burying them in mass graves.

hymer
2013-12-26, 04:26 AM
The goblin burial rite: Loot the body. If you have pets, use as free fodder. If not, and he died inside your cave, deposit in the rubbish tip.

As long as we're stating personal opinions. :smallbiggrin:

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-26, 05:03 AM
Every culture does one of five things with corpses of their people; bury it, burn it, eat it, flush it, or leave it.

Flush and leave have some overlap. Flush means discard in some ritual manner (burial at sea, ritual dumping cliff, etc) or simply unceremoniously discard it and leave means to literally leave it where it lies or discard it if that's inconvenient.

In any case, pick one of the five and fluff however you like.

Jgosse
2013-12-26, 05:48 AM
I think that'd probably be the opposite, given how common undead are in D&D.

very very true

CombatOwl
2013-12-26, 06:40 AM
Is there any precedent for Goblin burial rites in the books somewhere?
I have a Goblin PC with a truckload of corpses and I'm not sure how his culture handles the deceased. It's in Faerun if that helps.

How about other monster rites for the dead?

I'd be amenable to making this thread a compiled list of all the various burial customs for the various monsters if enough info gets gathered here.

I don't know, but it probably involves fireworks and killing a horse.