PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of the epic x10: any reason not to?

qwertyu63
2013-12-24, 07:40 PM
I am thinking of getting rid of the seeming arbitrary x10 multiplier the WotC saw fit to stick on all epic items. Is there any (good) reason for it to even be there? Is there any reason I shouldn't get rid of it? All comments are welcome.

OldTrees1
2013-12-24, 07:51 PM
I am thinking of getting rid of the seeming arbitrary x10 multiplier the WotC saw fit to stick on all epic items. Is there any (good) reason for it to even be there? Is there any reason I shouldn't get rid of it? All comments are welcome.

The x10 multiplier was intended to prevent epic items being owned by non-epic characters. (Lvl 20 character with 760K gp cannot afford the 961K gp of a +31 skill item.)

If a epic item access for pre epic characters is not a concern, then the x10 has no function. Just adjust the epic wealth by level. (It scales more rapidly than normal to meet the x10 multiplier after a few epic levels)

Fax Celestis
2013-12-24, 07:53 PM
It's a safeguard. If your players aren't douches, you're fine.

The worst part is that the x10 safeguard got put in because whoever was writing the ELH apparently didn't know about the "no item more than 1/3 your total wealth" soft rule.

OldTrees1
2013-12-24, 07:56 PM
It's a safeguard. If your players aren't douches, you're fine.

The worst part is that the x10 safeguard got put in because whoever was writing the ELH apparently didn't know about the "no item more than 1/3 your total wealth" soft rule.
Agreed

+11 armor = 121K gp when disregarding the x10 safeguard. Well within the 1/3 of 760K gp 20th level wealth by level.

The Insanity
2013-12-24, 07:58 PM
It's pointless and harmful. Not only do mundanes have to rely on magic items to be effective (and can't even make them), but they're also capped? Stupid and arbitrary.

Xervous
2013-12-24, 08:01 PM
Hello, my effective +50 shuriken would like to have a chat with you, it wants to know where it can pick up a buddy for the same low price of 100k so I can have another epic kukri to dual wield.

The Insanity
2013-12-24, 08:10 PM
Hello, my effective +50 shuriken would like to have a chat with you, it wants to know where it can pick up a buddy for the same low price of 100k so I can have another epic kukri to dual wield.

That's a problem with shurikens.

Brookshw
2013-12-24, 08:26 PM
If you're using epic WBL it helps, otherwise the Xmas tree effect increases ridiculously.

Xervous
2013-12-24, 08:39 PM
That's a problem with shurikens.

Which is partly what I, and others are pointing towards. Its not going to be a problem unless people actively look to abuse it. The only other thing off the top of my head that I can think of is the twin repeating wish staff...