PDA

View Full Version : Fallout RPG

Invader
2013-12-24, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know of a fallout RPG? I know there was one but then it had to be released as Exodus but I'm wondering if that's the best version or if there's something out there that would work better, or if they ever came out with a licensed version?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-24, 10:59 PM
There's a fan version (http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page) of some sort, I don't know the details.

I'd probably try adapting an existing system, though-- keep the fluff, use more fitting mechanics. Savage Worlds seems like the right sort of pulpy action, for example.

Jlerpy
2013-12-26, 05:27 AM
I'd use GURPS myself. Flexible character gen, suitably tactical combat and fairly deadly.

Black Jester
2013-12-26, 11:44 AM
Fun Fact: The original Fallout once was supposed to use GURPS as a basic system but Interplay and Steve Jackson Games had a falling out about the direct implementation and thus the SPECIAL system was used instead.
There is (or at least ) was a tabletop conversion of the SPECIAL system used in Fallout (roughly on the state of Fallout 1+2, and tactics), but that wasn't a very accessable game. In my experience, it was a bit too clunky for the use at the table and combates were slow and tedious.
Nowadays, the two recommendations already made - either Savage Worlds or GURPS - would also the two systems I would consider for a conversion, GURPS for a more gritty, probably too realistic game, and Savage Worlds for a more tactical yet over the top game. SW might actually be a very good match, as long as you can tolerate the somewhat wobbly dice mechanics and the somewhat tedious constant advertising for the system in the rule book. There is even a rather complete conversion for Savage Fallout already done, so it is not only quite possible, but if you are more interesting in getting to play it quick instead of converting the setting yourself, you might find quite enough stuff to start. (http://savagefallout.blogspot.de)

Alejandro
2013-12-27, 03:25 PM
You could probably easily use Star Wars Saga Edition. Just strip out the Force and the Jedi class, and pretty much any Fallout concept can be made out of Soldiers, Scoundrels, Nobles and Scouts. Super mutants and ghouls are races with attribute bonuses and penalties, and so on.

Dust
2013-12-29, 05:30 PM
I used (http://www.mediafire.com/view/atwu43ee68wp5st/Fallout%20Sheet.pdf) Savage Worlds (http://www.mediafire.com/view/orjd8igqkhycxry/Player's%20Guide.pdf).

ngilop
2013-12-29, 06:29 PM
I'll say GURPS because as Black Jester said, the game was meant to run on those rules.

The falling-out between Interplay and Steve Jackson Games happened extremely late in the developmental stage of Fallout, SO they couldn't undo the GURPS rules from the game without beginning from scrath all over again, so they changed a few things up so there was no legal actions taken. hence SPECIAL being the system they created.

Ive never played savage worlds but have not heard anything negative about it.

I would just think the game that was orignally intended for Fallout would be better. As for Savage world being over the top and GURPS being gritty.. ive alwasy felt that the Fallout games were gritty, and for me that was part of the appeal to me.

Rhynn
2013-12-29, 06:40 PM
The falling-out between Interplay and Steve Jackson Games happened extremely late in the developmental stage of Fallout, SO they couldn't undo the GURPS rules from the game without beginning from scrath all over again, so they changed a few things up so there was no legal actions taken. hence SPECIAL being the system they created.

I would love for someone to explain where the GURPS is in SPECIAL, because I can't see it. AC and Damage Resistance has a very slight resemblance to PD and DR in GURPS, but they work quite differently. And I guess the existence of hit locations, if you want to really stretch it? (But even then, GURPS has armor by hit location, Fallout doesn't.) The attributes, the derived attributes, skills, the relationship between attributes and skills, the way skills work, how your character advances, how combat works, etc., is all different.

As far as I can tell, as an avid Fallout fan and as a roleplayer with plenty of GURPS (3E) experience, they did in fact start over and remake the mechanics.

Jlerpy
2013-12-29, 07:17 PM
It is quite thoroughly different, yes. I'd say the strongest similarities relate to there being central attributes and skills that are based on those attributes, but that's still fairly general. I think they must have worked fairly hard to alter things so they could honestly say they hadn't just rebadged GURPS.
That said, I do think Fallout's a gritty setting with some gonzo, rather than the other way around.

Chugosh
2013-12-31, 10:36 AM
The beautiful truth is that you could do something very like Fallout in feel with any of a number of systems, and the game would be great anyway. Fallout works because of the amazingly detailed setting and the feel of the game. The scarcity of bullets, food, and even water. The constant danger of radiation. And the ever present chance for conflict. The advantage of doing an rpg with real people instead of the computer is all the further detail that you could add. Your tribal might use a bow and much easier to replace or reuse arrows, for instance. Any location could have limitless side quests, depending on your creativity. NPCs can really come alive rather than having a very limited script of responses.

My personal favorite systems for the setting would be Barbarians of the Aftermath, Savage Worlds or GURPS, with BRP or even D20 also useful.

Krug
2013-12-31, 06:40 PM
My buddies and I used the D100 system in the Fallout Pen and Paper guide. It flows a lot more smoothly and is pretty easy to understand the basics. I admit it falls apart in the damage part of combat and maintaining equipment, but overall the system functions great if any body is interested I can post a link to the guide and other stuff.

hiryuu
2014-01-01, 01:08 AM
I used Deadlands Classic. It worked out really well for us. I should post the campaign journal sometime.