PDA

View Full Version : Nightsticks vs. Reliquary Holy Symbol for DMM Cleric?

IxenArcanissar
2013-12-24, 11:53 PM
Hey guys,

So I'm building a DMM Cloistered Cleric 1/Archivist 4/(PrC that continues Divine Progression X). Currently at level 6, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something about the Nightstick (Libris Mortis pg. 78 - gives 4 more TU attempts per day) and the Reliquary Holy Symbol (MiC pg. 120 - gives 1, 2, or 3 more TU attempts per day depending on if certain prereqs are met).

The Nightstick costs 7.5 K gold. The ReliqHoly Symbol costs 1K gold. By item enhancing rules, found in the DMG, you can add one item to another for 1.5 times the cost of the to-be-added item. Thus, I could add a ReliqHoly Symbol to a DIFFERENT ReliqHoly Symbol and have it be a single item that is now granting me either 2, 4, or 6 more TU attempts per day (again, depending on the prereqs that I've met)... and that will only cost me 2.5K. 1K + (1K*1.5 = 1.5K) = 2.5K for perhaps a BETTER version of a nightstick. And I don't have to stop there. I can add SIX more ReliqHoly Symbols to the original (giving me, say, 14 total MORE TU attempts) and that would only cost me a grand total of 10K.

Am I missing something? Cause, if not... forget nightsticks.

Ixen

Nirhael
2013-12-24, 11:56 PM
Primary issue would be whether your DM allows it, because custom item creation has a ton of exploitable factors.

IxenArcanissar
2013-12-25, 12:01 AM
Primary issue would be whether your DM allows it, because custom item creation has a ton of exploitable factors.

Yeah. I guess that's what all things come down to, isn't it? :smalltongue: Thanks Nirhael!

Xervous
2013-12-25, 12:03 AM
Also, you have to consider the issue that some DMs will rule that generally things don't stack unless they are explicitly said to in the rules, so a 2 in 1 reliquary holy symbol would still only give the benefits of one since they are the same effect.

Coidzor
2013-12-25, 12:18 AM
You'd be on more solid footing with getting it put on multiple different items than on putting it all on the same item, I believe.

IxenArcanissar
2013-12-25, 12:21 AM
Also, you have to consider the issue that some DMs will rule that generally things don't stack unless they are explicitly said to in the rules, so a 2 in 1 reliquary holy symbol would still only give the benefits of one since they are the same effect.

Hm... That makes sense. I guess the "more TU attempts" is technically not a bonus - if it was, seeing as it is an untyped bonus it would stack. Again, it's up to DM and not me. Thanks.

IxenArcanissar
2013-12-25, 12:24 AM
You'd be on more solid footing with getting it put on multiple different items than on putting it all on the same item, I believe.

This also makes sense. The original idea was to save as much money as possible while also getting as many TU attempts as possible - I guess I will be investing in a Healing Belt after all, and it can hold a ReliqHolySymbol. Cool beans, thanks.