PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting CR For a Small Party?

F.H. Zebedee
2013-12-25, 02:27 AM
Two friends want me to run a quick D&D session for them. They've got two level 4 Characters from prior campaigns, a Spiker Barbarian and a Human Cleric 3/Rogue 1 going into Divine Trickster at level 7.

I'd been trying to eyeball a good module to put them through to get us started. One that caught my eye is The Quick and the Dead, found here. (http://www.farlandworld.com/files/the_quick_and_the_dead.zip)

It's a pretty decent little adventure, but it feels a little off. The final boss is especially underwhelming. I've been considering subbing him out for a Barghest (CR 4), which is 1 CR higher, but gives a much more memorable encounter than a slightly bigger ghoul. (I'm figuring I'd flavor it as a pack-leader sort of figure; it protects and guides the ghouls, in exchange for them giving it first dibs on corpses.)(Not to mention that the Rogue player gets to Sneak Attack against it, which'll make him happy.)

I'm just worried that the entire dungeon might be a bit be too easy for the two (decently optimized) Level 4s, whereas the boss might be a bit too much for them. So I'm trying to strike a solid balance between the two. Do you think it'll work out okay, or should I do some buffing/debuffing to make it click?
(I'm also trying to come up with some ideas for some cool treasures for the players; a sack of gold coins is sooo boring when compared to other possibilities!)