PDA

View Full Version : Bravely Default

GloatingSwine
2013-12-25, 02:57 PM
So the story goes, someone at Square Enix was reading the internet one day and said to his colleagues:

"Apparently, the internet thinks all our modern games are a bit poo and they like all our old ones, maybe we could make a game like our old games, how hard can it be?"

The rest of the office, thunderstruck by this wonderful idea soon turned their industry to the task and a game was released on the 3DS called Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, A classic JRPG in the vein of Final Fantasy around the era of Final Fantasy 5.

And really, it's got all the things you'd hope for from classic JRPGs, a world map to wander around on, dungeons to spelunk that aren't just a corridor, monsters to randomly encounter and have turn based fisticuffs with for XP, the classic Job system for customising the party, special moves to learn, crystals to save, a town to build up as you play.

Of course, since this is all so classic it has had to be hailed on the box as a "new paradigm" in RPGs (because no-one remembers the 1990s).

The only thing it doesn't have is a soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu, but it's by Linked Horizon instead, the people who provided the music for Attack on Titan, so it has a distinctive and energetic sound for fighting and world mapping and such.

If you're in Europe you can get it now, and you should. If you're in the US you'll have to wait until February.

Drascin
2013-12-25, 03:15 PM
You really make it a disservice saying it's just straight out of the 90s, and I don't even particularly LIKE this game. It has a whole host of handy little design details that mark it as a modern and well-designed title title, and much better game, and a lot of little conveniences that you would never find in a 90s title.

I mean, just the idea of being able to turn off the random encounters at will would probably make your average RPG developer go "but that's WRONG! :smalleek:" :smalltongue:.

erikun
2013-12-26, 08:21 PM
What's different about it compared to the recent Final Fantasy 3 and/or 4 Heroes of Light for the DS?

I mean, I know it makes use of street passes for characters - if I understand it correctly, you can "upload" friends' characters and use them in a party. That's certainly a neat idea, as we've been wanting to play RPGs with friends in that method since the Game Boy.

But I'm not sure if there's much beyond that which is really different from the standard old design for RPGs. What else?

Mewtarthio
2013-12-26, 10:50 PM
You're missing the most important question of all:

How, exactly, does one default in a brave manner?

Cespenar
2013-12-27, 01:43 AM
You're missing the most important question of all:

How, exactly, does one default in a brave manner?

I think it's the usual Japanese naming tradition of taking two random English words and putting one after another.

kidnicky
2014-01-09, 12:26 AM
When in battle, you can either "attack","run","use item".....yadda yadda, or you can "default" which means you take no action against the enemy, but can dodge a little better. Then, on that character's next turn, you can "brave", which will allow you to take two actions (except default) or one action twice. You can brave without first defaulting, but your attacks won't have as much power as if you defaulted first.

Just download the demo. It's free, fun, and your items will carry over to the full game if you buy it.

Dihan
2014-01-09, 05:53 AM
As a disclaimer: The demo is nothing like the full game. In the demo you're dropped in the middle of the second country at level 1 with no equipment or magic, barely any money and a handful of jobs that have had their level-up paths changed specifically for the demo. The "story" in the demo consists of fetch-quests while the story in the proper game is the usual "save the crystals, save the world" plot of early Final Fantasy games.

To me the most interesting thing is that all the major villains in each country hold items called "Asterisks" that are basically the job crystals. Each one embodies that role so in the first country you have a sadistic White Mage called Holly Whyte, a pyromaniac Black Mage called Ominas Crow, a dishonourable Knight called Argent Heinkel and a savage Monk called Barras Lehr. Kill them (yes, actually kill them) and you take their Asterisks. The story itself has some relatively dark elements and themes in contrast to the chibi appearance of the game.

The rather odd name "Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies" refers to plot spoilers and the battle mechanics Brave and Default. These add a more tactical element to battles. Most of the time you begin a battle with 0 BP (brave points). If you Default, you go into a defensive stance for that turn and you gain +1 BP (up to a maximum of 4 BP). If you Brave then you can attack additional times per turn (up to four times) by expending BP. From 0 BP you can Brave down to -3 BP but this means you have to wait three turns before that character can act again, whereas if you Brave from 4 BP down to 0 then you can act on the turn afterwards. In random battles you may be able to get away with all you characters using Brave four times, but in boss fights you can be easily punished if you do this - the same for Defaulting. Some bosses may do more damage to you for each BP you have, or they may Brave/Default themselves.

In addition to this, you can change difficulty, encounter rates (from no encounters up to double encounters), switch off experience gain, job experience gain and money gain, customise Super attacks (adding element, status effect, weaknesses, etc) and Summon friends (you can only summon each friend once, though). There's also a completely optional mechanic called Bravely Second where you can take a turn whenever you want - is your party in trouble? Bravely Second (also the name of the sequel) will allow your White Mage to heal right there and then. You gain this by having the game in sleep mode for 8 hours per Second point (up to 3 and down to -3) or by spending real money... Which you don't need to do because of the previous mechanic.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-09, 03:38 PM
In addition to this, you can change difficulty, encounter rates (from no encounters up to double encounters), switch off experience gain, job experience gain and money gain

I can understand changing the difficulty and manipulating the encounter rate, but who in their right might would ever TURN OFF experience and money?? :smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused:

Mewtarthio
2014-01-09, 03:46 PM
I can understand changing the difficulty and manipulating the encounter rate, but who in their right might would ever TURN OFF experience and money?? :smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused:

Sounds handy for low-level runs.

tyckspoon
2014-01-09, 03:50 PM

Lets you do a low-level/low-power challenge run of the game without having to torture the mechanics (run from everything! Find a way of killing enemies that doesn't count as 'killing' so they don't give xp!) into letting you do it. There may also be achievements or other special unlocks for doing tasks with a particularly low level that would be difficult to achieve without deliberately turning off XP. The World Ends With You used some similar mechanics where you could cap your own level for better/more frequent enemy drops.

Dihan
2014-01-09, 04:45 PM

I've turned experience off a few times to stop myself from overlevelling too much while grinding or to allow for a character to catch up if they've fallen behind a bit.

Seerow
2014-01-09, 05:02 PM
I've turned experience off a few times to stop myself from overlevelling too much while grinding or to allow for a character to catch up if they've fallen behind a bit.

So turning exp on/off is toggleable per character? That's interesting.

Also sounds like a great addition for challenge runs.

I was considering the demo, but after it was mentioned here the demo is nothing like the real game, I lost interest in that. I'll wait for the real game.

Dihan
2014-01-09, 05:30 PM
I wish you could turn it off per character. I kill off the characters that are too far ahead. There's an area that has poisonous swamps - walk in and you're poisoned. Simply cure the one(s) you want to survive, walk around with encounters off until the rest are near death, get into an encounter, let the others die and then do your grinding. It's difficult depending on what job you have for each character.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-09, 06:12 PM
Ah, I see. I'm not really into placing artificial constraints on myself like that. I just play RPGs to experience the story/characters/etc.

huttj509
2014-01-09, 06:23 PM
What's different about it compared to the recent Final Fantasy 3 and/or 4 Heroes of Light for the DS?

I mean, I know it makes use of street passes for characters - if I understand it correctly, you can "upload" friends' characters and use them in a party. That's certainly a neat idea, as we've been wanting to play RPGs with friends in that method since the Game Boy.

But I'm not sure if there's much beyond that which is really different from the standard old design for RPGs. What else?

It's similar to 4HoL's AP style, but more fluid.

4HoL had each turn you got an AP, and basic abilities would use an AP, but you could stock them up to do bigger moves.

Bravely Default lets you gain an additional BP (like the AP from 4HoL) when you defend (Default), and not only do some abilities cost BP, but you can go up to 4 times at once by spending BP, even going negative (down to -4 or -5, I think).

Sure, you can "nova" at the start of the fight, but then you don't get to do anything until your BP reach 0. So better be sure you'll kill the foe, or you'll just sit there for about 4 turns while it responds. And enemies can store/use brave points as well. So you can nova and wait, default to build bp and then nova, find abilities that give you BP when you get hit, or dodge, or such, or any combination in between (maybe 1 or 2 nova at the start while the others wait to heal/defend them).

It also lets your healer raise AND cure someone on the same turn without an enemy getting to go in between, which is always nice.

From playing around in the demo, I found it a fluid and fun system, giving me the feel of turn-based combat, but with much more fluid strategy.

The jobs available were obviously tuned differently for the demo. I liked this, because it gave me a chance to play around combining some abilities, finding at least one game-breaker combo, and giving a taste of how things would work at higher levels in the normal game. Having those combos available at those low levels in the normal game would be silly broken.

That's really what the demo is. A demonstration of the system. It's not a slice of the first world of the actual game or anything, it's a trimmed version for the purpose of showing off the combat/job system.

Rising Phoenix
2014-01-10, 03:35 AM
So I started playing this today.

Characters

As it seems to be the norm now in FF games I began of hating the two main protagonists.
However, I like the other two immensely and now the main male character is amicable as well. The main female character needs to drop the self sacrifice charade

Presentation

The art and music are delightful overall, the characters could use bolder expressions though

Combat

It certainly interesting, though I am not sure how challenging the game will be. I admit that I was wiping to mobs early on, but now that I've figured out how to nova with monk and black mage it is much less challenging.

We will see I guess

Story

Still early days, but it seems to be following the standard fantasy story basis. We will see how it progresses

Sylthia
2014-01-11, 09:45 PM
I got the demo, but why are we limited in the number of times we can access it. You'd figure if someone played 30 times, they're probably going to buy the game, but now I have to be careful and not play, in case I'm not able to for a long period. That's always annoyed me.

huttj509
2014-01-12, 12:08 AM
I got the demo, but why are we limited in the number of times we can access it. You'd figure if someone played 30 times, they're probably going to buy the game, but now I have to be careful and not play, in case I'm not able to for a long period. That's always annoyed me.

I ran out of stuff to do in the demo after ~ 7 hours. I just used sleep mode. Didn't have other stuff leaping out at me to do with my 3ds.

Sylthia
2014-01-12, 10:43 AM
I ran out of stuff to do in the demo after ~ 7 hours. I just used sleep mode. Didn't have other stuff leaping out at me to do with my 3ds.

I'm still playing Zelda and Pokemon as well.

Infernally Clay
2014-01-12, 11:09 AM
I'm at chapter five myself, nearly 60 hours in. Edea is my favourite character by far and I'm missing only one job. I dunno how much longer the game will be but it feels like the story is opening up more than it's winding down...

My specific progress is that I completed the Vampire Castle side quest and met Yulyana in the cave so he could fix Agnès' vestal garb. My mind is totally blown. I thought the game was simply "awaken the Crystals, save the world", but it has become so much more. Airy is heavily implied to be manipulating Agnès into awakening the Crystals, an angel that looks like Agnès appeared 1'800 years ago and foretold of most of the events in the game and the main antagonist is shown to be the good guy while the very religion everyone followed was filled with manipulative jerks that almost destroyed the world time after time for the centuries it was in power.

This game is just amazing. D:

Sylthia
2014-01-13, 06:25 PM
I'm hesitant to play more this week, because I'm on call and could get interrupted at a moment's notice. I don't want to waste my plays.

tonberrian
2014-01-14, 09:46 PM
Bluh I hear it's censored for the Western release. I don't mind changing the ages of characters, but I'd like to see the original costumes.

Rising Phoenix
2014-01-15, 03:56 AM
Bluh I hear it's censored for the Western release. I don't mind changing the ages of characters, but I'd like to see the original costumes.

Well they are less dominatrixy... in the European release...

Dihan
2014-01-15, 08:19 AM

Apart from the ages (from 13 or so to late teens, early 20s because nobody wants to see a 40 year old gigolo kidnapping and locking up a 13 year old girl in his implied sex dungeon), this is all that was changed:

http://images.vg247.com/current//2014/01/Bravely_default_costume.jpg

Sylthia
2014-01-15, 03:09 PM
Apart from the ages (from 13 or so to late teens, early 20s because nobody wants to see a 40 year old gigolo kidnapping and locking up a 13 year old girl in his implied sex dungeon), this is all that was changed:

http://images.vg247.com/current//2014/01/Bravely_default_costume.jpg

I think I actually prefer the look of the censored costumes.

Knaight
2014-01-15, 05:43 PM
I think I actually prefer the look of the censored costumes.

Even the "censored" costumes are tacky and ridiculous.

Sylthia
2014-01-18, 06:28 PM
So you get to carry over the side-quest bonuses and 20 villagers from the demo to the full game. Anything else?

Gnarnia
2014-01-20, 04:52 PM
I'll be playing this when it's released in the US.

Square needs to make more games like this (especially if they can pull in some of the deeper storylines they had in games like Xenogears).

I don't need fancy graphics, but I really enjoy some solid gameplay and a good RPG story.

Sylthia
2014-01-20, 06:44 PM
I'll be playing this when it's released in the US.

Square needs to make more games like this (especially if they can pull in some of the deeper storylines they had in games like Xenogears).

I don't need fancy graphics, but I really enjoy some solid gameplay and a good RPG story.

I was getting 90s flashbacks playing the Demo. It was a good thing.

Winterfate
2014-02-07, 10:12 PM
*calls the thread back from the abyss*

So, Bravely Default came out today in North America. My 3DS Friend Code is in my sig. Feel free to add me (and let me know so I can add you back ASAP). :smallsmile:

Game feels and plays like classic Final Fantasy aka. I love it! :smallbiggrin:

Sylthia
2014-02-07, 11:22 PM
Is there a way to copy the save files on the menu? If there is, I must have missed it.

ryuplaneswalker
2014-02-07, 11:29 PM
I bought this at midnight last night, then went to download it...25K blocks..dear lord.

Gonna have to buy me a bigger SD card.

Winterfate
2014-02-08, 01:24 AM
Is there a way to copy the save files on the menu? If there is, I must have missed it.

It's pretty easy to miss. Case in point, I had to look it up to answer your question. :smallwink:

According to someone on GameFAQs, and I paraphrase: There should be an arrow like icon on the bottom right part of the screen in the initial menu. Touch it and copy and delete will pop out.

Sylthia
2014-02-08, 07:08 AM
It's pretty easy to miss. Case in point, I had to look it up to answer your question. :smallwink:

According to someone on GameFAQs, and I paraphrase: There should be an arrow like icon on the bottom right part of the screen in the initial menu. Touch it and copy and delete will pop out.

Thanks. I knew there had to be a way.

Tome
2014-02-08, 08:18 PM
I too have been playing this extensively.

There are rather a lot of hideously broken combos in the end game, I've noticed. 4xHigh Jump+Hasten World, 4xDark Nebula+Absorption, Stillness+paying attention to Speed stats, etc.

I think I'll just stick to spamming Ninja Vampires. :smalltongue:

Sylthia
2014-02-08, 08:51 PM
I keep wanting to pronounce Agnés as Ag-nes, rather than An-yas.

huttj509
2014-02-09, 06:44 AM
I keep wanting to pronounce Agnés as Ag-nes, rather than An-yas.

Only thing that bugs me about her name is it's like the French "Agnès," but the accent's the wrong way. (Edit: NM, just was in game and saw the accent is a downward sloping line, not an upwartd sloping one) Her last name's a conjugation of the French verb "obliger," meaning, well, "to oblige," as in "obligation." Subtle.

So we have a character, the only one who can save the world, whose name basically means "has something she needs to do," we have an amnesiac...does his name ringabel?

Any pun/references in Tiz Arrior or Edea Lee?

Loving the game. Only thing is that on the world map/in town, the graphics seem just blurry enough to make me go crosseyed. It's like, if the resolution were a little better, I could focus, and if it were a little worse, my eyes wouldn't be TRYING to focus.

t209
2014-02-09, 11:20 AM
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/01/22
So why can't they just use Phoenix Down on dead characters? I mean we could see Aerith again :smallfrown:.

Tome
2014-02-09, 11:25 AM
I cannot describe how happy I am that Edea's costume from Norende isn't yet another stipperific getup. It's actual armour, cool-looking armour even.

Well there is Edea's dad, Braev Lee (Brave-ly).

Edea herself would have her own pun, idealy. Let's not forget about the motherly Mahzer Lee either.

I'm sure Tiz's name is also some form of pun as well. This is a game that just loves it's wordplay.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/01/22
So why can't they just use Phoenix Down on dead characters? I mean we could see Aerith again :smallfrown:.

Because Phoenix Downs are pretty explicit that they cure KO, not death.

Also, that comic is the wrong way around. :smalltongue:

Kariccia
2014-02-09, 12:01 PM
So we have a character, the only one who can save the world, whose name basically means "has something she needs to do,"

I had to look up Agnès after reading this. It seems it means "chaste." Given how the Vestals seem to work, that fits rather well.

"Arrior" is one letter off from "warrior." They did something similar with Airy the Fairy. I put "Tiz" in google and it gave me the definition of tizzy which I'm not sure if that really fits or not.

Edit: Just got a lv70 nemesis from online. I'm level 20. :smalleek:

Tome
2014-02-09, 03:07 PM
I had to look up Agnès after reading this. It seems it means "chaste." Given how the Vestals seem to work, that fits rather well.

Considering that the whole Vestal thing has some similarities to the roman vestal virgins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestal_virgin) and all...

Edit: Just got a lv70 nemesis from online. I'm level 20. :smalleek:

You think that's nasty? There are literally no level restrictions on Nemesis, you can get a level 99 nemesis as soon as you unlock the feature. Incidentally, about half of the nemesis' are level 99.

Barring the odd low level one, they're pretty firmly endgame content.

Also, whoo! Finally beat the boss rush (without abusing Stillness even). I swear, that was harder than the bonus boss.

Sylthia
2014-02-09, 08:27 PM
In case anyone missed it, and I'm not sure if they ever say in-game, but updating your data or whatever it's called, can cause villagers to come to your town.

Tome
2014-02-10, 03:47 AM
It also gives you a few random friend summons.

Some of which are absurdly powerful.

Sylthia
2014-02-11, 11:14 AM
It also gives you a few random friend summons.

Some of which are absurdly powerful.

They do make the boss fights pretty laughable, but you can't always count on having them available.

Weimann
2014-02-15, 05:57 PM
So I just got Bravely Default and I must say, as someone who thinks turn-based combat is dull as all hell, I can kind of see the appeal. I'll be playing it a little bit more, at least.

Question: should I buy weapons and armour in the shop (I have gotten my first party member and we're off to some lake) or will items drop for me anyway?

Sylthia
2014-02-15, 06:48 PM
So I just got Bravely Default and I must say, as someone who thinks turn-based combat is dull as all hell, I can kind of see the appeal. I'll be playing it a little but more, at least.

Question: should I buy weapons and armour in the shop (I have gotten my first party member and we're off to some lake) or will items drop for me anyway?

You'll get the occasional drop from on enemy or chest, but it won't be enough to keep you fully equipped. Don't be afraid to spend your money of gear. If anything, I never really bought healing items.

Also, I think the magic shop is the only way to buy new spells.

Weimann
2014-02-16, 07:42 AM
Ah, great. That's what I've been doing. :smallsmile:

I'm still trying to get my head around the systems in this game. The idea that you can switch classes at any time messes with something fundamental in my idea about RPGs. :smalltongue:

But yeah, I like it so far! It might be the first game to make me actually care about the StreetPass gimmick, too.

Rodin
2014-02-16, 07:55 AM
Is it just me, or are Rangers insanely broken in the mid-game? Mine are currently managing to use their basic attack to out-damage characters that are using abilities (and ones which cost MP at that). When you add in Targeting or actually attacking a creature type's weakness, the damage goes to ridiculous levels. I actually one-rounded a boss, which is something I'm just not accustomed to in a JRPG.

Sylthia
2014-02-16, 09:08 AM
Ah, great. That's what I've been doing. :smallsmile:

I'm still trying to get my head around the systems in this game. The idea that you can switch classes at any time messes with something fundamental in my idea about RPGs. :smalltongue:

But yeah, I like it so far! It might be the first game to make me actually care about the StreetPass gimmick, too.

I'm not sure about you, but where I live, I never get any Street Passes. I really hate games that use it for something important.

Tome
2014-02-16, 09:11 AM
Is it just me, or are Rangers insanely broken in the mid-game? Mine are currently managing to use their basic attack to out-damage characters that are using abilities (and ones which cost MP at that). When you add in Targeting or actually attacking a creature type's weakness, the damage goes to ridiculous levels. I actually one-rounded a boss, which is something I'm just not accustomed to in a JRPG.

Bows are a pretty strong weapon and their built in accuracy helps to up their damage. That said, their abilities aren't all that great due to lacking a skill to target humans, which is what the majority of the bosses you'll fight are. You should see their damage drop off shortly due to the cap on hits per attack.

They aren't what one would describe as broken though. Not even close.

Which boss did you one-round, out of curiosity? And how?

I'm not sure about you, but where I live, I never get any Street Passes. I really hate games that use it for something important.

I live on a farm in the middle of the British countryside. Street pass is never going to be relevant.

Rodin
2014-02-16, 10:37 AM
Bows are a pretty strong weapon and their built in accuracy helps to up their damage. That said, their abilities aren't all that great due to lacking a skill to target humans, which is what the majority of the bosses you'll fight are. You should see their damage drop off shortly due to the cap on hits per attack.

They aren't what one would describe as broken though. Not even close.

Which boss did you one-round, out of curiosity? And how?

I kinda figured that in late-game (there are a ton of classes I have yet to discover/unlock) their utility will go down, it's just right now that they are doing so obscenely much. What's the cap for hits?

I also did kinda figure that late-game there will be much more broken stuff to enjoy. :smallbiggrin:

The boss I one-rounded was the Valkyrie chick. I had been cruising so I decided "what the hell, I'll go for it" and went all-in on my opening attack. Both my Rangers opened with Maximum Draw, with Agnes adding in a Sword Magic at the beginning, then using Targeting for every shot. Ringabel added a Moonbeam plus a full set of Monk basic attacks (his primary class was White Mage, I just went Monk at the boss for the damage), with Edea finishing with Sword Magic + Hack & Slash + Stomp while two-handing her weapon.

After the first Maximum Draw, my Crit rate was at (I think) 400%. After the second, it was up to 700%. Every shot after the first critted. She never stood a chance.

huttj509
2014-02-16, 01:39 PM
Rangers have a few strong things going for them mid game:

Good weapon selection. Bows have a good consistent buildup, while some weapons (notably fists), have a significant gap in item quality, right around the range where you are. If you look at http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Bravely_Default_Weapons you'll see a 12 patk gap between spiked knuckles and hammer knuckles, which also comes with a significant amount of gameplay between when they can be obtained.

Also, Agility is king. More hits = more damage, and going earlier.

Thirdly, the accuracy boost really is nice. Axe has stronger hits, but fewer of them hit generally (and normally on a class with worse Agi).

Now, once you get abilities, and can, for example, put the ranger acc boost on a beefy fighter, with gear to boost agi? Many more sheer damage options open up, but until then Ranger really does have everything going for it for a while.

Personally, I like a combination of strong weapons, accuracy, and thief ability to gain 25% P.Atk when he successfully steals, leading to an easy 150% p.atk. modifier, using ranger skills to target dragon weaknesses (where I'm fighting a bunch of them at present). 99999 hp goes down pretty dang quick.

Tome
2014-02-16, 02:37 PM
Yeah, if you have good damage you can pretty easily burst down every boss in the game. Particularly if you're using special attacks.

Even in the endgame most bosses have less than 160,000 hp. The only things you can't easily burst down in one round once your party can reliably do 9999 per attack are the bonus boss and some stages of the final boss.

Of course, things are a lot more fun if you don't just Adaptation+4xDark Nebula everything.

JustPlayItLoud
2014-02-16, 02:53 PM
Just fired up the demo for this game a couple hours ago. Despite the terrible name the game is a lot of fun so far. Plays very much like FFIII and V. The music is pretty good, the graphics are nice, and the Brave system makes is easy to overpower enemies once they're weak enough that you don't care about them but strong enough that you can't just steamroll by spamming normal attacks.

I'll probably finish the demo to unlock all the bonuses and if I'm still happy with it, I'll probably buy it.

Sylthia
2014-02-16, 06:52 PM
Just fired up the demo for this game a couple hours ago. Despite the terrible name the game is a lot of fun so far. Plays very much like FFIII and V. The music is pretty good, the graphics are nice, and the Brave system makes is easy to overpower enemies once they're weak enough that you don't care about them but strong enough that you can't just steamroll by spamming normal attacks.

I'll probably finish the demo to unlock all the bonuses and if I'm still happy with it, I'll probably buy it.

I'd recommend it. Also, the demo is mostly fetch quests and typical MMO-esque stuff, but the actual game is more along the lines of typical JRPG plot. The battle system is the main draw in my opinion, though.

tonberrian
2014-02-16, 10:01 PM
I've been using Ranger/Thief for Tiz ever since I unlocked them. Bows are nice to use, and the crit rate boost from the first bow special puts katana users are 100% crits. With Precision there's no real reason to use Ranger skills other than for the special since both Precision and hitting a weak point offer a 50% damage boost. Still, Tiz does enough damage to be relevant, even compared to Ninja/Spell Fencer Edea. Not as much when she's properly boosted, but not inconsiderable.

On an unrelated note, currently stonewalled in chapter 8 against a group of bosses. Need to rethink strategy.

MeatShield#236
2014-02-16, 11:39 PM
Is there any way to open up those locked chests I see in every dungeon? The loot hoarder in me is raging because I can't find a way to open them.

huttj509
2014-02-16, 11:58 PM
Is there any way to open up those locked chests I see in every dungeon? The loot hoarder in me is raging because I can't find a way to open them.

endgame. Like, chapter 7 or something. I'm not there yet meself (I'm up to the earth crystal).

tonberrian
2014-02-17, 12:37 AM
Immediately after starting chapter 6 you can find a key. There's even a quest for it, and it is right there on the first screen after you get control.

Seerow
2014-02-17, 12:59 PM
So I'm not sure if I'm just really bad at this, have an awful party setup, or hardmode is really a much bigger step up than I expected.

I'm in the middle of Chapter 2, and right after finding the Water Vestal. Right now I have two subquests I can go do (Red Mage Asterisk, Valkerie Asterisk) and the main story going back to the Water Temple. I wanted to avoid going back to the Water Temple before finishing the subquests, but right now I'm having a hell of a time.

I've seen people say they were beating the Red Mage/Valkerie in their mid 20s. I've currently got a party of level 33, and it seems like I'm just getting blown up by both of these bosses. Like seriously getting outright one-shotted or taking more damage than my casters can keep up with healing.

The Red Mage I think I can probably take after trying a couple times and getting a feel for that Anticipation ability (bonus brave when he gets attacked), but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do about a Valkerie who just instagibs a character whenever she takes a turn, or just smacks the whole party for 800 damage.

Am I supposed to have my town leveled up more for better gear by this point? Should I be grinding up more? Am I just using bad strategies?

tonberrian
2014-02-17, 01:08 PM
So I'm not sure if I'm just really bad at this, have an awful party setup, or hardmode is really a much bigger step up than I expected.

I'm in the middle of Chapter 2, and right after finding the Water Vestal. Right now I have two subquests I can go do (Red Mage Asterisk, Valkerie Asterisk) and the main story going back to the Water Temple. I wanted to avoid going back to the Water Temple before finishing the subquests, but right now I'm having a hell of a time.

I've seen people say they were beating the Red Mage/Valkerie in their mid 20s. I've currently got a party of level 33, and it seems like I'm just getting blown up by both of these bosses. Like seriously getting outright one-shotted or taking more damage than my casters can keep up with healing.

The Red Mage I think I can probably take after trying a couple times and getting a feel for that Anticipation ability (bonus brave when he gets attacked), but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do about a Valkerie who just instagibs a character whenever she takes a turn, or just smacks the whole party for 800 damage.

Am I supposed to have my town leveled up more for better gear by this point? Should I be grinding up more? Am I just using bad strategies?

What's your setup?

Seerow
2014-02-17, 01:44 PM
What's your setup?

First time I tried it, my setup was:

Tiz: Spellfencer/Chivalry w/Two-Hands
Edea: Summoner/White Magic
Anges: Time Mage/White Magic
Ringabel: Hunter/Thievery

After that failed, I tried swapping to a more defensive setup, putting Tiz back as a Knight with Sword and Board and HP+10%, Edea into Knight (for the extra defense and HP), and Anges swapped to Black Mage with White Magic. It didn't seem to help much.

Ringabel and the casters have about 1250hp, Tiz in Spell Fencer had about 1400 hp, and as a Knight with HP up has 1700hp. Edea as a Knight went up to around 1450hp.

Edea doesn't actually feel all that much more survivable as a Knight than she did as a caster. On the other hand, Tiz putting on the shield did make a big difference for his survivability, but literally cut his damage in fourth.

Tono
2014-02-17, 02:34 PM
Hm. Are your job levels decent? There is a huge difference between a level 1 knight and a level 5 knight. Its easier with rod 2 special, but all bosses can be poisoned. Maybe try using that if you think you can reliably hit it. Give you a liiiittle bit extra damage while you heal.
AS for the RM, I think he only uses Lighting magic right? I don't remember but do you have the dampening acc. for that yet?

And the Valkryie can't really be mitigated yet. Juts make sure you're defaulting and have protection up for her jump.

Seerow
2014-02-17, 02:42 PM
Hm. Are your job levels decent? There is a huge difference between a level 1 knight and a level 5 knight. Its easier with rod 2 special, but all bosses can be poisoned. Maybe try using that if you think you can reliably hit it. Give you a liiiittle bit extra damage while you heal.
AS for the RM, I think he only uses Lighting magic right? I don't remember but do you have the dampening acc. for that yet?

And the Valkryie can't really be mitigated yet. Juts make sure you're defaulting and have protection up for her jump.

Most of my job levels in classes I'm using range between 6 and 8, with the only exception being Edea's knight.

Guess I just gotta do strategy better. I'll give it another shot being more careful.

Edit: Got them both down on following attempts. Just gotta be more careful with using BP I guess.

Rodin
2014-02-18, 09:02 AM
Elvis Ringabel doing the Ascending Palm Special is now officially my favorite ultimate attack ever. The only thing missing was an electric guitar solo...

Tylorious
2014-02-18, 09:14 AM
I logged on today looking to start this exact thread. The GitPers who also play Bravely Default need to all get together and share some 3ds codes. I would love to have a village with 20 villagers in it. Anyone up for that?

Ridai
2014-02-18, 09:36 AM
I think the "strategy" I used for almost all bossfights of the game was having one white mage (usually Agnes) and the rest being level 7+ monks with fist weapons or entirely unarmed with the passive to get bonus attack damage while unarmed based on level. Added damage bonus passives to that as well.

The monks default up to 3 BP, the white mage keeps everyone alive (relatively easy with healing every round and most taking reduced damage). If no immediate healing is needed, default with the mage as well to have BP ready for emergencies or buff up, whatever you like (I rarely found the mage buffs that useful, Performers are just better at it). The monks then all brave three times and use Qigong Wave with every action. Repeat until dead. Sure, there are better combos, but this one worked almost every time on the first try regardless and doesn't care whether the boss defaults or not.

Later on, a Pirate 14 with Swordmaster 14 used in the same rhythm as above leads to 7 attacks doing 9999 damage over two rounds, which applied to three characters is enough to finish all but the very endgame bosses in one go (unless we are talking Hard mode).

Four Valkyries with Two-Handed, armed with spears and damage passives, braving once each in the first round and each using Crescent Moon twice also led to 90+% of all random encounters ending in the first round. I think most of the game was spent with automated fights at highest speed possible, as it rarely forced me to do anything else.

Brute force solves most fights in Bravely Default. If you want the game to be a challenge, do not train jobs up to max job level, as those contain skills that pretty much break the game in all kinds of ways, with the very endgame bosses being the only ones that aren't just killed in one round.

Tome
2014-02-18, 11:00 AM
I logged on today looking to start this exact thread. The GitPers who also play Bravely Default need to all get together and share some 3ds codes. I would love to have a village with 20 villagers in it. Anyone up for that?

Sounds good to me.

Name: Taejix
Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968

Sylthia
2014-02-18, 02:38 PM

I think I have you added from Pokemon, but you may have removed me. My code is in my sig.

Seerow
2014-02-18, 02:40 PM
I got my casters Shield Skill, and holy crap what a difference.

Losing out on the second weapon for extra magic attack power is a drawback, but not one that's super noticeable. But it's totally noticeable when the casters are taking half the damage as the heavy armor guys with two-handed weapons. It's been helping out a lot with those survivability issues I was having, and makes recovering from a near wipe from "omg suddenly too much damage" much more manageable.

Sylthia
2014-02-18, 02:46 PM
I got my casters Shield Skill, and holy crap what a difference.

Losing out on the second weapon for extra magic attack power is a drawback, but not one that's super noticeable. But it's totally noticeable when the casters are taking half the damage as the heavy armor guys with two-handed weapons. It's been helping out a lot with those survivability issues I was having, and makes recovering from a near wipe from "omg suddenly too much damage" much more manageable.

That's a knight skill, right? I'll have to train my mages up in that.

tonberrian
2014-02-18, 05:02 PM
I found out what was so terrible in the fight that was stonewalling me - one character was using My Hero (one BP for each ally) but wasn't paying the cost for it (2 BP). So the whole team was getting way more actions than they should.

Tome
2014-02-18, 08:58 PM
I found out what was so terrible in the fight that was stonewalling me - one character was using My Hero (one BP for each ally) but wasn't paying the cost for it (2 BP). So the whole team was getting way more actions than they should.

Do you mean in the final chapter side quests? Yeah, they do tweak some of the mechanics a little for that. Merchants don't actually have access to a Large BP Drink ability after all, and there's no way they could have given Praline access to Mimic to properly exploit My Hero.

Sylthia
2014-02-18, 09:56 PM
I kinda wish they had kept in some of the random fetch quests from the Demo. It seems like the quantity of side-quests is a bit low.

Winterfate
2014-02-19, 01:59 AM
Rant about Chapter 5 in Spoilers:

Ack, I'm beating the Eternian Officers again in Chapter 5 and I'd like to say that it's a jerk move (to say it politely) that you basically need to grind so that you can actually beat any of them. I finished Chapter 4 with a party level of 51 and I had to grind all the way to 65 just to beat the three fights in Caldisla. Really weakening my resolve to play.

Right now I'm brick-walled trying to beat Old Man Fiore DeRosa again. I think I have his pattern down, but I feel the party's just too squishy. Also, Revenge is 100x nastier when the person in question can actually take a hit or two. :smallannoyed:

How I've been fighting him is by casting Reflect on him and then using physical attacks. When he does his Cura/Thundara combo, the Cura bounces off of him to one of my party members. I use Enigma to nullify the lightning damage, but that's too BP-prohibitive for my tastes. Going to have find whomever sells anti-lightning charms. *sigh*

Of course, that's the bad. The good is that I really like the fact that Squeenix had the guts to actually pull such a plot twist. Some people literally quit when they saw all of the blue exclamation marks active again on the world map, but I find it's cool to see different aspects of each officer. I just feel that Bravely Default would have been better served by not forcing its players to grind so heavily after a point in the game.

Rodin
2014-02-19, 04:17 AM
I'm at about the same point and equally irked, if that helps. The enemies have caught up to my earlier level grinding and the bosses are just plain nasty.

Encounter rate to 200%, ho!

Tome
2014-02-19, 05:39 AM
Grinding isn't actually that bad. You can easily hit level 99 in a couple of hours if you grind in the right place.

Here's how to make it easier.

Level up the accessory store in Norende until you can purchase a Growth Egg.
Equip the Growth Egg. Don't bother with more than one, they don't stack. Everyone else should probably have Alarm Earrings equipped.
Have everyone max out their Freelancer levels first. Equip the JP Up ability that gives you on everyone.
Fly over to the Witherwood in Florem.
Find a sustainable setup that will wipe the enemies here. Set the game to auto, crank up the battle speed and encounter rates.
Find something more interesting to do as you casually rotate the joystick around and occasionally tap A for the next hour or two.
Congrats, you have hit level 99. A couple more hours should see you to maxing out your jobs too.

If you have the Conjurer job you can equip the Obliterate ability that gives you to make battles even faster.

Tylorious
2014-02-19, 08:05 AM
I think I have you added from Pokemon, but you may have removed me. My code is in my sig.

I didn't remove you from pokemon and I'm sure you are already in my Norende, but you aren't on my ingame friend list. Or if you are, it's most likely under guest. How do i fix that?

Sylthia
2014-02-19, 10:19 AM
I didn't remove you from pokemon and I'm sure you are already in my Norende, but you aren't on my ingame friend list. Or if you are, it's most likely under guest. How do i fix that?

I'm not sure. I usually update once a day. Maybe you could try linking me to a character.

huttj509
2014-02-19, 02:18 PM

Question 1: Save menu, add friends, via internet?

That's what got me my brother from across the country on my in-game friends list.

tonberrian
2014-02-19, 02:38 PM
I never had trouble with the side quests in chapter 5, but I ground up excessively in Chapter 4 for the final subquest. The dragons were terrible until you realize that Red Mage BP Recovery works on the elemental weakness granted by the eye moves, and Greater Spirit Ward is enough to counteract the breaths most of the time, though you might want to equip anti ailment for water, earth, dark, and light.

Tono
2014-02-19, 09:20 PM
Dragons are terrible until you realize Ninjas can auto-battle it.

Had to call a break today. Im in Ch.8 where you have to
Battle the bosses all together back to back. Its just so repetitive. I finally gave out. I might go beat it in a week or two but as of this moment. ... No. Especially since I already got the normal ending and at this point don't see anything too different in store for me. Fighting the same group over and over again just kills this for me. Specially since for the last two or three chapters I've seen the exact same dialogue over and over, with this just being new. ugh.

Sylthia
2014-02-19, 10:01 PM
I'm still in Chapter 3. I like having a long stretch of several hours to play RPGs, and have a hard time when I can only play an hour or less at a time. Hopefully this weekend sees a bit more free time. Although, Saturday, I'll be busy with D&D, but that's a good problem to have.

I've found that with SP, you aren't limited by the typical -4 maximum. By using some multi-BP-cost moves, I got my BP down to -10. That will take a few days to get back. Luckily, I never really feel the need to use SP, I just figure I'll use it on Boss fights, since it's there.

Illieas
2014-02-20, 12:05 PM
so i got quite a bit of time on this and just finished up fire crystal

I am confused by the eril move to the geezers. Sure the old man is sick but you took the kid from a loving home, so that you could give the old geezer a replacement kid. The kid has to take care of the geezer, the INN, and all the agnst of losing everyone he loves and working in mines. I just think that is just wrong to do that move though in game it turn into all sunshine in rainbows.

I also found an alternate ending to the ninja subquest

Talk to the dead maid 18-20 times. then you expose the ninja woman. Steiner and Nuer will both not die and they settle their differences.

Tome
2014-02-20, 05:32 PM

I am confused by the eril move to the geezers. Sure the old man is sick but you took the kid from a loving home, so that you could give the old geezer a replacement kid. The kid has to take care of the geezer, the INN, and all the agnst of losing everyone he loves and working in mines. I just think that is just wrong to do that move though in game it turn into all sunshine in rainbows.

Talk to the dead maid 18-20 times. then you expose the ninja woman. Steiner and Nuer will both not die and they settle their differences.

The idea is that the Kid is noticeably less than enthusiastic about living with the Goodmans, while the idea of training to be a guard whilst living with the innkeeper is something he'd much prefer. Moving somewhere far away is also a bonus for him. Whilst it's never brought up that he could easily get the same training form the Commander, moving away like that actually is a RL tactic to help deal with that sort of thing - lots of people prefer to move away from places where traumatic events occurred.

Meanwhile, the intent is that the Innkeeper is wasting away from grief/loneliness rather than suffering from any actual malady and having a kid/replacement goldfish to take care of again will have him back on his feet in no time. I'm reasonably sure that this is a cultural thing, considering it shows up a few times in Japanese media.

Tsuzurao
2014-02-20, 05:56 PM

Regarding the Spoiler nested inside your first Spoiler...
I did notice that, upon reviewing the Event Viewer, that certain Events (mostly Sub Scenario ones, but I did see one case in a Main Scenario event in Chapter 2) have 'A' or 'B' [also in one case, 'A/B', and in one case, 'C'] next to them. Given what you've said, I assume there are other Quests where the events within change based on certain things done.

Sylthia
2014-02-21, 04:15 PM
I wish there was something for the Norende villagers to do after completing the rebuilding. Maybe you could assign them to produce gold, items, or SP for you. It just seems odd to keep getting more villagers with nothing for them to do.