PDA

View Full Version : Lore Inquiries

LoreseekerVale
2013-12-25, 03:04 PM
Hey. I registered because I was hoping you guys can help me gain some extra lore that I can't find via Google. I don't play table top, but online, and I play an Oghman priest. Hah!

I was asked to research the Genesis Rote, a spell through Netherese text to create a dimensional plane.

{{scrubbed}}

Does this suffice or is there an actual "text" on a Genesis Rote?

--

Last question: Let's say a crazy evil mage bastard trapped a bunch of souls into the mortar that makes up most of his castle. How did he do this? How would release those souls?

I appreciate it.

erikun
2013-12-25, 05:48 PM
Netheril (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Netheril) is a former empire in the Forgotten Realms. They were ruled by mages who accomplished a lot of things that might be impossible in this day. However, their empire eventually fell apart, most notably by the magic in their floating cities becoming unstable and causing them to crash into the ground.

Most magic from Netheril was specifically lost, and so you aren't likely to find a copy of any Netherese spell. I don't think that there has been any official printed versions in any edition of D&D. The spell you have listed in just the common Genesis spell that any Wizard with 9th level spellcasting can learn, based off the 9th level psionic power Genesis. There also isn't a Netherese spell that specifically traps souls into mortal to construct a building - most likely, both are simply DM creations for the game.

Rhynn
2013-12-25, 06:10 PM
Most magic from Netheril was specifically lost, and so you aren't likely to find a copy of any Netherese spell. I don't think that there has been any official printed versions in any edition of D&D.

Netheril: Empire of Magic (AD&D 2E) has many, many, many Netherese spells (10th through 12th level spells), because it has rules for playing Netherese characters during the height of the Empire.

IIRC, D&D 3.5's Lost Empires of Faerun has a few epic spells presented as Netherese spells (although I guess technically epic spells should be post-Netherese high-level magic; but then again, Elven High Magic uses epic spell rules too).

Slipperychicken
2013-12-25, 06:44 PM
Last question: Let's say a crazy evil mage bastard trapped a bunch of souls into the mortar that makes up most of his castle. How did he do this? How would release those souls?

He could have cast Trap the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) an embedded the gems in the mortar.

RochtheCrusher
2013-12-25, 07:33 PM
He could have cast Trap the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) an embedded the gems in the mortar.

At which point you could chip away the mortar, recover the gems, and free each soul individually... but that would require you to unbuild the place by hand.

Pretty sure destroying the castle would render the souls lost, not free.

LoreseekerVale
2013-12-26, 01:16 PM
Thank you guys a ton.

Would spell would be cast to free the souls though? True Resurrection?

Slipperychicken
2013-12-26, 04:49 PM
Thank you guys a ton.

Would spell would be cast to free the souls though? True Resurrection?

It's in the spell description. You merely need to break the gem or dispel the effect.