PDA

View Full Version : Question on Druid Armor

Setra
2013-12-25, 06:51 PM
Can you make armor specifically for your Wild Shape form, then have an ally put it on for you after you wildshape?

Like, instead of using +1 Wild Dragonhide Breastplate could you have +4 Dragonhide Breastplate that's fitted for your Tiger form?

Another_Poet
2013-12-25, 06:53 PM
Yes. You would need to use the barding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm) rules, which affects price and weight (and flight ability).

You'll also need an ally to put it on you.

This raises an interesting question: Your human-form armor melds into your body when you shapeshift, and reappears when you revert. So if an ally puts your barding on you in, say, Wolf form, and you revert to human, does the barding meld into you and reappear when you go back to Wolf?

My gut says yes, which would mean seamless armor transitions.

Setra
2013-12-25, 06:56 PM
Yes. You would need to use the barding rules, which affects price and weight.
Ah, ok, thanks.

Vhaidara
2013-12-25, 07:19 PM
That sounds totally badass. Expensive and impractical as hell, but totally badass.

jaydubs
2013-12-25, 07:27 PM
This raises an interesting question: Your human-form armor melds into your body when you shapeshift, and reappears when you revert. So if an ally puts your barding on you in, say, Wolf form, and you revert to human, does the barding meld into you and reappear when you go back to Wolf?

My gut says yes, which would mean seamless armor transitions.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Druid - Under wild shape.

"Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet."

The barding just falls off when you return to your true form, and you have to put it back on after wild shaping again. Though it might work if you transform from an armored wolf, to a bird, and then revert to the wolf form. The armor might meld when you become a bird

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-25, 07:36 PM
It still doesn't replace the Wild enhancement since you'd need a set of (presumably enchanted) barding for every animal form you want to shape into.
If that's too expensive for you consider being neutral good and using Luminous Armor.

jaydubs
2013-12-25, 07:43 PM
Or alternatively (or depending on your DM in addition to) a Monk's Belt with a wilding clasp.

bekeleven
2013-12-26, 01:08 AM
Beastskin is a +2 enchantment that causes your armor to change shape, bur you keep it - ASF, ACP, and armor special abilities all.

A wilding clasp, by RAW, does exactly the same thing and costs 4k.

jaydubs
2013-12-26, 01:19 AM
Beastskin consumes a wild shape use to make armor change with you.

Wilding clasps don't consume a wild shape use, but don't transform your armor either, so it's only useful on non-armor items or when you're turning into a form with a similar shape.

Urpriest
2013-12-26, 01:58 AM
Beastskin is a +2 enchantment that causes your armor to change shape, bur you keep it - ASF, ACP, and armor special abilities all.

A wilding clasp, by RAW, does exactly the same thing and costs 4k.

This, roughly speaking. The comparison is with +1 Beastskin vs. +3 Barding. Wild Armor gives an armor bonus with no ACP or other movement restrictions, so it's a bit better.

Inuzuka
2013-12-26, 05:29 AM
A pearl of speech and the Called armor enchantment from MIC should allow you to auto equip custom armor for your wild shape.

Called costs +2000gp to add to armor, and Barding costs either x2 or x4.

bekeleven
2013-12-26, 05:40 AM
This, roughly speaking. The comparison is with +1 Beastskin vs. +3 Barding. Wild Armor gives an armor bonus with no ACP or other movement restrictions, so it's a bit better.

I don't like wild armor. It doesn't keep armor special abilities. Why have armor if you don't have at least light fortification, glamered, etc?

At the very least you need an animated shield or some other clunky solution.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-26, 06:18 AM
I don't like wild armor. It doesn't keep armor special abilities. Why have armor if you don't have at least light fortification, glamered, etc?

At the very least you need an animated shield or some other clunky solution.

Bracers of Armor with a Wilding Clasp takes care of any special abilities you need.
It's actually cheaper if you use it for special abilities instead of AC since you don't have to pay for masterwork armor.
It can also be argued that you don't have to get a useless +1 enhancement first since the bracers are already magical (ask your DM).
I'd limit it to really important stuff though since you can get crit immunity and a lot of other stuff from spells.

The only thing i usually buy on gear is Soulfire since you really don't want to get your Death Ward dispelled and it's duration is too short anyway.
Maybe add Mindarmor since it's cheap and useful. There aren't really any other armor enhancements you can't get from spells that i'd consider worth the money.
You can get your AC bonus from Luminous Armor (if you're good) and/or a monk's belt, which also boosts touch AC.

The money you save can be spend on a Necklace of Natural Weapons to get stuff like Warning and Defending (enhancements you only need on one natural weapon, keeps the cost down) in your animal forms. Get your enhancement bonus to attacks with Greater or Superior Magic Fang.

It can be a bit of a hassle sometimes but that's the price you pay for being a sexy wildshaping beast. :smalltongue:
If you don't like it trade WS out for one of the ACFs.

bekeleven
2013-12-26, 07:08 AM
Those are all great suggestions for a druid. Less good for a WS Ranger/MoMF, who won't have pumped wisdom or easy access to spells.

Well, cept the necklace. I'm running multiple PbP games with necklances of natural weapons. I tend to stack it with an amulet of mighty fists for +, if the WBL alloweth.