PDA

View Full Version : Permenant Alter Self

Deepwood Sniper
2013-12-25, 11:08 PM
I am currently playing in a gestalt campaign with an elf Bard/Wizard. I am currently at level 3 but money really isn't an option since this will be a long term campaign. what i want is an item that will give me the spell like ability of alter self. However, i want to be able to use it as if there is no time limit (spell is 10min/level), and I want it to still be active, even as my character sleeps. If there is such an item I would prefer it to be a ring. If not, then that's fine too. I also need it to let me change appearances at will (or at least a couple of times a day) as if i was a doppelganger or changeling. i know this is alot to ask, but i have my reasons. Please help?

Rebel7284
2013-12-25, 11:12 PM
Does it have to be specifically alter self? The disguise skill can accomplish appearance changing. There is no item that gives alter self at will. The closest I can think of is psychoactive skin of proteus.

Deepwood Sniper
2013-12-25, 11:17 PM
i dont suppose it has to. as long as im able to change minor things like; skin color, eye/hair color, hair length, and preferably the appearance of my race (since im an elf, id like to look half-elf, human, and other races that look fairly human-like at will), etc

Urpriest
2013-12-25, 11:18 PM
i dont suppose it has to. as long as im able to change minor things like; skin color, eye/hair color, hair length, and preferably the appearance of my race (since im an elf, id like to look half-elf, human, and other races that look fairly human-like at will), etc

The Hat of Disguise already does that.

Deepwood Sniper
2013-12-25, 11:21 PM
The Hat of Disguise already does that.

id rather not have to wear a hat at all times though... is there a way i can imbue that ability into something more discrete like a ring?

Rebel7284
2013-12-25, 11:29 PM
As per item creation guidelines, doubling the item's cost can make it slotless. Alternatively, cast invisibility on the hat. :)

Urpriest
2013-12-25, 11:29 PM
id rather not have to wear a hat at all times though... is there a way i can imbue that ability into something more discrete like a ring?

The hat changes along with the rest of the disguise, so it can be a tiara or headband or whatever. If you want it in another item, you'd need your DM to approve a custom item.

Deepwood Sniper
2013-12-25, 11:31 PM
Can i make the hat change to something like hair braids or maybe even invisible?

Urpriest
2013-12-25, 11:37 PM
Can i make the hat change to something like hair braids or maybe even invisible?

The item description gives a good range of examples. Invisible isn't an option, but a ribbon in your hair is.

kardar233
2013-12-26, 12:33 AM
If you actually did want Alter Self, then a good candidate would be the Fleshshifter armour out of Book of Vile Darkness. Costs ~12K IIRC, and you could probably refluff it not to be made out of human skin.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-26, 04:38 AM
Unless psionics is banned, a skin of proteus is what you want. It's the psionic version of polymorph with a continual duration.

Take a standard action, pick a form, remain in that form until you decide to pick a new one.

If psionics is unavailable then a hat of disguise in the form of a comb, hair pin, or bandana could do the trick.

Darrin
2013-12-26, 07:38 AM
Fleshshifter armor (13160 GP, Book of Vile Darkness). +1 leather armor with alter self at will. It doesn't mention if it's use-activated, command-word, or specify a duration, so you could fluff this is "always on".

Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, Arms & Equipment Guide). 1/day polymorph into any creature up to 7HD for an indefinite duration.

Deepwood Sniper
2013-12-26, 06:05 PM
Unless psionics is banned, a skin of proteus is what you want. It's the psionic version of polymorph with a continual duration.

Take a standard action, pick a form, remain in that form until you decide to pick a new one.

If psionics is unavailable then a hat of disguise in the form of a comb, hair pin, or bandana could do the trick.

Thank you so much. No psion ice is not banned. I'll check it out. What book is it in?

Xefas
2013-12-26, 06:37 PM
Thank you so much. No psion ice is not banned. I'll check it out. What book is it in?

The Tome of Essar'dee. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus)

bekeleven
2013-12-26, 06:40 PM
Note that a hat of disguise has a DC11 will save to see through for anyone that interacts with you. Interacting generally means something like "shook your hand and it felt wrong"; basically any sense besides vision.

If this is an issue for you, you can make a Hat of Alter Self for 6x the price. (CL ->3, Spell level ->2)