PDA

View Full Version : Few Ideas I have for Druids

Suzaku
2007-01-18, 08:17 PM
I’m looking to make Druid a bit more balanced; however I’m not looking to outright nerf bat on Druid like other members on this forum. I’m also going take a step out ordinary instead focusing on natural spell instead I’m going to focus on spells and different aspect of wildshape.

My first idea is not have Druids know their entire spell list instead function more like Wizard’s spell book. A druid wouldn’t have spell book but at every level a druid would pick two spells from Druid spell list. To obtain more spells a druid would seek out other druids in their circle or convince a druid from a different circle and perhaps some sort of woodland creature (like Nymph). If a druid wishes to learn spell some other way she would have to research the spell using normal rules in the dmg. After making contact with another druid and if they wish to pass on the knowledge of the spell both druids would perform a ritual costing the same as writing down and last for one day. However Druids were never about money so instead it could be payment through some sort service any one have a suggestion for this service?

My second Idea is to focus on the definition on familiarity. The PHB, DMG or any book for that matter doesn’t define familiarity. Most DMs seem to handle it by knowledge nature check which practically any druids could make so it’s still hand me the MM. The PHB also gives an example of a druid who has never left a temperate forest can’t wildshape into a polar bear, meaning a knowledge nature checks shouldn’t circumvent it. Seeing as a Druid could just use Summon Nature’s Ally 5 to encounter a polar bear so simply having an encounter with said animal shouldn’t qualify as familiarity. This leaves the druid should go out into the wilderness and look for these animals and study them in the wild. But how should this function when a druid starts the game 5th level or above a druid could argue that he’s been to various continents exploring different habitats could anyone recommend some sort of mechanic?

Another issue would be stat dumping Str and Dex because Wildshape changes physical attributes to match those animals. Perhaps the Str and Dex of the regular form would also effect the Str and Dex of the wildshape. For example lets say a Druid with 8 Str and 9 Dex and wildshape into a Lion. Instead of having a Str 21 and Dex 17 the Druid would have Str 19 and Dex 16. If this happens Druid should also get a bonus for having Str and Dex above 10 but treat this bonus as an enchantment bonus. This would make Str and Dex not be a dump stat and suddenly Druid is no longer a SAD class instead it’s a MAD class, forcing the class to balance Str, Dex Con and Wis as their primary stat.

MetalKelt
2007-01-18, 08:32 PM
My first idea is not have Druids know their entire spell list instead function more like Wizard’s spell book. A druid wouldn’t have spell book but at every level a druid would pick two spells from Druid spell list. To obtain more spells a druid would seek out other druids in their circle or convince a druid from a different circle and perhaps some sort of woodland creature (like Nymph). If a druid wishes to learn spell some other way she would have to research the spell using normal rules in the dmg. After making contact with another druid and if they wish to pass on the knowledge of the spell both druids would perform a ritual costing the same as writing down and last for one day. However Druids were never about money so instead it could be payment through some sort service any one have a suggestion for this service?

An interesting idea, though just because Druids don't generally aim to accumulate wealth, they still are aware of money's use as a tool. I don't see why money or goods wouldn't be an acceptable payment method. And the cost could simply be for material components for the ritual (the higher level the spell, the more costly the needed components).

My second Idea is to focus on the definition on familiarity. The PHB, DMG or any book for that matter doesn’t define familiarity. Most DMs seem to handle it by knowledge nature check which practically any druids could make so it’s still hand me the MM. The PHB also gives an example of a druid who has never left a temperate forest can’t wildshape into a polar bear, meaning a knowledge nature checks shouldn’t circumvent it. Seeing as a Druid could just use Summon Nature’s Ally 5 to encounter a polar bear so simply having an encounter with said animal shouldn’t qualify as familiarity. This leaves the druid should go out into the wilderness and look for these animals and study them in the wild. But how should this function when a druid starts the game 5th level or above a druid could argue that he’s been to various continents exploring different habitats could anyone recommend some sort of mechanic?

This is a little trickier. Personally, I'd leave it up to DM fiat. Whatever the DM feels is reasonable would work. However, for a game mechanic, how about every time the druid levels, they can pick an additional animal to be familiar with from a climate they have been in during their adventures since last they leveled.

Another issue would be stat dumping Str and Dex because Wildshape changes physical attributes to match those animals. Perhaps the Str and Dex of the regular form would also effect the Str and Dex of the wildshape. For example lets say a Druid with 8 Str and 9 Dex and wildshape into a Lion. Instead of having a Str 21 and Dex 17 the Druid would have Str 19 and Dex 16. If this happens Druid should also get a bonus for having Str and Dex above 10 but treat this bonus as an enchantment bonus. This would make Str and Dex not be a dump stat and suddenly Druid is no longer a SAD class instead it’s a MAD class, forcing the class to balance Str, Dex Con and Wis as their primary stat.

What I would do is instead of replacing the scores completely, I'd replace racial modifiers. e.g.

the Brown Bear has roughly the following modifiers

STR +8
DEX +2
CON +4

A Dwarven Druid with:

STR 8
DEX 12
CON 14

would become a brown bear with

STR 16
DEX 14
CON 16