PDA

View Full Version : Build Advice Plz (Thank You)

LordAshenshield
2013-12-26, 12:09 AM
Ok so I a doing a Gestalt game, its a Skyrim setting, but we are using Pathfinder Spells and the like as well as most of their weapons and armor enhancements and the like. The DM and us just love the setting and fluff.

But I am debating the Sorcerer or Bard as a first class. I love the bard, the spells and the knowledge buffs and so forth are just so much fun. But I have always been curious about the playing of a Sorcerer.

So, can you increase the spells known in either class?
Is the spells known list (For example the bards spells known) their whole spell list, with any other spell from their spell list requiring a UMD check?
What class would work best with them?
I have heard Barbarian works amazing with Bard but I don't see it.
What works best with Bards
What works best with Sorcerers?

Flickerdart
2013-12-26, 12:15 AM
Spontaneous casters learn very few spells, and have a hard time learning more. If you want to know many spells you're better off playing a cleric or a wizard - not even the most souped up bard or sorcerer knows nearly as many spells. Bards and sorcerers, unlike clerics and druids, do not know their whole list. Instead, they have to learn spells according to the schedule listed in the class table.

The other half depends on what you want to do. Spellcasters are great at buffing themselves and then wandering into melee combat, so if this is something you want then go for a class like Fighter or indeed Barbarian. If you'd rather blow stuff up then another class might work better for you - you could try a Rogue, since Sneak Attack can apply to spells like Scorching Ray that require an attack roll to hit.

Bard is generally inferior to Sorcerer in a gestalt, since its advantages (better hit die, better BAB, more skill points) can all be replaced by a well-picked second half.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-26, 12:19 AM
Well we cannot pick any prepared casters due to Skyrim not having anyone like that, no one was prepping spells so this is more of a flavor restriction.

Unless you know a way I can make Cleric, Druid, or Wizards spontaneous.

Flickerdart
2013-12-26, 12:32 AM
Well we cannot pick any prepared casters due to Skyrim not having anyone like that, no one was prepping spells so this is more of a flavor restriction.

Unless you know a way I can make Cleric, Druid, or Wizards spontaneous.
Check it. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) Although that heavily limits their spells known as well.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-26, 12:46 AM
How do you think a Sha'ir would do if I refluffed the Gen into something like a mystical follower motif?

Grizzled Gryphon
2013-12-26, 01:24 AM
If you have the Best of Dragon Magazine book available, and your reference to the Sha'ir says you do, check the Battle Dancer. Very nice gestalt with the Sorcerer.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-26, 01:35 AM
It seems to have a nice synergy.

Well I was thinking loosely Sha'ir//Ranger or maybe Sha'ir//Mighty Godling (3rd Party Class)

Spirit Shaman is nice for a a divine caster I suppose, but of course that goes off the Druid spell list which might not have the healing stuff.

Blah we need better Spontanous casters. I get that Wizards and Archivist classes learn all potential spells but I think there should be some type that learns more spells known then just those few as a Variant if nothing else.