PDA

View Full Version : Epic Artificer

Yogibear41
2013-12-26, 03:31 AM
Are there any rules anywhere for epic level infusions? Or maybe being able to create artifacts or something above and beyond what an epic wizard or other spellcaster could do? Only thing I can find on an epic level artificer is a small bit on page 17 of the players guide to eberron.

Rebel7284
2013-12-26, 10:00 AM
There was a 10 level epic prestige class that gave craft artifact as a capstone. Can't find it now. Pretty sure it was on the wizards site.

malonkey1
2013-12-26, 11:41 AM
Honestly, I'd just use the Epic Spellcasting rules. Require 9th-level infusions, allow Arties to take Improved Spell Capacity for their Infusions, and bing-bang-boom, you got yerself a baby pachyderm.

Stegyre
2013-12-26, 03:14 PM
Require 9th-level infusions, . . . .
That requirement is going to be a little hard to satisfy, I fear. :smallconfused:
At least according to my copy of ECS, infusions only go up to 6th level, unless they added three more infusion levels somewhere and didn't tell me.

Starmage21
2013-12-26, 03:26 PM
That requirement is going to be a little hard to satisfy, I fear. :smallconfused:
At least according to my copy of ECS, infusions only go up to 6th level, unless they added three more infusion levels somewhere and didn't tell me.

By taking Improved Spell Capacity, you can eventually qualify for Epic Spellcasting, as ISC can grant you spells up to 1 level higher than you can currently cast. Even a Paladin using five iterations of ISC can then take Epic Spellcasting.

Chronos
2013-12-26, 07:37 PM
Improved Spell Capacity isn't enough; you also need Heighten Spell, or some other way to get a 9th-level spell to cast from those slots. Can artificers use metamagic on their infusions?

malonkey1
2013-12-26, 07:47 PM
Improved Spell Capacity isn't enough; you also need Heighten Spell, or some other way to get a 9th-level spell to cast from those slots. Can artificers use metamagic on their infusions?

Yes. It's stated in the description for the Artificer's Infusions that metamagic can be applied to them as if they were spells.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-26, 07:56 PM
Artificers are not spellcasters. Infusions are not spells, so you can't use them to qualify for feats that require any kind of spellcasting.
You can use metamagic on infusions because it's explicitly called out, but that's it.
That means no Epic Spellcasting for Artificers, ever. As far as i'm aware there isn't an epic progression either.

There was the Artifact Lord epic destiny but WotC took it down. It also didn't allow you to make artifacts iirc.

malonkey1
2013-12-26, 08:06 PM
Artificers are not spellcasters. Infusions are not spells, so you can't use them to qualify for feats that require any kind of spellcasting.
You can use metamagic on infusions because it's explicitly called out, but that's it.
That means no Epic Spellcasting for Artificers, ever.

While this is correct, I was suggesting a possible houseruling.

As far as i'm aware there isn't an epic progression either.

Player's Guide to Eberron. Page 17.

There was the Artifact Lord epic destiny but WotC took it down. It also didn't allow you to make artifacts iirc.

Link Here. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/232418-epic-destinies-converting-epic-destinies-d-d-3-5-web-article.html) You are correct, however. No creating artifacts (unless you count the final destiny).

Egopunk
2013-12-26, 08:13 PM
What kinds of things would constitute epic infusions?

Things like infuse intelligence perhaps? Infuse an item with intelligence charisma and wisdom, and properties as rolled randomly from the intelligent weapon tables. Duration is hours per level?

malonkey1
2013-12-26, 09:25 PM
What kinds of things would constitute epic infusions?

Things like infuse intelligence perhaps? Infuse an item with intelligence charisma and wisdom, and properties as rolled randomly from the intelligent weapon tables. Duration is hours per level?

Hrmmmm... Well, here's a rough idea.

Breath of Intelligence (DC 70)
Seeds: Fortify (For the ability scores and item powers, DC 27), Life (To animate the object, DC 27)
School: Transmutation
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Duration:
Save: Will Negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Modifiers: Extra +33 ability bonus (+33), One Lesser Power (Ad-Hoc +10), Item Intelligence (Ad-Hoc +10), XP Burn (-19), Extended Casting Time (10 minutes total, -18)
You can endow a single touched magic item, with a caster level of at least 20, intelligence. It receives a base of 12 points in two ability scores, and 10 in the third. It receives any 1 lesser power, the ability to communicate empathically with its holder, and 30-ft. vision and hearing. This effects an instantaneous and permanent change, unlocking the latent magic energies contained within. You can cast this on an existing intelligent item (including one created from this spell), to improve it, granting it the benefits of an intelligent item one row lower on the table given here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm). So, for example, Methrys casts this epic spell on his trusty amulet of health, granting it the above. He casts it again on the same amulet, thereby improving its two higher ability scores by 1, granting it a second lesser power, and doubling its sensory range.
This spell costs XP equal to 10 times the change in the base price modifier that results from the intelligent item's quality (so the first casting costs 10,000 XP, Methrys's second casting would cost 10,000 XP, and so on.) The cost for this spell is counted as 19000 GP (the average of the possible values)