PDA

View Full Version : Really big blinged out weapons.

Sugarbear007
2013-12-26, 07:53 AM
So this will probably seem silly... because it is.

I've been fiddling around coming up with a new character for my next campaign. I don't expect it will last long. We're switching GM's for a bit and I just don't think my friend has the patience for it. Anyway, I am thinking of doing something kind of wierd, was wondering how exactly it would work if it even can. I'm not allowed any races or templates that add level adjustments.

Wanted a silverbrow human for both the feat and the dragon blood. then get something on the lines of.

dragon tail
prehensile tail
multi weapon fighting
oversized twf

and then custom make gloves that combine strong arm bracers and, gloves of the balanced hand. Then proceeding to (pounce in some manner) swinging three really big weapons around.

So as far as I understand (was told) that since the multiweapon fighting feat says it replaces TWF things that work for twf also work for multiweapon fighting.

Really feat intensive I know, would probably have to do a lot of fighter levels and take a pair of flaws to even get close to all these.

Well then I had the idea (yeah crazy I know). Can I then get proficiency with bastard swords so they're even bigger one handers. Then proficiency with heavy bastard swords. Then triple wield large heavy bastard swords made out of gold or platinum. If I read it right a heavy weapon is treated as another size category bigger.

Further craziness, maybe those 100g wand slots for the weapons adding eternal wands of enlarge weapon, or just one of enlarge person probably would be more efficient.

Was going to start at level 5 but that got bumped up. Might be as high as 12. Really I'm sure that doesn't matter to terrible much for the question.

Seems like this guy would be a one trick pony but it would be a fairly fun trick. Really I'm not even sure all of this would work together. So can all these things be combined into making a blinged out frenzy of death? Thanks ahead of time for humoring me.

Andezzar
2013-12-26, 09:37 AM
The weapon damage die/dice usually is the smallest part on weapon damage. I would not invest that much in it. D8 vs d10 is one more point of damage on average. 2d6 nets you 1.5 more points of damage on average, but the d10 has a 10% chance of dealing maximum damage, 2d6 only 2.7%.

Why would you take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Bastard Sword)? Unless you want to wield both in one hand, you only need one feat.

Zweisteine
2013-12-26, 09:53 AM
Before you go into oversized weapons, I recommend looking at the Fullblade. It's a greatsword, but exotic and it deals 2d8 damage, making it a legit BFS.

Andezzar
2013-12-26, 10:06 AM
Before you go into oversized weapons, I recommend looking at the Fullblade. It's a greatsword, but exotic and it deals 2d8 damage, making it a legit BFS.You can't normally dual-wield a Fullblade. The OP wants to wield trhee weapons with two arms and one prehensile tail.

Also oversized anime swords are ridiculous (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xogheZdAO18).

Sugarbear007
2013-12-26, 10:53 AM
Ah, didn't realize I didn't need to be already proficient with the bastard sword to get the heavy version. That's helpful.

Well the idea was to be a medium character who uses three large gold bastard swords. If I read it all right. the 1d10 bsword damage becomes 2d6 as a gold weapon, and 3d6 as large. If I become enlarged my my large weapon becomes huge but hits as gargantuan for 4d6.

I am intentionally trying to be a little ridiculous. Mostly I was wondering if the things mentioned actually worked as I was thinking.

Andezzar
2013-12-26, 11:18 AM
Ah, didn't realize I didn't need to be already proficient with the bastard sword to get the heavy version. That's helpful.You need to have EWP (Bastard Sword) if you want to wield a normal bastard sword in one hand, you need EWP (Heavy Bastard Sword) to wield a heavy bastard sword. A heavy bastard sword is a one-handed exotic weapon. Those are two distinct weapons.

Well the idea was to be a medium character who uses three large gold bastard swords. If I read it all right. the 1d10 bsword damage becomes 2d6 as a gold weapon, and 3d6 as large. If I become enlarged my my large weapon becomes huge but hits as gargantuan for 4d6.You cannot wield two large one-handed weapons as a medium creature. If you use an oversized weapon not only do you get a -2 to attack rolls, the effort of use increases by one step i.e. a one-handed weapon is as difficult to wield as a two-handed weapon. Thus you cannot duel-wield with one-handed weapons sized for a creature one size larger than you are.

You could use the Enlarge Weapon spell. This spell however does not stack with Enlarge person or other spells that increase the wielder's size. So at best you get three bastard swords that do damage as huge weapons (actually large heavy weapons).

Darrin
2013-12-26, 11:23 AM
Wanted a silverbrow human for both the feat and the dragon blood. then get something on the lines of.

dragon tail
prehensile tail
multi weapon fighting
oversized twf

It's not very optimized (and probably not all that effective), but so far, I approve.

So as far as I understand (was told) that since the multiweapon fighting feat says it replaces TWF things that work for twf also work for multiweapon fighting.

That's my understanding, but the RAW on this is kind of vague. The rules don't state when the replacement happens, or if things like Glove of the Balanced Hand automatically swap TWF/Improved TWF for MWF/Improved MWF. I handwave most of this RACSD (Rules As Common Sense Dictates), but other DMs might prefer a different interpretation.

Really feat intensive I know, would probably have to do a lot of fighter levels and take a pair of flaws to even get close to all these.

A third level silverbrow human fighter has most of this in-place:

1) Fighter 1. Feat: Dragon Tail. Human: TWF. Bonus: Oversize TWF.
2) Fighter 2. Bonus: Exotic Weapon Proficiency.
3) Fighter 3. Feat: Prehensile Tail. (TWF -> MWF)

(Psychic Warrior 3 with expansion might be better, takes a ding on BAB but can increase size, eventually up to huge, and can pick up things like dimension hop and hustle.)

Well then I had the idea (yeah crazy I know). Can I then get proficiency with bastard swords so they're even bigger one handers. Then proficiency with heavy bastard swords. Then triple wield large heavy bastard swords made out of gold or platinum. If I read it right a heavy weapon is treated as another size category bigger.

...not exactly. Heavy weapons use a table (Magic of Faerun p. 179) that advances by die type rather than by size category. Of course, this was in a 3.0 book, and 3.5 weapon size categories didn't exist at that point. So you can either take the table as-is and converty by die type, or you can ask the DM to "adapt" it to 3.5 and just say "increase the weapon damage by one size category".

If you go by die type, then there's a quirk to the table in that a 1d8 or 1d10 weapon advances to 2d6 *per die*. So a 2d8 weapon becomes 4d6. What's not clear is when this advancement happens... well, ok, obviously when the weapon is created, but when you stack other size increases on it, it gets a little confusing.

For example, take a medium-sized bastard sword, and let's say we increase the size to large. As per the PHB p. 114, 1d10 -> 2d8. Now we make it out of gold, and 2d8 -> 4d6.

Or should we make it heavy first, then large? 1d10 -> 2d6 -> 2d8? Well, no, we shouldn't, if we can pick which increases happen first. And in D&D, we generally get to pick when things happen in the most beneficial order.

Note that once you get your weapon damage up to 4d6, the much-reviled Monkey Grip starts to look more enticing: -2 attack penalty for +7 damage? Yes, have some!

Seems like this guy would be a one trick pony but it would be a fairly fun trick. Really I'm not even sure all of this would work together. So can all these things be combined into making a blinged out frenzy of death? Thanks ahead of time for humoring me.

Needs more arms. But other than that... I'd probably consider Power Attack + Shock Trooper + Leap Attack + Pounce + Travel Devotion (x2 or x3), and I'd be feeling out the DM's opinion on Exotic Weapon Master's "uncanny blow".