PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Magus?

Norin
2013-12-26, 10:24 AM
So, what changes would i need to do to use the Magus class in 3.5?

Anyone done it? Thanks.

Psyren
2013-12-26, 10:48 AM
So, what changes would i need to do to use the Magus class in 3.5?

Anyone done it? Thanks.

Other than giving them Concentration as a class skill I don't really see anything much that needs it. Watch out for the CMB/CMD stuff and you should be good.

You may want to go through SpC, Complete Mage and similar books to look for additional spells for them, though you could always just require that they use Spell Blending to get anything new.

DarkOne-Rob
2013-12-26, 11:01 AM
Try the Duskblade from PHBII.

Norin
2013-12-26, 11:56 AM
Other than giving them Concentration as a class skill I don't really see anything much that needs it. Watch out for the CMB/CMD stuff and you should be good.

You may want to go through SpC, Complete Mage and similar books to look for additional spells for them, though you could always just require that they use Spell Blending to get anything new.

Not familiar with PF, what is CMB and CMD?

Try the Duskblade from PHBII.

I know of the Duskblade and it leaves me wanting, so I checked out Magus briefly and it looks more fun.

And yes, a bard or any other gish build would be good too, but Im quite curious about playing a Magus - alas, we only play 3.5.

Psyren
2013-12-26, 12:08 PM
Basically, Combat Maneuver Bonus (CMB) and Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD) are Paizo's way of streamlining the use of combat maneuvers such as grappling, tripping, disarming and bull-rushing.

Combat Maneuver Bonus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Combat-Maneuver-Bonus)
Combat Maneuver Defense (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Combat-Maneuver-Defense)

Instead of the more complicated checks from 3.5, you simply roll a CMB check and compare the result + modifiers to the target's CMD to determine if you've successfully affected them with the maneuver (i.e. grappled them, tripped them etc.)

It's important to understand because several magus spells refer to it (e.g. Hydraulic Push, Forceful Strike etc.) and so you'll need to know how to convert those bonuses over to 3.5 if you plan on using those spells.

Drachasor
2013-12-26, 01:10 PM
You'll want to change Spell Combat to use a Full Attack instead of a Full Round Action. I'd also remove the focus on having a weapon in one hand (but keep the one hand free requirement). The latter is needlessly limiting.

Spell Combat and Spellstrike should probably say that spellcasting using them doesn't provoke an AoO. Though with the reduced numbers in 3.5 this probably isn't as big a deal.

Add a lot more touch spells to their list. It's pretty ridiculous how few they get overall.

And I'd up the speed at which they move up to medium and heavy armor proficiency. That's one of the big reasons strength-based Magi are so underperforming. They should probably get Heavy Armor prof by level 6. Medium by level 3. Something like that.

Psyren
2013-12-26, 01:23 PM
Spell Combat and Spellstrike should probably say that spellcasting using them doesn't provoke an AoO. Though with the reduced numbers in 3.5 this probably isn't as big a deal.

They are meant to provoke, actually - you are required to cast defensively to perform these actions in melee range. Given that it is significantly easier to cast defensively in 3.5, this shouldn't be a problem.

Drachasor
2013-12-26, 01:29 PM
They are meant to provoke, actually - you are required to cast defensively to perform these actions in melee range. Given that it is significantly easier to cast defensively in 3.5, this shouldn't be a problem.

I know they are meant to provoke. It's just stupid that they do since being in melee and casting is the whole point of the class.

Psyren
2013-12-26, 01:36 PM
I know they are meant to provoke. It's just stupid that they do since being in melee and casting is the whole point of the class.

I think it's balanced. Spells can do considerably more than a melee attack - with Spell Combat for instance, you can wail on someone and teleport away from them or turn invisible all with the same action. Or you can True Strike and attack in the same round at level 1, combined with a disarm/trip/etc. for near auto-success. A chance at an AoO is literally the only thing an enemy can do to stop you, and that chance is even slimmer in 3.5.

DarkSonic1337
2013-12-26, 03:14 PM
1. Expand their spell list. Look to the spell compendium for ideas. Really, just avoid minionmancy and skill monkey spells. Pretty much everything else fits into their list just fine.

2. Add concentration as a class skill.

3. Maybe split up archtypes into alternative class features?

That's pretty much it for porting.

Norin
2013-12-26, 05:28 PM
Thanks all.

Ill look into a conversion using your tips, and possibly have a chat with my dm about the idea.