PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Feats around which you can build a Character

Amphetryon
2013-12-26, 11:10 AM
Most of us agree by now that Feats in 3.5 cover a fairly wide swath of power levels and functionality. I'd like to use this thread to compile a list of Feats that you would consider central to the concept of at least some Characters or archetypes in 3.5. This doesn't necessarily mean that the Feats listed here are the most powerful - or even the most powerful for a given archetype. They are merely the Feats that most clearly define the Character or archetype.

The first that springs to mind for this paradigm is Power Attack, which serves as a sort of defining feature for many a THW Fighter, Barbarian, and other melee brute. An argument can also be made for Knowledge Devotion qualifying here, particularly for a Tippy-style Cloistered Cleric/Factotum. Arguably, a particularly caster-focused Druid could build around Natural Spell, while a (Dread) Necromancer could conceivably center all of her abilities to feed off of Fell Drain.

What other Feats would you call central to a concept?

Forrestfire
2013-12-26, 11:13 AM
A lot of times, Arcane Thesis is one such feat. Picking a signature spell to focus on makes for some fun characters.

Greenish
2013-12-26, 11:45 AM
The various class-combining feats should qualify. Daring Outlaw, Swift Hunter, and Tashalatora, for example, are all at the core of their build.

hymer
2013-12-26, 11:54 AM
The various class-combining feats should qualify.

Beat me to it. I'll say the Ride-based feats instead, then.

FinnDarkblade
2013-12-26, 12:02 PM
Shadow Weave Magic can be pretty concept-defining.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-26, 02:03 PM
Leap attack.

Greenish
2013-12-26, 02:09 PM
Two-Weapon Fighting counts if PA does, arguably even more, since you'll be devoting much of, well, everything to make it work, and it has a distinct look to it.

Exalted (and Vile) feats are by their very nature character-defining, especially the Vows.

SinsI
2013-12-26, 02:22 PM
Combat Reflexes - with high Dexterity it allows to build the character around attacks of opportunity for everything.

Psyren
2013-12-26, 02:39 PM
PF has several of these too, like Dervish Dance, Whip Mastery, Shatter Defenses and Improved Snap Shot. There are also archetype-specific ones, like Planar Preservationist which turns your alchemist into a Pokemon master.

Hangwind
2013-12-26, 07:36 PM
One that I have built two different characters around is Leadership. If you can get your DM to agree beforehand,you can build an awsome character around that whole line of feats.

Vhaidara
2013-12-26, 07:41 PM
A lot of the Tactical Feats.

The special combat action feats (Improved whatever) and their chains (specifically Ranged Disarm, Pin, and Sunder). I'm actually doing this along with TWF, and my initiation is going to be
1. charge
2. use my hand crossbow to disarm my opponent
3. gut them like a fish with my sword

And if I ever get surrounded, I use a full attack to disarm every one of my enemies.

Also, Searing Spell/Piercing Cold along with Energy Substitution can let you build a blaster entirely around an element.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-26, 07:57 PM
Adaptable Flanker, Savage Grapple, and [Draconic] feats immediately come to mind.

Maginomicon
2013-12-26, 08:10 PM
Wedded to History and the associated Background feats (I get to be immortal, and I get cool flavor for it).

Divine Sorcery (adds a domain and granted power to a sorcerer's spells known)

Draconic Heritage (particularly Draconic Breath as it can make a sorcerer not need blasty spells at low level)

Arcane Focus and the associated arcane feats (arcane equivalent of psionic focus)

RolandDeschain
2013-12-26, 08:16 PM
Dragon Prophesier

OldTrees1
2013-12-26, 08:18 PM
Three Mountain or Boomerang Daze feats. (big status effect for a fighter but it locks in a weapon type)

Snowbluff
2013-12-26, 08:22 PM
Three Mountain or Boomerang Daze feats. (big status effect for a fighter but it locks in a weapon type)

I won a zinc saucier with Boomerang Daze. Fun times.

Bakkan
2013-12-27, 02:41 AM
Precocious Apprentice at very low levels.

Lightning Maces

Hand Crossbow Focus

Thurbane
2013-12-27, 05:12 AM
Vow of Poverty

*ducks*

Killer Angel
2013-12-27, 05:34 AM
For combat is easy, given that many feats come with prereq.
Examples:

dodge - mobility - spring attack

point blank shot - rapid shot - manyshot - etc.

Combat expertise - improved disarm - improved trip

if you say "spring attack", you'll have also the other two, and you'll obtain a precise combat style.

Psyren
2013-12-27, 09:32 AM
Oh how could I forget Stand Still?

Vow of Poverty

*ducks*

Get back here! *brandishes tomato*

limejuicepowder
2013-12-27, 10:08 AM
Toughness, because not even a bearded dwarf with 20 con can really be played as a tough guy until he gets those extra 3 hit points.

It's extremely class specific, but I think font of inspiration would count as build-defining.

Some might call it a feat tax, but darkstalker is up there since it, yah know, actually lets rogues and other sneaky characters do their job above level 5 or so.

Amphetryon
2013-12-27, 10:21 AM
For combat is easy, given that many feats come with prereq.
Examples:

dodge - mobility - spring attack

point blank shot - rapid shot - manyshot - etc.

Combat expertise - improved disarm - improved trip

if you say "spring attack", you'll have also the other two, and you'll obtain a precise combat style.

I see what you're saying, but I tend to think of the examples chosen as more 'building block' Feats than Character-centric, if that distinction makes any sense. You're not (usually) taking Dodge because you want the bonus that Dodge gives, but because you need it to access other Feats in the chain. By comparison, a Barbarian in a lower-powered campaign might very well take Power Attack and never pair it with the other parts of an ubercharger combo, instead putting it with various Rage-based Feats. Power Attack was selected in this instance on its own merits, rather than for the other Feats it opens up.

A.A.King
2013-12-27, 11:46 AM
I would say "Weapon Finesse" is pretty much centric to the Agile Fighter or the Melee Rogue kind of build.

Rebel7284
2013-12-27, 12:20 PM
Divine Metamagic

Killer Angel
2013-12-27, 03:54 PM
I see what you're saying, but I tend to think of the examples chosen as more 'building block' Feats than Character-centric, if that distinction makes any sense. You're not (usually) taking Dodge because you want the bonus that Dodge gives, but because you need it to access other Feats in the chain. By comparison, a Barbarian in a lower-powered campaign might very well take Power Attack and never pair it with the other parts of an ubercharger combo, instead putting it with various Rage-based Feats. Power Attack was selected in this instance on its own merits, rather than for the other Feats it opens up.

I see.
Then, as a stand alone feat, I could name Weapon Finesse, 'cause tells more about a character than the whole sheet.
It's the paradigm for a character more agile than strong, armed with light weapons, and evokes the image of a fighter fast as a snake.