PDA

View Full Version : Waterdeep [Sandbox 3.5] IC; thread 2

crimson77
2013-12-26, 11:35 AM
The group of adventurers had just watched a group of guards rushing down the street towards what they feared was an outbreak of zombies. After some deliberating they follow the guards towards the zombies.

The group moves quickly as to try to keep up with the guards who are running down streets. They slow at a market place and then start to tip over carts as peasants run down other alley ways in a panic. The guards seem to be trying to contain the area as you see several zombie creatures inside of an adjacent shoppe feeding on fallen peasants.

The guards make a ring of cart and tables around the shoppe and hunker down behind them as they await for reinforcements. You can see at least four of the zombie creatures moving within the shop. The guards seem rather confused as you notice that one of the zombies is a guard wandering within the shop as well.

Old thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16671504

OOC: Please post a link to your character sheet in your first post.

3drinks
2013-12-26, 12:42 PM
Posting here so you have my sheet link here in my sig.

Alright, so we have some action! Y'all fought these before, so what do we do first? Do we go headlong in? Do we drop back and set up an ambush readied to when the zombies try to leave the store? Up to y'all for the best option.

Seanfall
2013-12-26, 02:17 PM
If they're all trapped within the shop, wouldn't setting the building on fire get em?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=736935

ninthbit
2013-12-26, 03:55 PM
With the creatures contained and seeing no reason to stick his neck on the line, Smell's instead decides to look around the immediate area to see where they may have surfaced from. ”Looks like they can handle this. Maybe we look for the way down instead?”
[roll0] Spot (Assuming that spot is more appropriate since looking for something in a large area. Search would be +7 otherwise.)
Stats are in the sig, the portrait is hyperlinked to the sheet.

Quakes
2013-12-26, 04:05 PM
Oh gods, this is bad. Is there a sewer entrance in there? We have to prevent them from getting into the city.

Trent looks around at the scene to see if any civilians are in danger.

Looking for unwritten people in range of the creatures. If I see any, will cast magic missile at the creature closest to a civilian and yell to get their attention.

Magic missile
[roll0]

Character sheet link in signature block

crimson77
2013-12-26, 04:34 PM
Trent does not see any civilians who are in harms way. However, he cannot see into the building to know if anyone is trapped inside

crimson77
2013-12-26, 07:49 PM
The guards have the area sectioned off, Smell's Funny does not see any specific place where the creatures might have come from. The shop is between two other stores and has the appearance of a bakery but no one in your group has even been in this bakery. The shops on either side are a yarn and material store and a small metalwork place where nails and other metal building supplies are created. The guards have managed to make a barrier without a gap, however, the creatures are starting to come out of the bakery and towards the overturned tables can carts. A guard thrusts his spear toward a creature and the other guards cheer as he hits the zombie squarely in the chest. However, the creature continues to walk forward along the length of the spear as it does not seem to bother it. The guards excitement turns to horror as the creature gets closer and starts to swing its arms near the guards arms. He lets go of the spear. The guards screams only make the creatures focus in on him and the other three zombies start moving towards him.

3drinks
2013-12-26, 08:24 PM
"Alright that's enough of that! I can't stand by and watch them devour him!"

Derek brandishes his Urgrosh and moves into position to attack.

Move and ready Urgrosh to attack the first zombie that tries to move forward. Attack of Opportunity rolls if needed?

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (primary hit)
[roll3] (off-hand damage)
[roll4] (extra damage only if hit with both weapons)
Threat Confirms
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9] (I assume this bonus damage is also multiplied as it's untyped. Only get this if both weapon heads hit.)

crimson77
2013-12-26, 09:20 PM
Derek jumps over the barriers and moves towards the nearest threatening zombie. His attacks dance around the creature cutting it deeply but does to seem to harm it at all with his attack cutting flesh off of it.

Quakes
2013-12-26, 11:58 PM
With the ccreaturs out in the open now, Trent releases the spell from his finger tips.

magic missile in the head for 7

He yells at the guards and his new allies.
you have to go for the heads!

Seanfall
2013-12-27, 12:49 AM
Rurik laughs out loud as his dwarven kin jumps the Barrier. He joins in, running to the opposite side of the Zombies from the other Dwarf to flank them. "Bluid an' thunder!" He roared as he struck with his Waraxe, what he lacked in flourish he made up for in raw strength.

POWER ATTACK! Giving up 3 off my Attack Bonus for +3 to damage rolls
[roll0]

Damage if hit.
[roll1] dang forgot the +3...yeah I'm an idiot. so it's 7 Damage sorry. In the same post even. *bangs head against wall.*

crimson77
2013-12-27, 12:49 AM
Trent's magic missiles slam into the head of the creature with the spear through its chest and struggling with the guard. The creature falls to the ground in a heap of dead flesh.

Rurik's attack cuts deeply into the creature Derek is attacking severing one of its arms at the shoulder. However, the creature seems unaffected.

hoverfrog
2013-12-27, 05:44 AM
"Were you bitten, man?" Reyes shouts at the guard who has dropped his spear. "Rurik, aim for the head"

He begins to chant, drawing on the magic gifted to him as a servant of Wee Jas and reaches out to touch the dwarf.

Casting check [roll0] for Bull's Strength
Hit roll [roll1] to touch Rurik
Reyes Ridenhour (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=458594)
Male Human Cleric, Level 3, Init +0, HP 14/14, Speed 30
AC 16, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 2
Light mace +4 (1d6+2, x3)
Light crossbow (20) +2 (1d8, 19-20/×2)
Chain shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 12
Condition None
Caster check: roll 1d20 + [wis mod] + [PC LVL] and compare this against [DC] 10 + [Spell LVL]

crimson77
2013-12-27, 10:35 AM
The zombie creature facing Derek makes an attempt to rake him with his one remaining arm (Attack # 13; 1d6+1) and moves its head towards him to bite (attack # 13; 1d6+1).

A second creature moves towards Rurik and tries to wrap its arms around him in a grapple attempt while it moves it mouth to bite down on him (AoO; attack # 13; grappled +1d6+1 bite damage).

The guard zombie lumbers towards Reyes swinging its arms and trying to bite the hero (attack #14; x2 [two attacks]; 1d6+2) with both of its arms and tries to bite him as well (attack #14; 1d6+2).

ninthbit
2013-12-27, 01:42 PM
Smells shrugs his shoulders as he moves in to assist Reyes Knowing he will be of little use since he can't reach the creatures heads, he is left hoping that by slashing the tendeons in the knees they will drop them low enough to expose their necks.

[roll0] Main Attack (+2 if able to get into flanking)
[roll1] Std Damage
[roll2] Sneak (They aren't typical zombies, so maybe?)

[roll3] Off-hand Attack (+2 if able to get into flanking
[roll4] Damage
[roll5] Sneak

Well that seems about right. Leave for 6 months and the dice are still mean to me.

3drinks
2013-12-27, 04:08 PM
So I need to roll AC, right?
[roll0] to avoid being hit I need to beat a thirteen?

...Yeah, now I roll the nat twenty. <_>

3drinks
2013-12-27, 04:26 PM
Derek sees the opening in the zombies' attempted attack and takes a mighty swing to capitalize on it.

Atk Rolls
[roll0] (primary)
[roll1] (off-hand)
Damages
[roll2] (primary)
[roll3] (off-hand)
[roll4] (if both hit)

Derek snarkily replied after making his swing, "A ha! You left me an opening!" (I may or may not have played waaayyyyy too much Baldur's Gate II back in the day. >___>)

By that TWF fix, it allows me to make both a primary and off-handed attack on my AoO. The benefit of the heavy feat tax and rigid requirement, I guess. Heh.

crimson77
2013-12-27, 04:45 PM
[OOC: Derek had two attacks against him calling for two defense rolls].

Derek's cleaves into the creatures exposed midsection with is primary attack and then his off hand scores a lucky hit to the creatures head driving the sharpened blade into its eye. The creature goes limp and falls to the ground in a heap of flesh and blood.

3drinks
2013-12-27, 05:04 PM
Oh my bad, I saw the arm attack and missed the bite.
[roll0]
Damn, no AoO this time.

Seanfall
2013-12-28, 12:45 AM
Str mod at +4 thanks to Bull's Strength.
Attack of Opportunity against the Zombie for grappling.
[roll0] (still -3 because of Power Attack resets my next turn.)

Damage if successful
[roll1]

Grapple check if attack unsuccessful.
[roll2]

Defense roll on bite
[roll3]

hoverfrog
2013-12-28, 03:07 AM
Having delivered his magical assistance Reyes lurches back to try to get out of the zombie's reach. As it batters him he swings his mace at the dead guard's face before stepping back behind the barricade. "May the Dark Eyes Lady take you to her embrace."
Defence rolls
Defence roll #1 Arm [roll0] vs 14 [roll1]
Defence roll #2 Arm [roll2] vs 14 [roll3]
Defence roll #3 Bite [roll4] vs 14 [roll5]

I think that means I've taken 12 damage from two hits by the zombie's arms.

Attack rolls
Light mace [roll6] for [roll7]
Confirm critical (I can't remember if these "zombies" are subject to crits or not.) [roll8] for [roll9]

crimson77
2013-12-28, 04:28 AM
Rurik swings his axe at the approaching zombie trying to grab him. The axe slices into the creatures flesh. The zombie tries to grab him but he twists free from the creatures grasps and the zombie only bites the air near him.

Reyes is not so luckily and the creature's teeth manage to slice into his neck drawing blood as he pulls away. Reyes can feel tiny creatures trying to enter him but he cannot tell if it is real or imagined. [Fort Save DC 14] However, Reyes counters and smashes his mace into the creatures skull crushing it. The creature drops to the ground.

[OOC: monsters get a +1 (e.g., 11) base to attack so a tie favors the PCs; therefore, only the bite hit Reyes.]

Seanfall
2013-12-28, 05:05 AM
The creature repulsed Rurik decided to try and end it's unlife he gave a glance to the Wizard, he'd have to repay him he hoped that bite wasn't as serious as it looked. With another roar he gave a short jump and brought his Axe down aiming to slice the creature clean down the middle head and all.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage if hit.
[roll1]

hoverfrog
2013-12-28, 11:19 AM
Fort Save [roll0] DC 14

crimson77
2013-12-28, 04:44 PM
Rurik's axe cleaves straight through the creatures skull leaving a large portion of the creatures gray brain exposed. The group looks to each other noticing that they have killed all of the creatures in the fenced off perimeter the guards have set up.

Seanfall
2013-12-29, 12:42 AM
"oi that's th' lest ay them." He turns to the Wizard, "hey wizard, reyes ur ye okay? Ah saw ye gie bit...yoo arenae infected ur ye?" assuming he says he's fine. Rurik gets an idea when he sees the undead's grey matter. It's cut in half, the blade of a masterwork weapon always cuts cleanly. He bent down, wrapped his beard around his neck to cover his mouth and after making sure his hands were covered by his gloves he rooted around in the things rotted brain. He was looking for anything that wasn't a brain.

"Oi that's the last of them." --- "Hey Wizard, Reyes are you okay? I saw you get bit...you aren't infected are ya?"

Not sure what to roll...gonna go with Search.
[roll0]

Quakes
2013-12-29, 12:50 AM
Trent moves to the shaking guard that he saved. It's important that you not panic in the future. Blows to the body will do nothing, only destroying the head will work. And never leave one alive - it can spread easily. We need to block any pathways out of the sewers that they could use until we can find the source and destroy it. You should head to city hall and get records of the city's construction and inform any citizens that may have entrances in their homes or shops.

He heads back to his companions.

We should clear out the shop - it may have an entrance to the sewer that we can start from. Perhaps we can track them to their lair?

hoverfrog
2013-12-29, 04:35 AM
Reyes inspects the bite carefully for any parasites. "Nothing there," he replies but eats one of the goodberries anyway. Magical healing seems to stop the parasites from working. "Did anyone else get bitten?"

3drinks
2013-12-29, 02:54 PM
The Dwarf surveys the aftermath of the battle, relieved to see the undead dealt with. He turns to reply to his companions.

"No Reyes, I am unharmed."

"Yes, Trent, let us scour the shop for an entrance. We were successful this time, now we must press our attack onward to keep them from infecting the the rest of the city."

crimson77
2013-12-29, 08:40 PM
The group makes a straight line towards the enterence to the shop. A dead partially eaten body is lying on the floor covered in blood. The bakery seems to be a complete mess with food, ripped clothing, and blood covering the ground. The shoppe contains the enterence area with a small seating place with a counter to show the bread. You can see a back area where the bread is prepaired, heat from the rear of the shop tells you the fires continue to burn with a slight smell of burning bread.

hoverfrog
2013-12-30, 05:09 AM
Reyes takes a moment to confirm that the corpse won't reanimate again by smashing in its skull. He then calls out to the apparently empty room as he looks around, "Is there anyone hiding here? The zombies are dead. Come out now, we mean you no harm." Blood and gore drips from his mace and he wipes it on the clothes of the body whose head he's just crushed, a baker or a customer perhaps.

Heading into the back room he looks for a trap door or other entrance to the basement or cellar.

Coup de grace (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#coupdeGrace) Damage [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Diplomacy [roll2] <== Nice

crimson77
2013-12-30, 10:55 AM
The skull of the dead patron squishes under the strength of Reyes blow. Satisfied that the dead man will not come to live he moves towards the rear room where the bread is made. He sees a few thing of interest here, there is a back door to this establishment, which has been left open. Reyes also sees a store room and within the store room there is a large crate, which a man could fit within. The door to this crate has been opened and blood is scattered around the crate with a sign of a struggle. A quick explanation of what Reyes finds is that the baker found the crate in his store room unexpectedly, then curiosity got the better of him and he opened it only to find one of these half-dead creatures inside, which attacked him on the spot. Reyes also did not see anyone in baker's clothing among the dead out front.

[OOC: Everyone gets 400xp]

Quakes
2013-12-30, 11:03 AM
Well that's no good. Someone is definitely trying to infect the populace, and the baker is running around somewhere, possibly infected.

If Trent cannot find an entrance to the sewer, he will ask the team to go search for the missing baker, and start asking any civilians in the area if they've seen their friendly neighborhood pie-man.

crimson77
2013-12-30, 11:18 AM
There is no entrance to the sewer in the bakery.

hoverfrog
2013-12-30, 01:07 PM
"It's an efficient plan, deliver zombies to key areas where they can infect the population. If I wanted to cause maximum damage I'd place dozens of these creatures throughout the city at once." He looks at the crate for a label or delivery note. With luck this crate was delivered early.

"Does anyone know the city well? Once we've dealt with the baker we need to find where this crate came from. There may be others." He takes a moment to yell for the guards before following the others into the street. "Guard, the bakery is clear but the baker isn't in sight. We're going after him. Can you keep this area secure for our return."

I have no ranks in Knowledge (local) but why not give it a go anyway [roll0] DC10 for common knowledge only.

3drinks
2013-12-30, 01:15 PM
Derek gives a quick look around the bakery, still a bit cautious after the recent events. His caution eventually leads him to the backroom, with Reyes.

"Hmm. No backdoor to the sewer. Yet how did this crate get here? Was it planted here by...by some foul Necromancer? Where do we go next?"

"Wherever we need to go, one thing is for certain...this is definitely not coincidence."

crimson77
2013-12-30, 01:15 PM
Upon hearing that the coast was clear, the guards enter into the bakery. They nod to Reyes's request to keep the bakery secure and they start to rummage though things as if looking for clues but seem to miss the large crate in front of them as a potential clue.

3drinks
2013-12-30, 01:19 PM
Is that the same crate we already found that was opened by the baker?

Derek attempts to get the guards' attention to point them towards the crate.

"Hey! Hey you, over here!"

crimson77
2013-12-30, 01:41 PM
After Derek points out the crate to the guards (the same empty crate Reyes found) they start to understand and make sense of the situation similar to Reyes (and the rest of the party). A few of the guards start to drag out the corpse that Reyes mutilated in the shop. Trent ascertains that the guards are trying to burn the bodies so they do not come back to life again. The guards, however, do not make much of an attempt to hide the bodies or discretely burn them as they start to dump lamp fuel on the bodies in the courtyard of the market.

Seanfall
2013-12-30, 02:30 PM
"aur these guard's heids foo ay rocks ur somethin'?" Rurik asks as he watches them burn the bodies in plain view. "doesnae seem they're tay woriat abit incitin' a panic." Rurik cleans his hand and axe on any rags nearby. "alrecht lets gie started wi' th' search 'en, if thaur ur mair ay those crates it we need tae gie oan top ay it."

"Are these guard's heads full of rocks or something?" --- "Doesn't seem they're too worried about inciting a panic." -- "Alright lets get started with the search then, If there are more of those crates out we need to get on top of it."

hoverfrog
2013-12-30, 02:45 PM
"We need to find this baker before he bites anyone else. Provided these guards leave us any evidence we can examine it when we return." Reyes steps out of the back door and looks around for blood stains or other signs of passage. "Can either of you dwarves follow tracks?"

Survival is the usual tracking skill [roll0] but spot has the same roll. Both are unskilled.

3drinks
2013-12-30, 03:00 PM
"Tracks?" Derek asked curiously, following Reyes outside. "I'm afraid not, Reyes. I must've been sick the day our platoon learned this in the Militia."

In case I need to make them untrained to keep things moving along.
[roll0] (Survival)
[roll1] (Spot)
Oh that's cool. I do have ranks in Spot. Nice.

ninthbit
2013-12-30, 03:43 PM
Smells stays mostly quiet. After the ruckus in the courtyard finished he picked an apple off a near-by cart before going into the bakery. Following Reyes around, he tosses the apple core near a mutilated corpse and then pics up a small loaf of bread on the way to the back alley. His mouth full of bread, he mumbles something unintelligible.

[roll0] Spot

crimson77
2013-12-30, 08:40 PM
Derek sees a few droplets of blood on the ground leading away into the alleyway on the rear side of the bakery. The spots are very inconsistent and he realizes that he will lose the trail without having a tracker as the alleyway ends.

Still inside of the Bakery, Smells Funny notices some dark fur stuck between two of the boards on the box used to transport the zombie inside.

Seanfall
2013-12-31, 12:32 AM
Rurik nods, "I can gie it a try." he mirrors the other Dwarf bending down, axe and shield now sheathed and stowed as he studies the ground looking for any sign of passage by an undead thing.

"I can give it a try."

Survival
[roll0]

Spot
[roll1]

crimson77
2013-12-31, 12:40 AM
Rurik notices the same thing that Derek does but cannot track it beyond the alley.

Seanfall
2013-12-31, 12:46 AM
"oi! bluid. looks loch it goes intae 'at alley ower thaur." Rurik points it out, it looks like Derek found it first though.

"Oi! Blood looks like it goes into that alley over there."

ninthbit
2013-12-31, 02:14 AM
Finishing the wad of bread in his mouth, Smells tries to get the groups attention again. "Fur got stuck on this. Me bet the rats brought it here."

hoverfrog
2013-12-31, 06:56 AM
"That makes sense. What's the first thing a damned fool does when he gets a mysterious package?" Reyes looks around for a member of the public. If he sees someone he yells, "You there, did you see the baker? What direction did he go in?" Otherwise he picks a direction at random and heads off at a fast pace, listening for sounds of screaming or fighting.

Listen [roll0]

Seanfall
2013-12-31, 12:23 PM
Rurik decided to check out the alley, drawing his axe and shield he made his way down it alone if he had to. But he kept an eye out for anything moving or shambling his way.

Spot
[roll0]

crimson77
2013-12-31, 01:35 PM
Reyes rush off and some of the others follow behind his mad dash off towards the hopeful direction of the baker. As he rushes away he comes across a large box in an alleyway. It is closed and he can hear moaning inside.

Quakes
2013-12-31, 01:53 PM
Damn it, do these rats have a crate factory? Still, we should kill the one inside before someone innocent runs across it.

3drinks
2013-12-31, 02:58 PM
"I agree, Trent. We have this box in front of us and we know what is here...best to dispose of it quickly and efficiently before some helpless stooge lets his curiosity get him killed."

Seanfall
2013-12-31, 03:50 PM
"Oi...haw dae we ken where's it heed at 'en? if ye got some oil, Ah gae a flint an' steel we can jist sit it oan fire an' lit it burn." If they didn't go for that idea Rurik moved around behind it and readied a strike.

"Oi...how do we know where's it head at then? If you got some oil, I gave a flint and steel we can just set it on fire and let it burn."

Readying an attack.

ninthbit
2013-12-31, 07:56 PM
"Why not give to temple for study? It not broken. We can have a guard watch it till they come get it."

hoverfrog
2014-01-01, 03:02 AM
Reyes looks down at the goblin, surprised by his keen insight, "Good idea, Smells, good idea. Is there any clue where the crate came from?"

ninthbit
2014-01-01, 11:07 AM
Me just not wanting to get dirty chopping it up.

crimson77
2014-01-01, 04:40 PM
What is your plan for transporting it?

3drinks
2014-01-01, 04:57 PM
"So...should a couple of us carry this to a safe place? If so, I can lend my strength to this project. So who's going to help me lift?"

Derek positions himself by the crate, in a lifting position.

Seanfall
2014-01-02, 01:14 AM
Rurik groaned rolling his eyes, but he sheathed his axe and took up the side opposite Derek and made ready to lift the crate.

hoverfrog
2014-01-02, 05:09 AM
"Before we move it does anyone have any rope? If the box is weak I don't want it collapsing in our arms." Once someone winds a rope round the crate a few times Reyes moves to lift one of the corners. he may not be as strong as the dwarves but he can still help.

crimson77
2014-01-02, 10:25 AM
Reyes stops Derek and Rurik from lifting the crate; even with the tiny lifting that Derek did on the crate, one can see that the crate was not designed to be used more than temporary. Additionally, from the creature inside banging itself against the walls of the crate it has gotten weaker.

[OOC: who has rope?]

Quakes
2014-01-02, 11:25 AM
ooc: i totally should have rope - works with my original spell, haha. guess i lost it along the way. will buy some at a shop on the way!

I don't have any rope, but I can levitate the crate to the temple so we don't have to worry about it dropping or falling apart.

Trent uses his magic to create a floating disc under the crate and lift it about a foot off the ground. It proceeds to follow him as he leads them back to the temple.

crimson77
2014-01-02, 11:45 AM
The box glides on its magical lift of air and the group walks towards the temple. One can hear the creature hitting the side of the box with its body as it tries to escape from the box. The box is weak but it holds the creature as the group nears the temple. Two centuries come and meet the group at the door and escort them inside. The priestess nods to Trent and Reyes as they enter, "I see you have another live one?"

hoverfrog
2014-01-02, 12:17 PM
"Aye, I fear we'll see more of these as the days go on." Reyes then tells the priestess about the encounter at the bakery and the guard's reactions. He then explains how it appears that these crates are being left where they can cause maximum chaos and damage.

Seanfall
2014-01-02, 02:06 PM
Rurik keeps an eye on the box the entire time, axe and shield again out and ready. "This doesnae seem reit tae me...we're takin' a big risk. we shoods jist kill it an' be oan wi' it. we ken hoo tae kill them isnae 'at enaw?"

"This doesn't seem right to me...we're taking a big risk. We should just kill it and be on with it. We know how to kill them isn't that enough?"

Quakes
2014-01-02, 02:14 PM
It is not enough. They spread their affliction too easily and quickly. The priests must find a way to inoculate the populace, or cure those infected, or else we will face more and more of the creatures until we are overwhelmed.

crimson77
2014-01-02, 04:52 PM
The priestess nods to Trent's assessment, "I am concerned about these creatures and how quickly they are spreading. We hae isolated the creature from the head host; however, it will not implant itself into a nonhuman host. We are not sure if it can life apart from the host, it is now in a dormant or dead state." She shows the group the creature in a glass bubble. The creature slides around as if dead on the bottom of the glass bubble. The creature looks like a scorpion without pinchers but long whisky fingers protruding from short insect like arms. "I am glad you brought another, hopefully, we can try to determine how these creatures are infecting the hosts and get a better understanding of them in the process."

Quakes
2014-01-02, 06:46 PM
Trent slowly lowers the crate to the ground before letting the spell expire.Best of luck determining how to stop these creatures. We will return to the source and try to prevent any more from being created.

spells remaining
4 level 0
2 level 1
2 level 2

crimson77
2014-01-02, 08:38 PM
The priestess nods to Trent's statement and then waits for a moment to answer any other questions as acolytes hammer in some reinforcers to the box to prevent the creature from escaping.

hoverfrog
2014-01-03, 03:57 AM
"Karuth, can you offer us any insight into these creatures so far beyond what we have learned?" Reyes asks respectfully.

Karuth is a Jasidin title for priest

Seanfall
2014-01-03, 04:10 AM
"Yoo said they dornt infect non-humans, sae dwarfs loch me an' derek, an' goblins loch smells-funny ower thaur ur safe frae infection?" Rurik raises an eyebrow as he stares at the 'thing' in the glass bubble. "They be gantin wee buggers dornt they? certainly looks loch somethin' 'at crawled it ay th' nine hells."

"You said they don't infect non-humans, so Dwarfs like me and Derek, and Goblins like Smells-funny over there are safe from infection?" -- "They be ugly little buggers don't they? Certainly looks like something that crawled out of the nine hells."

crimson77
2014-01-03, 10:25 AM
"I am not sure about dwarves but they do not seem to implant themselves into other non-intelligent animals. The priests here have voted that we should not try to use slaves for experimentation. Reyes, we will hopefully know more as we examine this new host. We do believe you are correct that they must be struck in the head, this appears to kill them. We also believe these creatures are some sort of demon plague and not true undead. They are controlling the host through their implantation."

3drinks
2014-01-03, 01:35 PM
'Then, time is of the essence. We need to get back out there and stop this infestation!"

Derek blurted out, uncharacteristically out-spoken for a mercenary.

Quakes
2014-01-03, 01:42 PM
Agreed. And we'll keep our eyes peeled for suspicious crates along the way.

Trent will lead the party back to the house with the sewer entrance and start the exploration from there.

crimson77
2014-01-06, 10:48 AM
The group heads back towards where they found the crate. The town is becoming increasingly worried, they see men and women looking out of their upper floor windows and doors as they pass. Few citizens are out and about during the afternoon, typically the busiest time of day. The group continues to wander around looking for clues. Reyes notices a healer tying to bandage up a man covered in blood in a nearby herb shoppe.

hoverfrog
2014-01-07, 02:26 AM
"Herbalist, is that man alright? Was he bitten?" Reyes approaches calmly, "Or are people rioting already?"

Seanfall
2014-01-07, 05:07 AM
Rurik eyes the man, hand on a throwing axe. "Aye, whit caused his woonds, an' hae ye seen onie large wooden crates? micht swatch loch they're movin' frae th' inside. if ye dae, rin an' caa fur th' guard."

"Aye, what caused his wounds, and have ya seen any large wooden crates? Might look like they're moving from the inside. If ya do, run and call for the guard."

One day Rurik's gonna get hit the head so hard he'll speak proper english. Then the world will explode.

ninthbit
2014-01-07, 08:28 AM
Smells gives a confused look to Rurik, however instead of asking for clarification he keeps to himself. A city full of panicking humans doesn't make for a safe place to be a goblin. He fears they would just as likely string him up, just to play it safe. Instead, he decides to keep his hood over his head and remain unnoticed until they get underground.

crimson77
2014-01-07, 10:16 AM
As the group approaches they can see that the man is likely the baker they were looking for, he has a large bite on his arm which the herbalist is trying to fix up. The herbalist tells him he will likely be alright with proper care. However, the baker seems to be very red and sweat is pouring off of his forehead like he is ill.

Quakes
2014-01-07, 10:57 AM
This man needs more than just a bandage. The temple of Wee Jas is offering care right now, as they are studying a new disease that may have come into the city. He would be best cared for there, and we can escort him if he needs help getting there.

Diplomacy if needed
[roll0]

crimson77
2014-01-07, 11:14 AM
The healer's eyes narrow at Trent's comment, "I trust not this priestess nor the god they follow. You best be on your way and allow me to treat this patient as I am trained to do so."

hoverfrog
2014-01-07, 12:51 PM
"Don't be a fool," Reyes glares at the man, "This disease will kill unless it is treated and make the victim a monster. I have healing magics that can help him that are better than any of your leaves."

He begins to pray for the weakest of his healing magics before reaching out and touching the baker.

Cure minor wounds [roll0]

Seanfall
2014-01-07, 02:24 PM
"Yoo dornt kin miss, thes isnt' a normal sickness. there's thes hin' inside them 'at infects them. ance they turned th' only cure...." he closes his eyes and forces himself to say it. "The only cure is tae remove it's heed. ye need tae gettae France frae heem afair it overwhelms heem ur yoo'll be infected tay."

"You don't understand miss, this isnt' a normal sickness. There's this thing inside them that infects them. Once they turned the only cure...." ---- "The only cure is to remove it's head. You need to get away from him before it overwhelms him or you'll be infected too."

don't know why I'm bothering but...Diplomacy. If I get above a 5 I'll be surprised.
[roll0]

3drinks
2014-01-07, 03:02 PM
Derek steps up as well to survey the situation.

"What they say is true. You won't be able to heal this man's afflictions yourself! To keep him here is the same as condemning this man to death - maybe even for yourself too! I am not asking you, I am telling you! Get this man to the temple my colleague mentioned! It's for the sake of you, him, and the rest of this town's populace!"

Derek's rough tone showed his lack of rudimentary social skills at their finest. He was harsh and quite blunt - but the message got across nonetheless.

Diplomacy, I guess? Sure.

[roll0]

ninthbit
2014-01-07, 04:16 PM
If the conversation looks like it is not going anywhere AND the person giving aid gets distracted with the arguement. Smells will go in for a quick coup de grace/decap. His response would be "What? He a dead man already. Me just make it safer for everyone else and end his pain."

crimson77
2014-01-08, 12:10 AM
Reyes touches the man and his wound starts to heal and the skin turns to a scab and then into a scar. The man now appears to be not in pain but his seems to be still feeling ill. "See you imbecile, my healing herbs worked on him."

Quakes
2014-01-08, 12:18 AM
He still bears watching, and my friend's magic certainly facilitated whatever remedy you were employing.

hoverfrog
2014-01-08, 02:20 AM
"You idiot, your herbs only made this man worse, look how pale he is." Reyes undoes the bandage to get a closer look at the wound, is there something moving under his skin?

"This man needs to get to the church where he can be cared for by someone who at least knows what they are doing and not someone who peddles tea leaves as cures." He unclips his mace from his belt and stares down the herbalist.

crimson77
2014-01-08, 10:23 AM
The herbalist's eyes widen as Reyes makes a threatening gesture, "I healed this man for free with my graciousness so he need not pay me for services rendered. He is free to go with you but it is my recommendation that he head home and get some rest. He has had an eventful day and sitting around your boring temple all afternoon watching your kind do rituals will likely bore him to death...."

The man gets up and starts to wander out of the herbalist's shop, he is clearly delirious with the fever.

hoverfrog
2014-01-08, 11:02 AM
"If he turned on you it would be your fault," Reyes desires nothing more than to crush the fool who insults his beloved church but the baker looks on the point of death. To leave him now would be to lose a valuable resource. "If you find anyone else sick and bitten then send them to the church for treatment if you can't leave them alone." He heads after the victim and grabs him by the arm, "You must come with me. Can someone take this poor man's other arm?"

I want to get a good grip on him so he can't escape. If he turns I want to already have a grapple hold on him.

Quakes
2014-01-08, 11:14 AM
Trent does some quick glancing about the shop to see if this healer is in league with the ratmen, or is just stupid.

spot
[roll0]

Well sir, considering his home is cordoned off because of the multiple murders, he will probably be more comfortable in a bed at the church anyway. Thank you for your charity, but we'll take it from here.

crimson77
2014-01-08, 11:40 AM
Reyes grabs the man's arm and can lead him around but he is staggering clearly very sick with illness. As Reyes starts to walk with him the man starts to stumble having trouble even walking.

Quakes
2014-01-08, 12:51 PM
Can you boys carry him, or should I make another disk?

3drinks
2014-01-08, 01:37 PM
Derek steps up to take the man by the other arm to help Reyes.

"Here, let me help you guide him to the church."

Seanfall
2014-01-08, 01:53 PM
Rurik nods, and hefts the man up on his shoulders. "aye, but if th' starts tryin' tae nip at me i'll pit an end tae his sickness raither quickly."

"Aye, but if the starts trying to nip at me I'll put an end to his sickness rather quickly."

3drinks
2014-01-08, 02:01 PM
Derek nods in agreement with Rurik's assessment.

"Of course. If he's gonna bite us then all bets are off."

crimson77
2014-01-09, 10:18 AM
The man falls to the ground and does not rise; however, Reyes can see that he is still alive and breathing.

hoverfrog
2014-01-09, 12:55 PM
"Interesting. I wonder what happens if I keep him alive while the infection takes it's course." Reyes cures him again.

Cure Minor Wounds [roll0] DC10

crimson77
2014-01-09, 08:03 PM
The man rises slightly as Reyes casts the spell, Reyes appears to channel the goddess rather strongly with his spell. However, the sickness appears to continue to ravage the man. The baker coughs loudly and blood comes out of his mouth. He wipes it with his sleeve and stands up a little. "Take me back to the healer...I am far too weak to walk....

3drinks
2014-01-09, 09:16 PM
Derek looks at Reyes with an imperative tone.

"We need to get this man to the temple now, Reyes. We need to double time it. There's no time to lose!"

Seanfall
2014-01-09, 11:37 PM
Rurik has a hand on his weapon's haft. He looks from person to person unsure of what to do. "That's nae guid, yer boak wi' somethin' nae mortal means can heal, an' we're runnin' it ay time. lit us carry ye tae th' temple they can help ye thaur. but if ye gang back tae th' healer." Rurik shakes his head eyes closed. "Ya willnae make it an' yoo'll hurt others."

"That's no good, your sick with something no mortal means can heal, and we're running out of time. Let us carry you to the Temple they can help you there. But if you go back to the healer."

"Ya won't make it and you'll hurt others."

hoverfrog
2014-01-10, 02:30 AM
"We're taking you to the healer, hold on." Reyes grabs him again and marches towards the church as fast as the dwarves can manage.

crimson77
2014-01-10, 12:48 PM
The dwarves drag the poor dying man with them to the temple. They are greeted by several priests whom help take the man to a room where he can be properly taken care of and watched the progression of the illness.

ninthbit
2014-01-10, 02:17 PM
Growing impatient with the groups humanitarian efforts, Smells tries to get them back on point. "We waisting time trying to save one or two. The slow, dumb, and weak will die. The fast, smart, and strong will live. That how these things work. We need to go find the boss. He have a cure. Otherwise, what if he get bit? Boss always have a way out."

hoverfrog
2014-01-10, 04:05 PM
Reyes considers Smells' words carefully, "You misunderstand. We're not saving them. For each victim we find the church has an opportunity to experiment and discover more about this disease." He shrugs, "You're right though, we should be looking for the leader."

Seanfall
2014-01-11, 01:09 AM
Rurik shot Reyes a dark look, "That cheil is dyin' turnin' intae a soolless beest an' aw ye hae tae say is they can experiment oan heem? that's a braw hin' tae say especially fur a healer loch yerself." Rurik shook his head, taking a short breath to calm himself.

"That man is dying turning into a soulless beast and all you have to say is they can experiment on him? That's a cold thing to say especially for a healer like yourself."

3drinks
2014-01-11, 01:37 AM
Derek turns to Rurik after hearing his opinion of Reyes.

"Maybe so, Rurik. But if it will help to learn the secrets of this epidemic, isn't it worth it? If the man is going to die, why not use his body for research before then? I'm sure the man would be pleased to know he is helping to potentially save others that may be afflicted with the disease in the future. Reyes is right - anything that can help us learn about this is something we need to follow through with."

hoverfrog
2014-01-11, 02:53 AM
"Healer? You mistake me." He shakes his head, confused that the dwarf cares about this stranger at all, "The Dark-Eyed Lady is steward of the dead. These demon spawned creatures masquerading as true undead are an affront to her power. They are created to cause chaos and disrupt this city. The White Book details how a body should be cared for and the soul ushered to its proper destination. These monsters strip that from a person, they damage the proper order of the world, they use the dead as agents of chaos. I would sacrifice a thousand citizens to find an end to this demon infestation."

ninthbit
2014-01-15, 09:02 AM
Satisfied with Reyes’ answer, Smell’s takes his hand and starts tugging him like a small child would pull at his parent to get to see a wizard perform a show, or to get candy from a confectioner’s shop. “OK, OK, OK…. Us go get them then. We wasting time talking about all this.”

Real life keeping you down? I hope things are going ok and it’s just that you got a little busy.

hoverfrog
2014-01-15, 11:27 AM
"Thank you Smells, you're quite right. Is everyone ready?"

3drinks
2014-01-15, 04:55 PM
"I am ready. Let's do this!"

crimson77
2014-01-15, 06:52 PM
The group moves out into the city back to where they were previously. They can see a crowd gathered around a body in the street. The guards are smashing a now dead zombie creature. Most likely, a lucky strike from a guard to the creatures head killed it but the guards continue to smash it in the head. Looking around, the group notices a sewer pipe cover removed and the ground is still wet from the creature hauling itself from the depths of the sewers.

3drinks
2014-01-15, 07:25 PM
Derek turns to the others, motioning at the open sewer pipe.

"I think we just found our entry way...Now, who wanta to follow me down here?"

hoverfrog
2014-01-16, 02:38 AM
Reyes gets his lantern from his pack and lights the wick. "Lead on, Derek."

3drinks
2014-01-16, 03:44 AM
Derek walks up to the sewer pipe and inspects it for any sort of ladder or steps leading down. If he finds one, he takes a calm, cool deep breath and starts his decent into the sewers.

Climb if needed for the ladder that may/may not be there?

[roll0]

Grr. Stupid Armour check penalty for wearing Chain Mail. Haha.

Quakes
2014-01-16, 12:30 PM
Bollocks, they were not coordinated enough to climb out on their own before. Either they are getting smarter, or they are being directed better. Either way, this could get worse very quickly. Let's proceed.

Will drop a lighted stone into the sewer and look around before climbing down.
spot
[roll0]

Seanfall
2014-01-16, 01:12 PM
Rurik grumbled about the clerics reply but went along with them anyways. He likewise climbed down any ladder, dropping the last few feet. Shield ready in one hand axe in the other. Dwarves luckily possessed Darkvision, no need for any torches or lanterns. "Alrecht ye bastards f'rm up. i'll tak' th' leid, derek th' rearguard. lae ay ye gie in th' middle an' keep yer een open."

"Alright ya bastards form up. I'll take the lead, Derek the rearguard. The rest of ya get in the middle and keep your eyes open."

3drinks
2014-01-16, 01:59 PM
Derek nodded at Rurik's assessment.

"Good call. Now let's move out!"

Derek takes up position at the rear flank as the group starts their journey deeper into the Sewers of Waterdeep...

ninthbit
2014-01-16, 03:07 PM
Smells follows the group down into the sewers. Feeling more comfortable in this setting, he drops his hood and wanders ahead of the group to scout the area.

[roll0] Hide
[roll1] Move silent
[roll2] Spot
[roll3] Listen

3drinks
2014-01-16, 03:52 PM
Damn. Wow ninthbit, those are incredible rolls. Now watch, you "spent" your twenties on Spot and Listen so if we get into a fight you'll roll sevens and eights. Haha #irony.

crimson77
2014-01-16, 07:06 PM
Moving down into the sewers is not an easy task, the walls are slick with sewage, a greenish slime, and a watery-muddy filth. Smell's Funny is right at home in this squaller. The group follows the Goblin's lead down the pipes, hoping he is heading in the right direction. The goblin notices rat tracks in the slime as well as the shuffling of the zombie feet both heading in the same direction. He gets a sense that the rats might be working along side of these zombie creatures. Smells stops for a moment in the near darkness and signals to the others that something is near by. Smells can make out two ratmen leading a zombie through a nearby large room. The goblin is near an entrance to this large room.

Seanfall
2014-01-19, 01:52 AM
Rurik stops and raises his hand to signal the others to stop once he sees Smell's signal, he tries to creep forward slowly and mouths 'what did you find' to the Goblin.

Move silently *snrk* yeah right....
[roll0]

hoverfrog
2014-01-19, 07:04 AM
Reyes shutters the lantern and slips a bolt into his crossbow. He waits for the others to be ready before taking aim at the closest rat man.

Is Smells going to sneak forward for a backstab or shoot from a distance?

3drinks
2014-01-19, 12:49 PM
Derek arms himself with his Urgrosh, scanning the rear and the front for any non-friendly movement.

Quakes
2014-01-19, 01:34 PM
Trent activates his armor spell with a quiet word, ready for the upcoming battle.

spells remaining
0:4
1:1
2:2

crimson77
2014-01-20, 02:19 PM
The ratmen stop and glare in the direction of the loud sound of Rurik's armor and then the zombie starts to sniff the air pull in the direction of the party. The ratmen let the zombie go and it starts to shuffle towards the group of adventurers.

Quakes
2014-01-20, 02:27 PM
Trent whispers to the party.

Quickly, take out the rats! We don't want them going for reinforcements.

Trent Steps out from behind the wall and fires a quick shot at the foremost rat.

attack (fire arrow)
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]
fire
[roll2]

3drinks
2014-01-20, 03:03 PM
How close are they? Can I reach one at my speed of 20 ft? Otherwise Derek will heed Trent's words and move towards them, Urgrosh drawn, ready to end things quickly.

Seanfall
2014-01-20, 04:25 PM
Rurik rushes out from the side growling and swinging his Axe, an unintelligible warcry echoing in the tunnels.

Attack on the closest rat.
[roll0]

Damage on hit.
[roll1]

3drinks
2014-01-20, 04:37 PM
As Rurik did, I guess it would help to speed things up if I posted an attack roll if I can reach them, right? Attack roll on the nearest one.

[roll0] (primary)
[roll1] (off-hand)
[roll2] (primary dmg)
[roll3] (off-hand dmg)
[roll4] (bonus dmg if both heads hit)

crimson77
2014-01-20, 10:57 PM
One can rush the rat men but it is only a standard action attack. Also, I will always accept rolls and i will let you know if you are too far away to get them as attacks

hoverfrog
2014-01-21, 02:55 AM
Reyes looses his bolt at the rat man he had been aiming for. His shot goes wide and the bolt skitters off the wall harmlessly
Crossbow [roll0] not including -4 for shooting into combat. Hopefully I can get the shot off before they close.
Damage [roll1]
Critical 19-20 [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

ninthbit
2014-01-21, 08:54 AM
Smells pulls his weapons as he tries to maneuver around and avoid the zombies to get at the rats.

If he can get to them easily, he’ll draw his Cutlasses
Melee - Cutlass
[roll0] atk
[roll1] dmg
[roll2] sneak dmg if applicable

If they are too far for a quick strike (IE, can’t get to them in one move action), then he’ll pull two daggers and throw one.
Ranged - Dagger
Same atk roll as melee
[roll3] dmg

crimson77
2014-01-21, 01:01 PM
The goblin moves forward and slices one of the ratmen in the back instantly killing him. Reyes bolt clatters off of the wall making a pinging sound in the dimly lit sewers. Derek moves forward and swings at the zombie creature but misses. Rurik makes it to the ratmen and tries to hit the second fowl creature but misses.

The second ratman tries to claw twice [attack DC 13 (dmg 1d6+1); attack DC 13 (dmg 1d6+1)] and bite [attack DC 13 (dmg 1d4+1); if hit Fort save DC 12] Rurik.

The zombie tries to claw (attack #14; x2 [two attacks]; 1d6+2) and bite (attack #14; 1d6+2) at Derek.

3drinks
2014-01-21, 02:03 PM
So...defense roll then, yeah?
[roll0]

Sweet, I don't remember if that nat 20 on the defense roll is an AoO, or not. If so, I'll make another post for attack roll on it.

hoverfrog
2014-01-22, 03:05 AM
One benefit of having dwarves fighting on our side is I can shoot over their heads. Reyes smiles to himself as he reloads his crossbow for another shot. He targets the rat man again.

Light crossbow [roll0] <== Not sure if a 12 hits
Damage [roll1]
Crit on 19-20 [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

EDIT: Wrong order. :smallsigh:

Seanfall
2014-01-22, 01:51 PM
Rurik brought his shield up to block the Ratman's strike falling back a half-step. Even if the rat's strike found purchase he swung back out at it's offending limbs intent on severing them.

Defense
[roll0]

power attack! giving up 2 attack bonus for +2 Damage

Cut the arms off!
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

3drinks
2014-01-22, 03:09 PM
Just in case my nat twenty on the defense roll grants the AoO (since I don't remember if that was said in the OOC thread) let me make those rolls here. If that did not grant the AoO, then can we use this as my next attack roll?

[roll0] (primary)
[roll1] (off-hand)
(Per the TWF fix I am using, it does allow for both primary and off-hand on AoO, as opposed to just the one by the feat as-written)
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] (if both attacks hit, then add this bonus damage)

ninthbit
2014-01-23, 08:28 AM
Dropping the first rat, Smells steps to the other in quick order.

If a 5' step was not possible, then ignore atk2 and +2 to atk1's roll.

[roll0] atk1
[roll1] dmg1
[roll2] sneak dmg if applicable

[roll3] atk2
[roll4] dmg2
[roll5] sneak dmg if applicable

Quakes
2014-01-23, 11:30 AM
Trent looses another arrow at the zombie, seeing that the rats were in good hands, and looked around the room to see if the noise of combat had drawn any other denizens of the sewer.

attack
[roll0]
crit?
[roll1]
damage
[roll2]
crit?
[roll3]

Spot
[roll4]

crimson77
2014-01-24, 01:39 PM
Smell's Funny kill the second ratman before he can escape down the hallway. Trent fires his arrow at the creature and his arrow sticks directly in the chest of the creature. Derek's attack hits the creature hard in the head removing its jaw'; however, the creature continues to advance and tries to attack him again with both arms clawing at him (Attack dc 13 x2; 1d6+1 dmg each).

[OOC: Derek has to make 4 defense rolls: 2 for last round and 2 more for this round]

3drinks
2014-01-24, 01:57 PM
Oh shoot, my bad. Didn't know I needed to make that many.

Four defensive rolls.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

...Crap. That's not good.

ninthbit
2014-01-26, 01:32 AM
Knowing his small blades will be of little use to the zombies, Smells moves in to position to flank Derek's zombie and help position it for the smelly dwarf to land a solid blow.

Aid Another (+2 to Derek's next atk roll)
[roll[1d20+9[/roll] DC10
+2 for flanking included in roll

ninthbit
2014-01-26, 01:33 AM
Aid Another (+2 to Derek's next atk roll)
[roll0] DC10
+2 for flanking included in roll

hoverfrog
2014-01-26, 06:04 AM
Reyes steps up to the zombie and smashes it in the face with his mace.

Light mace [roll0] for [roll1]
Critical [roll2] for [roll3]

Are these pseudo zombies subject to crits?

crimson77
2014-01-27, 11:04 AM
Reyes's mace smashes the zombie in the head killing it and the dead corpse falls to the ground. The battle has been won but Derek is bleeding from several wounds.

[OOC: Derek still needs to roll damage against him]

3drinks
2014-01-27, 01:45 PM
Ooh. I see. Not used to the rolling damage versus me. Sorry.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Get this down ahead of time. Smells mentioned Aid Another for +2 to my next attack roll...is that for both heads, or just one? And flanking? So I would have +4? I'll leave this up here so we can add in the numbers if needed.

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6] (if both hits connect)

3drinks
2014-01-27, 01:46 PM
Ouch, I eat twelve. But the primary attack was a hit, so crit damage if needed?

[roll0]

crimson77
2014-01-27, 11:19 PM
Derek smashes his weapons into the dead zombie lying on the ground that Reyes killed seconds ago.

200 xp for everyone

hoverfrog
2014-01-28, 02:26 AM
"Do you need healing? I have only the weakest blessings of the Goddess remaining."

I can offer two cure minor wounds.

3drinks
2014-01-28, 02:39 AM
I could use some healing. I ate 12 damage though, so not sure what two HP worth of healing will do for me. But it's an improvement, right?

Nice to know I did a fantastic job killing a dead zombie. Lmao

ninthbit
2014-01-30, 12:13 PM
While the dwarf licks his wounds, Smells doesn't hesitate to loot the bodies. Taking care to avoid any teeth that may remain in the now deformed heads.

[roll0]Search

crimson77
2014-01-30, 06:22 PM
Smells looks over the dead zombie creatures and finds nothing of value. He does seem to find about 30 silver pieces on the ratmen along with what appears to be a map. However, the parchment is old and does not make sense to him; it has lines but they do not match up with anything of reference.

3drinks
2014-01-30, 07:54 PM
"What is it, Smells? Did you find anything of note?"

Derek said between breaths, wheezing from his recent wounds.

ninthbit
2014-01-31, 09:09 AM
The little thief rotates the page a few times trying to makes heads or tails of it, then hands it to his companion. "No clue. But must be important. They not draw sex pictures on it."

crimson77
2014-02-04, 10:19 AM
The goblin passes the note around trying to see if others can make sense of it.

Quakes
2014-02-04, 11:39 AM
Trent examines the note, trying to make some sense of it.

Decipher Script
[roll0]
unless some other skill is more relevant.

crimson77
2014-02-05, 10:36 AM
Trent's best estimate is that it is a parchment map outlining the place where the ratmen are to leave the zombie in the city. However, Trent cannot seem to decipher exactly where that location is from the crude map.

Quakes
2014-02-05, 01:30 PM
Hmmn, perhaps the places we've found the crates on on this map...or maybe we need to go find other places they were left.

Can Trent relate the two crates they found with anything on the map? Perhaps as map of the sewers instead of the city?

crimson77
2014-02-07, 10:32 AM
Trent studies the map, he does believe that it is a map of the sewers; however, it has lots of symbols and random things on it that he would need to decipher the script using some sort of code or spell to understand the map (or roll really high using a skill).

Quakes
2014-02-07, 11:34 AM
Trent casts comprehend languages and touches the map to decipher the symbols.

crimson77
2014-02-08, 06:26 PM
Trent is able to determine a few areas where he believes that the ratmen have taken the zombies up to the surface within the town. He can get a sense of the map of the sewers and can navigate the area for a little while.

ninthbit
2014-02-12, 10:18 AM
Following Trent's directions, Smells carefully leads the group to the next location of intrest.

[roll0] Hide
[roll1] Move silent (like a ghost :smallbiggrin:)
[roll2] Spot
[roll3] Listen

hoverfrog
2014-02-12, 11:58 AM
Reyes follows the goblin at a distance, not bothering to try to be quiet, it would slow everyone down too much. He keeps a lantern burning to light their way, not everyone can see in the dark.

3drinks
2014-02-12, 02:36 PM
"So, I guess we're moving on? Alright, I'll retake my position at the rear."

Derek moves back to cover the rearguard as the group continues searching for the ratmen/zombie dropoff points.

crimson77
2014-02-12, 08:26 PM
The goblin moves the group forward with the bright lantern reducing his ability to see in the darkness. The group moves towards the location that Trent identified on the map. The sewers are slick with filth and some in the group start to feel a little sick from the stench while others do not seemed bothered by it. The Trent silently stops the group and points up towards an opening in which seems to correspond to the map. Smell's Funny notices a rope which might have, at one time, been used to pull something or someone from down below to above.

OOC: Make con save DC =10 or throw up from the stench. If you have been in the sewers previously or are a goblin you don't need to make a save.

3drinks
2014-02-12, 10:17 PM
A Con check, or a Fort save? I'll do both in case you meant the other.

[roll0] Fort Save
[roll1] Con Check

hoverfrog
2014-02-13, 04:53 AM
"You get used to it," Reyes comments at the sight of the pale and queasy faces of the newcomers. "It makes fresh air all the sweeter though."

Quakes
2014-02-13, 11:01 AM
Hmmn - let's see if there's a crate up here, or a zombie to track down...
Either way, at least I know I'm reading the map right. Perhaps I can find the lair now...

ninthbit
2014-02-13, 11:59 AM
Unfazed by the fetid odors, gives the rope a test tug to make sure it's sound and secured. If intact, he'll climb up it.

OOC: Taking 10 on the climb for a 15

crimson77
2014-02-14, 12:00 AM
The goblin pulls himself up into the room above allowing the rope to trail behind him making it easier for those behind him to climb up. The goblin finds himself outside under a covered area with bushes hiding the light of the sewers below.

OOC: should have been a fortitude save...

3drinks
2014-02-14, 03:05 PM
Alright sweet, then I passed the save. Which is expected, since Derek has an 85% chance of passing a DC 10 Fort save (3 or better).

Derek looks at the rope for a minute. He scratches his head, then shrugs his shoulders.

"...You want me to climb that? I'm not sure how well I can do that in all this heavy armour. But to help y'all out, I will give it a shot."

Oh. Thought I had a worse mod. Must've been Swim I was confusing it with.
[roll0]

hoverfrog
2014-02-14, 03:12 PM
Reyes follows the others carefully up the rope.

Take 10 for a Climb check of 12

Quakes
2014-02-16, 12:40 PM
Seeing that he's the lightest (after smells) and grew up sailing, Trent has no problem squirreling up the rope after the others.

crimson77
2014-02-18, 12:29 AM
The four look to each other, Derek notices some foot prints in the mud that appear to be a shuffling walk heading back towards the main city streets.

3drinks
2014-02-18, 12:42 AM
Derek rubs his eyes, then shakes his head almost as if in disbelief. Sure he had to have expected it, but at the same time it was unexpected. Nonetheless he wastes no time in pointing out the muddy, shambling footsteps to his travelmates.

"Hey uh guys...look at this here. We can follow these to find out where they went, but we may be too late. We could walk ourselves right into a trap. Well, I guess we don't have another lead, so if this is all we've got to go off of......."

Derek let his words trail off, almost as if he didn't want to pursue them. Their recent skirmish with the ratmen in the sewers must be making Derek hesitate. He picks up his Urgrosh in his hands and points it in the direction of the footsteps though. Afterall, the show must go on, right? Derek can't let his own emotions get in the way of the city's well-being - at least, that wouldn't be very becoming of a man who styled himself as a mercenary.

Quakes
2014-02-19, 12:30 AM
They need to be dealt with before they infect any of the populace though. Each one we find narrows down our search for the source - and if we can catch them at it, perhaps we can track them back to the lair.

hoverfrog
2014-02-19, 08:11 AM
"While we deal with their traps the perpetrators may be laying more. Can that chicken scratch of a map show us there they came from?" Reyes is quite happy to smash zombie skulls in but would prefer to take them out at the source.

crimson77
2014-02-24, 10:07 AM
Reyes looks over the map and realizes that there is no logical starting place where the zombies might be coming from but it is likely deep within the sewers. This map only has a few places where trent believes the ratmen are placing the zombies around the city.

crimson77
2014-02-27, 11:35 AM
The group exchanges glances and tries to decide what the best course of action to take. They could return to the sewers and look for the source or they could go searching for the zombies let loose on the city by the ratmen.

Quakes
2014-02-27, 01:45 PM
I suggest that we try to catch the ratmen in the act of delivering a zombie crate, then try to follow them back to the source. Perhaps Smells could follow them while the rest of us make sure the zombie doesn't escape into the city.

hoverfrog
2014-02-27, 01:59 PM
"Agreed. Back down to the sewers then, unless you can work out where we can move above ground? It might be quicker that way." Reyes tops up his lantern with oil while Trent considers the best path to take.

ninthbit
2014-03-17, 02:29 PM
Smells gives a perplexed look to Trent, what in there short amount experience with each other would give him a clue that Smells had even the slightest hint of skill at tracking. "Me can try, but will probably just get us lost. Better mark our way so that don't happen." Climbing back down, they head off looking for trouble.

3drinks
2014-03-17, 02:41 PM
Wow, seeing this bumped was a blast from the past, haha. In a good way, of course.

"I too, agree that going deeper into the sewers is the better option. We can spend all day chasing crates above ground, but that's not the root of the problem. And we already found a couple of ratmen down here, so clearly we're headed in the right direction."

Derek scratches the back of his head, his hesitation from the recent skirmish still readily apparent.

"Still, we must go. For the longterm health and safety of this town, they are depending on us - let's not let them down."

crimson77
2014-03-17, 10:52 PM
OOC: What is your plan for going deeper into the sewers? Where are you trying to head?

Quakes
2014-03-17, 11:33 PM
ooc: Hoping to find a crate drop off and follow the rats back to their hideout, unless we can track them back from one - donno if anyone has that kind of skill set.

3drinks
2014-03-18, 01:23 AM
ooc: Isn't there a continuing tunnel through the sewer? I mean, we came down here, ran into ratmen and killed them...I doubt the city's sewer system is that small.

Do we have a better reason for staying above ground? the trail is largely cold either way, from my vantage point anyway.

hoverfrog
2014-03-18, 05:40 AM
"Let's just find a rat man and make him tell us where their leaders are and what their plan is." The prospect of soundly beating a rat man until he gives up the information they need appeals to Reyes.

crimson77
2014-03-18, 09:05 AM
OOC: Searching for a ratman...so tunnels or town?

hoverfrog
2014-03-18, 09:38 AM
They live in the tunnels, so tunnels seem like the best place to look for them.

crimson77
2014-03-18, 05:49 PM
The group returns down to the sewer system and starts to make their way down deeper following the path that seems to be the oldest parts. Smell's Funny, notices a few foot prints of ratmen in several areas and assertains that the group is traveling in the correct direction. Finally, he stops the group before they enter a larger room. He points into the dimly lit room and one can make out three ratmen sitting over a dead corpse and eating from it. They seem preoccupied with their kill and do not notice you standing in the doorway.

Quakes
2014-03-18, 11:12 PM
Reacting immediately, Trent casts a spell over the trio of ratmen, attempting to knock them out.

Spell puts 4HD of creatures to sleep.

crimson77
2014-03-19, 09:25 AM
OOC: I need a roll from Trent to overcome their Will Resistance (DC 13).

Quakes
2014-03-19, 09:33 AM
ooc: woops - sorry about that, not accustomed to this yet.

Against Will DC 13
[roll0]

edit: well that didn't work. go get them, boys!

3drinks
2014-03-19, 09:57 AM
Derek readies his Urgrosh, in case Trent's spell didn't work. He whispers, trying not to alert them.

"Just give me the signal. Although not sure how I can 'sneak' up on them in this heavy armour..."

hoverfrog
2014-03-19, 10:52 AM
Reyes looks in, trying to see if there are other exits. In a quite voice he answers Derek, "I can scare one. We don't want it to escape. Can you charge in and knock it down? I'll target the ugly one that's chewing on the leg bone. Ready? Everyone ready?" When everyone is prepared he begins his spell.

Caster check [roll0] vs DC11 to cast Cause Fear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/causeFear.htm). Will save [roll1] DC13 or be frightened for [roll2] rounds, otherwise merely shaken for 1 round

ninthbit
2014-03-19, 11:14 AM
I'll double post pending Trents rolls:

That sleep spell needs two more rolls. Each rat would have it's own save; so with the modified system, you need to "attack" each of their will defenses.

I hope no one minds, just trying to keep things moving:
Rat 1 saved (8 against Will DC 13)
Roll for Rat 2: [roll0] (swing and a miss)
Roll for Rat 3: [roll1] (at least I tried)

Well that sucked

3drinks
2014-03-19, 11:18 AM
"I can. And I will."

Derek raises his Urgrosh, making a dash to the ratman.

Charging to get the drop on them. Derek's AC is 15 until next round. By the wording on the [amped up] Two-Weapon Fighting, this allows me to make both my primary attack, and off-hand attack at the end of the charge.

[roll0] primary if hit then [roll1] damage.
[roll2] off-hand if hit [roll3] damage.
If both attacks strike true, then add [roll4] damage.

I don't know what the defense roll is for the ratmen so I can't add that into this post.

Argh. Might as well be fighting with one weapon haha! I don't think I've actually hit with both ends yet. Frustrating. Oh well six on the off-hand stroke is pretty good nonetheless.

ninthbit
2014-03-19, 11:20 AM
With the element of surprise mostly lost due to the hasty actions of the casters, Smell's just wades in with his cutlasses.

Attacking whoever is closest to a weapon or is otherwise a viable threat
Attack: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]
Sneak (doubt it's applicable now): [roll2]

crimson77
2014-04-02, 09:18 AM
Derek cuts down one of the creatures and Smell's moves to flank the other one and slices it deeply on the back severing its spine. The other creature backs away trying to run off.

Quakes
2014-04-02, 10:08 AM
other 2 saves vs sleep - sorry for the confusion

[roll0] vs DC 13
[roll1] vs DC 13

edit: 8, 7, and 6 - officially all failures. stupid dice.

crimson77
2014-04-03, 09:12 AM
The lone creature is shaken and it is turning to run away down the sewer pipes.

hoverfrog
2014-04-03, 10:04 AM
Reyes charges after the rat man and swings his mace at the creature's leg.

Light mace [roll0] for [roll1]
Confirm any critical [roll2] for [roll3]

I'm happy to break his leg if I hit but I don't want to inflict a mortal wound on him if possible.

3drinks
2014-04-03, 02:11 PM
"He's getting away! Don't let him escape!"

Like last time. Charge at the guy with the Urgrosh. Derek's AC is 15 until next round.

[roll0] if hit then [roll1] damage.
[roll2] off-hand if hit then [roll3] damage.
If both hit, then plus [roll4] damage.

Ha. I hit with both heads. Roll a pair of 2s on damage. Overall hit as hard as I would on a single attack. Oh dice roller how thou art a heartless b*tch. :P

crimson77
2014-04-09, 09:35 PM
Reyes knocks the scaven down and then Derek brings down the final set of blows directly into the rat man's head. The creature dies quickly without mercy.

Quakes
2014-04-09, 09:56 PM
Hmmn, that one's spine is cut, but he may be alive.

Trent checks out the one that may be able to talk still. If he can't..

Smells, think you can track them back to their lair?

crimson77
2014-04-09, 10:31 PM
Trent realizes that all the creatures are completely dead.

hoverfrog
2014-04-10, 04:39 AM
"Hmm, capturing them alive seems more difficult that I thought. They are truly scrawny opponents." He doesn't blame Derek, things happen in the heat of battle that you just have to accept. Instead he rifles the ratmen searching for coins or a map, something that would make the attack worthwhile. When done he dumps the bodies in the closest water where they'll at least remain more or less hidden.

"Shall we look for more or call it a day?"

crimson77
2014-04-10, 09:01 AM
Reyes ruffles through the scaven's belongings and finds a few copper, what appears to be scaven pornography sketch drawn on a piece of leather, two bone knives, a brass key (very tarnished), and a arrowhead.

hoverfrog
2014-04-10, 10:53 AM
Reyes hands the key and the porn to Smells Funny and pockets the copper, he'd give it to a beggar later in the day if he remembers. He drops the arrow head and the knives on the floor.

3drinks
2014-04-10, 01:26 PM
Derek stops Reyes for a moment.

"Waitaminute. The arrowhead and the knives, why would this ratman have them on him? Perhaps we might need them to access something, or maybe the arrowhead glows in the presence of these abominations. I don't know, and while I am aware you, Trent, and...the goblin over there...have much more experience fighting these cretins than I do, something is just telling me it might be a good idea to hang on to them. At least until we can learn more about the cretins, or get the items analyzed further."

Derek picks up the knives and the arrowheads (unless the others have a better reason to leave them discarded).

crimson77
2014-04-14, 01:34 PM
[OOC: Group members each receive 150 xp for encounter]

The group, satisfied they had gotten what they needed continued to follow Smells Funny's lead deeper into the sewers as he worked on tracking the ratmen into the sewer system. The group has such high hopes of finding out what is going on. Many questions fill their minds, why are the ratmen doing this?, what do they hope to gain?, why do these creatures not seem to attack them but only humans?

Smells Funny stops the group in one of the tunnels. The stone here is old, from the original city construction and this passageway appers to not be originally sewer but street passageway that sunk down as the city grew on top of it. It has become apart of the sewersystem out of it placement and poor luck on the part of the stoneway. It takes a few moments to realize what the goblin is point towards. However, it becomes apparent that two scaven are guarding a doorway. The scaven look larger and more musclear than previous ones that the group has fought. Smells whispers that they are wearing armor, which will make them even more formidable in battle.

Reyes has a preminition that something is important here. He feels as if this area is speaking to him, calling him towards what these creatures are guarding. He believes the answer might be behind the door they are guarding.

EDIT: Scaven Warriors AC=18

Quakes
2014-04-14, 03:31 PM
Well this is more like it. Trent orients himself to the surface, trying to guess how best to come back here if they need to flee for any reason.

We won't be so lucky as we were fighting those smaller ones. We need a plan. And we certainly don't want to alert whatever or whoever is behind that door that we're here. If only we could draw them over here.

hoverfrog
2014-04-15, 03:59 AM
"First, injuries." Reyes looks over the others for wounds. He has two goodberries but perhaps the goddess would grant him favour in their quest. "I have two scrolls that can enhance the weapons that we carry, one to summon a skeleton to fight for us, and one that can bestow the blessings of the goddess upon us."

"There is something beyond that door. If time permitted I would say we must rest before continuing but each moment gives these demons more power in our city. I suggest we concentrate fire upon one of them in the hope that they come out to attack us. If one of us could draw them away while the rest get behind them we could catch them in a pincer and squeeze them."

What kind of distance can we get between us and the rat men so we can shoot at them? A couple of rounds would be good. What kind of cover is available? Can we get behind them at all?

I have my second level domain spell and two 0th level spells remaining. Looking over the divine caster house rules I should be able to cast one more spell at 1st or 2nd level (with luck) but I think we're all running low.

3drinks
2014-04-15, 09:14 AM
Derek looked around, admittedly nervously at Reyes' suggestion. He shakes the thought from his head and nods with resolve. He knows what needs to be done.

"Someone to draw his fire on one side while the others get him from behind, huh? Alright. I guess I am the best suited for such a task."

Derek lifts his Urgrosh and points down the corridor.

"So. When do we move out?"

crimson77
2014-04-15, 10:04 AM
What kind of distance can we get between us and the rat men so we can shoot at them? A couple of rounds would be good. What kind of cover is available? Can we get behind them at all?
The tunnel is long and narrow like an old castle passageway. There is lots of cover around in nooks, crannies, and other areas of the tunnel that have decayed. You might get a few arrows fired off before they arrive, if they run straight for you. There are passageways that veer off in many different directions. You could try circling around and hoping that you find your way to the other side without running into a roaming group of scaven.

Quakes
2014-04-22, 11:00 AM
We should probably draw them down this corridor - wouldn't do to run into reinforcements.

crimson77
2014-04-22, 10:53 PM
OOC: Your group has the initiative...

Quakes
2014-04-23, 02:32 PM
Not wanting to prolong the delay, Trent motions down the hallway at Smells and puts his finger to his lips to indicate quiet. tap the wall twice when you're in position.

Keeping his voice low, Trent casts a quick spell on Smells. The goblin suddenly disappears, hopefully off to get in flanking position to the hulking ratmen in the corridor.

casting invis on smells

hoverfrog
2014-04-25, 07:18 AM
Reyes devours the two remaining goodberries while he waits for Smells to get into position.

crimson77
2014-04-25, 10:21 AM
Keeping his voice low, Trent casts a quick spell on Smells. The goblin suddenly disappears, hopefully off to get in flanking position to the hulking ratmen in the corridor.

casting invis on smells
You might want to consider casting invisibility on Derek. I have messaged Ninthbit (on RPOL.net) but I have not heard anything from him. I am not sure if he is taking a break from the game (or gaming in general). I will keep smells funny in the game as an NPC turned PC turned temporary-NPC. However, I would prefer not to have him remain in the background a little more.

Quakes
2014-04-25, 03:44 PM
edit: cast invis on Derek (unless Smells pops in)

Go for it!

crimson77
2014-04-26, 05:53 PM
OOC: Your move Derek!

3drinks
2014-04-28, 09:01 AM
Derek breathes in deeply, psyching himself up for the task. He recalls he was never much good at stealthing about - but for the sake of the people, he would give it his all. Those people deserved to find a cure to this affliction. Derek spoke in a low tone to his comrades.

"Alright. Here I go. I'll tap the wall a two times to signal I am in position."

Derek moves down the hallway, slinking behind the various nooks and crannies on the way. Once he gets behind a guy, he reaches his hand out and taps the wall two times to signal Reyes & Trent.

"I hope this works." Derek thought to himself.

crimson77
2014-04-30, 07:36 PM
Derek gets himself in to position. Initially he worried the scaven had noticed him because their ears pricked up when he walked by but they did not seem to notice him.

Quakes
2014-05-01, 11:20 AM
Trent motions for Reyes to stay hidden until he can surprise the scaven that he thinks will soon be coming towards him. Hoping that Derek is quite to react, Trent steps into the open and fires upon the closer of the two hulking ratmen. His hands are steady, despite being inwardly nervous. He's ready to beat a hasty retreat if his friends aren't able to take down the rats before they overwhelm him.

[roll0]
damage
[roll1]

crimson77
2014-05-01, 06:01 PM
Trent's arrow flies above the creatures heads and clatters against the wall above Derek's head almost surprising him. The creatures become aroused.

hoverfrog
2014-05-02, 07:03 AM
Reyes readies his crossbow. He looks at Trent as his own arrow flies, ready for a nod to proceed. Once he has it he steps round the corner and looses.

Light Crossbow [roll0] for [roll1]
Critical 19-20 [roll2] for [roll3]

3drinks
2014-05-02, 10:39 AM
"I guess that's the signal..." Derek lets out a battle cry just before he lifts his Urgrosh up to slash the Scaven's backside.

"It's go time!"

[roll0] if hit then [roll1]
[roll2] if hit then [roll3]
If both hit then add [roll4]
Crit confirm [roll5] [roll6] crit damage [roll7], [roll8], [roll9]

crimson77
2014-05-20, 09:35 AM
Reyes's bolt flies and bounces off the wall nearly hitting the creatures. Derek turns and makes is furry of attacks but only one attack appears to have hit the creature. The creatures turn and start attacking Derek [Attack DC 16 (x4); dmg = 1d6+3] with their claws trying to rip at his flesh.

[OOC: derek has four attacks to defend against]

3drinks
2014-05-21, 10:55 PM
Derek was less sure of his attacks than his confidence let on. "Oh boy...this is gonna hurt. I hope Trent and Reyes can get down here in time." Derek takes a deep breath, bracing for impact. "A mercenary has gotta do what a mercenary has gotta do. How else do I earn my payment?" "Come on you scaven creatures!"

Sorry, thread got unsubscribed somehow. Now, defensive rolls (x4).

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]
If any hit then [roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7] damage.

So it looks like one hit? Unless any have the Giant type (I'd have an extra +4 AC).

hoverfrog
2014-05-22, 07:46 AM
Reyes reaches for the scroll at his belt and starts to speak the arcane phrases clearly and loudly. In moments the magic coalesces. As the scroll crumbles to dust a skeleton begins to form beside the skaven guards.

Summon Undead I (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/summon-undead-i--3780/) is a full round action so it will appear and be ready to attack in the next round just before my action.

Damage reduction should really make a difference.

crimson77
2014-05-24, 08:06 PM
OOC: Waiting for Trent

Quakes
2014-05-25, 09:15 PM
Trent fires off another arrow, trying to draw them off of Derek.

attack[roll0]
dmg [roll1]

crimson77
2014-06-24, 07:31 PM
I think it is time to close this game. Thanks for all who have played.

Please post any comments in OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?242899-Waterdeep-Sandbox-OOC&p=17677630#post17677630)