PDA

View Full Version : Would a DM allow...

zeek0
2013-12-26, 12:30 PM
I am currently planning out a Swiftblade character. One of the requirements for the PrC is that the character be proficient in at least one martial weapon. I am starting out my character as a human wizard.

Would a typical DM allow me to substitute an exotic weapon proficiency feat in lieu of a martial weapon proficiency feat? Are there things that I am not aware of?

Thanks!

Zman
2013-12-26, 12:34 PM
Could just go Combat Wizard and pick up a Martial with your Bonus Feat at 1st Level.

Or, you could pick the Bastard Sword as your Exotic, now you are proficient with both an Exotic Weapon, and a Martial Weapon.

FinnDarkblade
2013-12-26, 12:35 PM
"Would a DM allow x?" is a bit of an impossible question as it will vary from DM to DM. I can say though that if I were the DM I wouldn't have a problem with it.

DeusMortuusEst
2013-12-26, 12:35 PM
Elves get proficiencies with some martial weapons IIRC. Play an elf :smallwink:

Slipperychicken
2013-12-26, 12:36 PM
That sounds fine to me. You're still spending a feat, and exotic weapons tend not to be that much stronger.

Just ask your actual, real life GM.

Kerilstrasz
2013-12-26, 05:18 PM
I;d allow it...
your DM maybe not.. so propose this to him..
you r human wizard with no martial wpn proff at the moment.. roleplay that during downtime, your fellow party fighter (or another class with martial weapon proficiency) teaches you how to use a martial weapon so after, lets say, 2-4 levels(or a year of training in game) you get the proficiency for that weapon.
Don't abuse it though... make it a common PhB weapon.. the most innocent it seems, the most likely your Dm will allow it.
Make him understand that you don't want to abuse any rules or use any cheesy houserule.. you just ask him to "look the other way" while you roleplaying your entry into that PrC.

Stux
2013-12-26, 05:37 PM
Could just go Combat Wizard and pick up a Martial with your Bonus Feat at 1st Level.

Or, you could pick the Bastard Sword as your Exotic, now you are proficient with both an Exotic Weapon, and a Martial Weapon.

I know this is a contentious point with some people, but Bastard Sword is not a martial weapon. Having proficiency in it does not mean you have proficiency in a martial weapon. You may wield it two-handed if you have proficiency with all martial weapons, but that is different to it being a martial weapon.

Chronos
2013-12-26, 07:11 PM
Quoth Zman:

Can't, actually, since the Combat Wizard variant just lets you choose from the fighter's bonus feat list, and Martial Weapon Proficiency isn't a fighter bonus feat (no reason it would be, since a fighter is already proficient with all of them).

To the original question, though, I'd allow it. Fluff-wise, the requirement is "must be able to use a decent weapon competently", and since exotic weapons are generally even better than martials, it'd match up.

jedipotter
2013-12-26, 08:12 PM
Would a typical DM allow me to substitute an exotic weapon proficiency feat in lieu of a martial weapon proficiency feat? Are there things that I am not aware of?

Maybe. As a DM I would not. If you wanted to be a wizard swiftblade, I'd have you get that martial proficiency somehow, but would not let you substitute an exotic one for it.

But that is just me.

Dalebert
2013-12-26, 10:13 PM
Elves get proficiencies with some martial weapons IIRC. Play an elf :smallwink:

Doesn't this resolve the problem? And aren't there other races that get proficiencies with martial weapons? If you're playing a human to get a bonus feat, then you're immediately having to spend it to try (and possibly still fail) to qualify for the PrC. Playing a race that gets martial weapon profs as a bonus would be at least equivalent, it seems, plus you might get some fun racial abilities.

Knaight
2013-12-26, 10:18 PM
I would, and I suspect most DMs would. That said, check with yours; they might have a reason not to.

Urpriest
2013-12-26, 10:38 PM
I'd allow it. My usual test for houserules is whether they have bad implications in the wider system. This one is pretty innocuous.

hicegetraenk
2013-12-27, 06:05 AM
I usually allow my players to swap certain feats or abilities to help them create the character they want to play and the choice actually adds to their fluff and is not solely made to help them optimize.
The feats / abilities should be at about the same level of power though.

Andezzar
2013-12-27, 06:29 AM
You cannot take EWP at level 1. It requires you to have BAB 1 or more. Wizards don't get that until level 2.

As several people already said a human can take the appropriate feat as his bonus feat for being human. The Bonus feat from being Martial Wizard 1 is irrelevant.

If your character comes from certain regions of Faerun, take the Militia Feat instead. You become proficient with all martial weapons.

Interesting spelling for Heißgetränk