PDA

View Full Version : Dimensional Legionnaire PrC (PEACH)

asnys
2013-12-26, 01:31 PM
Change Log:

1/2/14: Moved charging jump to third level and moved teleport penetration to second level. Removed pouncing jump ability (merged with charging jump). Added teleport jamming and unexpected jump abilities.

12/29/13: Removed feat prerequisites and reduced BAB prerequisite to +12. Added clarifying language to charging jump and double jump. Added pouncing jump ability. Removed reflex save from dimension dodge.

LEGIONNAIRE'S PLATE
The Legionnaire's Plate were crafted by the wizard Theringius five millennia ago for his elite order of guards. They are suits of +3 heavy fortification full plate, dull gray in color, with several bands of black adamantine metal inscribed with protective runes covering the chest and arms. Their wearers may dimension jump 5/day as a standard action. This function as dimension door as cast by a 15th level caster except that they may act after dimension jumping if they still have remaining actions, and the effect has a range of 250'. Activation of this ability is by thought.
In addition, all suits of Legionnaire's Plate are intelligent, inhabited by personalities dedicated to obeying the will of Theringius; since he's (presumed) dead now, most are willing to go along with whatever their wearer wants to do. The precise abilities of the intelligences inhabiting a suit of Legionnaire's Plate vary, but a typical example is:

Intelligence 16, Wisdom 16, Charisma 10, Ego 19.
Communicates telepathically with its wearer. Understands and can read the High Tongue, the Dark Tongue, Aklo, and R'lyehian.
Lawful Neutral alignment. Unlike most aligned items, they may be used by those of conflicting alignments without difficulty.
Darkvision 60'.
10 ranks in Listen and Spot.
Can use cure moderate wounds (2d8+3) on its wearer 3/day.

There are legends of sets of Legionnaire's Plate whose intelligences are powerful spellcasters themselves.

Strong abjuration; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, dimension door, limited wish or miracle; Price: 138,550 gp

DIMENSIONAL LEGIONNAIRE

“No guard or wall can save a man from someone who does not need to pass them.” -Tacticus, Legionnaire First Class

The Legionnaires were once an elite order of warriors in the service of the wizard Theringius. Granted powerful dimension-hopping abilities by their armor, they developed a unique style of combat based around tactical teleportation. They served as Theringius's bodyguards, agents, and generals in the chaotic period after the fall of the Third State, when the orbital ring crashed to earth, and are thought to have died to a man when Theringius's enemies overwhelmed his keep.
Some of the Legionnaire's Plate survived, however, even if their wearers did not, and have been periodically rediscovered in the millennia since that time. The intelligences within the armor remember the tricks and tactics of their users, and are usually willing to teach their discoverers.

BECOMING A DIMENSIONAL LEGIONNAIRE
“Girl, I was forged by Theringius himself, when the ashes of the Third State were not yet cool. Let's see if you can impress me.” -Operating Intelligence Atraxos

Dimensional Legionnaires are inevitably martial types of one sort or another. Fighters are most common, but marshals, paladins, and even rogues and barbarians who gain heavy armor proficiency are not impossible. The common feature is that they find or otherwise acquire a set of Legionnaire's Plate, befriend its inhabiting intelligence, and learn the techniques they are able to teach.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
BAB: +12
Proficiency: Must be proficient with heavy armor
Special: Must own a Legionnaire's Plate and be instructed by its operating intelligence or another Dimensional Legionnaire

Class Skills
The Dimensional Legionnaire's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Profession (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skills Points at Each Level: 2 + int

Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Range Extension, Fast Jump, Dimension Jump 6/day

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Charging Jump, Dimension Jump 7/day

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Teleport Penetration, Pouncing Jump, Dimension Jump 8/day

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Dimension Dodge, Dimension Jump 9/day

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Double Jump, Dimension Jump 10/day[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: Dimensional Legionnaires gain no new weapon or armor proficiencies.
Fast Jump (Sp): You may use the dimension jump ability of your Legionnaire's Plate as a swift action.
Dimension Jump (Sp): As you better understand the function of your Legionnaire's Plate and become more adept at using it, you gain one additional use of dimension jump per day per Dimensional Legionnaire level.
Range Extension: The range of your dimension jump ability increases by 50' for every level of Dimensional Legionnaire you have.
Teleport Penetration: At 2nd level, when using dimension jump you gain spell resistance equal to 15 + your Dimensional Legionnaire level + your Intelligence modifier against spells that block or divert your teleportation.
Unexpected Jump (Sp): At 2nd level, you can emerge form a dimension jump and attack before an opponent realizes you are there. If you make a dimension jump and then attack, your target is treated as flat-footed.
Charging Jump (Sp): At 3rd level, you may dimension jump into the air and use the momentum of your fall to add to your attack. If you dimension jump to a point 10' above the ground, after you fall as a free action you are treated as if you had made a charge except that you can still make a full attack. You may combine this with an unexpected jump.
Dimension Dodge (Sp): At 4th level, once per round, you may use one of your dimension jump abilities as an immediate action in an attempt to avoid an attack or a spell that is a ray, touch attack, or has an area of effect.
Double Jump (Sp): At 5th level you may use your dimension jump ability twice per round. This is an exception to the rule that you may only make one swift action per round.

PLAYING A DIMENSIONAL LEGIONNAIRE
“The essence of strategy is to be where your opponent does not want you to be.” -Tacticus, Legionnaire First Class

You are a master of a powerful combat style of a bygone age, aided by an artificial intelligence dating to that ancient time.
Combat: It's all about mobility. You can hit and move before they hit back, jump past defenses to get at vulnerable casters, and, if worst comes to worst, get away faster than anyone can follow.
Advancement: A 5th-level Dimensional Legionnaire will be ready to take epic prestige classes, such as Guardian Paramount or Legendary Dreadnought.
Resources: Although many Dimensional Legionnaires are wanderers, owning only what they can carry, some are found as bodyguards to powerful leaders or are themselves powerful leaders, and able to draw in the resources of that organization.

DIMENSIONAL LEGIONNAIRES IN THE WORLD
“There were three hundred of us, plus a wizard, and one of him. We grunts figured the old man had brought us to keep him from running. Well, he didn't run. We didn't even see him until he was standing next to the colonel with a blade to his throat, and the star-robes was bleeding out next to him.” -Corporal Erik “Fight Another Day” Johansonne

Dimensional Legionnaires are incredibly-skilled warriors possessing strange powers, and tend to be viewed with respect and not a small amount of fear.
Daily Life: Dimensional Legionnaires are warriors. When they aren't fighting, they're preparing for the next fight – training, organizing, gathering supplies and men; the life of a Legionnaire is rarely still.
Notables: A man wearing Legionnaire's Plate has recently been seen attending the chairman of the State Council of the Free City of Gresten – and rumor says he claims to be one of Theringius's own guards, thrown through time to the present. Needless to say, the Fourth State is most anxious to learn the truth of this; a messy and bloody race is currently underway between various State factions to reach him first and tear whatever secrets he holds from him.
Organizations: There are no longer any formal organizations of Dimensional Legionnaires, but they are in high demand from any group that needs people skilled at dealing violence.

NPC Reaction
NPCs react to Dimensional Legionnaires much as they would to any warrior with magical powers: other warriors respect them, peasants and noncombatants try to stay out of their way, and the rich and powerful want to hire them.

DIMENSIONAL LEGIONNAIRES IN THE GAME
Dimensional Legionnaires gain powerful tactical teleportation capabilities to augment their natural combat prowess.
Adaptation: Dimensional Legionnaire could easily be adapted to use other sources of dimension door, such as cape of the mountebank or spellcasting or psionics. If they derive their teleportation from spellcasting or psionics, their additional dimension jump uses should be replaced with partial caster/manifester advancement.
Encounters: Dimensional Legionnaires are most often found as someone else's second-in-command or bodyguard.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL 17: Gareth the Red was once a lusty young barbarian lad, scavenging the Steel Waste with his comrades for metals for the tribe's blacksmith. He came across the body of a valiant warrior who had been slain in some distant battle and, to his interest, saw that not only was his armor still intact and uncorroded, but it was quite a bit better than his own leathers. So he put it on.
Unfortunately for him, Gareth was utterly unable to live up to the expectations of the voice that started yelling in his head. He was but a pup yet, not the elite fighting machine the intelligence was accustomed to. Eventually, the armor's operating intelligence grew weary of putting up with him and took over.
By this point, the original Gareth the Red has been cowed into obedience and no longer really puts up a fight. The armor's operating intelligence has honed him into a magnificent killer, and sees no point in stopping now. His usual tactic is to make a charging jump into a group of enemies, either attack the caster or make a Whirlwind attack, use Stand Still, Knockdown, and Mage Slayer to survive the counterattack, then attack again and jump out.

Gareth the Red
Chaotic Neutral/Male/Human/Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian-2, Fighter-13, Dimensional Legionnaire-2
Init +10, Senses Listen +11, Spot +6
Languages Cosmopolitan, Wilder
------------------------------------------------
AC 22 (20 while enraged), touch 11 (9 while enraged), flat-footed 21 (19 while enraged)
hp 135 (2d12+15d10 HD) (169 while enraged)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +
------------------------------------------------
Speed 20' (cannot run) (can fly at 60' with good maneuverability using Wings of Flying)
Melee +19 (+21 while enraged)
Base Atk +17, Grp 19 (+21 while enraged)
Atk Options
+1 Guisarme of Speed +20/+20/+15/+10/+5 2d4+4
Light Crossbow -MW +24 1d8
Atk Options – Enraged:
+1 Guisarme of Speed +22/+22/+17/+12/+7 2d4+7
Combat Gear Wand of Enlarge Person (37 charges), Wand of True Strike (22 charges), Potion of Cure Serious Wounds (x3), Wand of Bull's Strength (8 charges)
Supernatural Abilities Charging Jump, Fast Jump, Dimension Jump 7/day
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 15, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8.
Abilities – Enraged Str 19, Dex 22, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8.
SQ Pounce, Uncanny Dodge
Feats Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Knockdown, Leap Attack, Mage Slayer, Mobility, Pierce Magical Concealment, Power Attack, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack
Skills Climb +3, Craft (Armorsmithing) +14, Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +15, Listen +11, Ride +11, Spellcraft +3, Spot +6, Survival +5, Use Magic Device +7
Possessions Legionnaire's Plate, Ring of Mental Fortitude, Gloves of Dexterity +6, Third Eye (Clarity), Wings of Flying, Backpack (14 days iron rations, 3x waterskins), Quiver (40 bolts)

asnys
2013-12-28, 10:39 AM
I'd greatly appreciate advice on the power level of this class. The abilities are obviously quite powerful - a 5th-level Dimensional Legionnaire can teleport in, full attack, and teleport out to somewhere the enemy doesn't have line-of-effect, which is pretty sweet, especially combined with a source of Pounce. But they're 20th level by the time they can do that, so they should be pretty powerful.

I'd also appreciate any thoughts on the prerequisites. I felt it needed a feat tax, but the Spring Attack line doesn't seem right.

DeusMortuusEst
2013-12-28, 06:02 PM
First off: Nicely done with the formatting! Well structured and easy to read. That's a huge bonus :smallsmile:

Why the high BAB requirement? This class will almost never see play if a character can't enter it before 15:th level, and most character's won't use it at all since most classes use the medium or slow BAB progression. As it is, this limits the playability of the class a lot.

Why do you have the feat tax at all? The feats have nothing to do with the class itself, so it just feels tacked on. Either add an ability that allows the usage of those feats with the class, or remove the requirements. I also recommend changing the feat line to something else as the spring attack feats are horrible and doesn't work well with classes using heavy armor.

MOAR skill points. Seriously, 2 skill points per level is just mean. Just because the fighter is badly designed doesn't mean that this should be. Up this to at least 4, especially since it doesn't rely on INT at all and don't get a lot of other utility stuff.

I have to go to bed now, but if I get the time tomorrow I'll stop by and take a closer look at the class features.

asnys
2013-12-28, 11:42 PM
First off: Nicely done with the formatting! Well structured and easy to read. That's a huge bonus :smallsmile:

I stole it from the GitP prestige contest entry guidelines.

Why the high BAB requirement? This class will almost never see play if a character can't enter it before 15:th level, and most character's won't use it at all since most classes use the medium or slow BAB progression. As it is, this limits the playability of the class a lot.

I'm not married to the BAB: +15 prereq - I could drop it to +14 or even +12 - but I want this to be primarily for martial types, and to be restricted to high-level play. I want it to be for martials because they don't get many nice things, and I'd like to restrict it to high-level play because the abilities seem overpowered to me at lower levels.

Why do you have the feat tax at all? The feats have nothing to do with the class itself, so it just feels tacked on. Either add an ability that allows the usage of those feats with the class, or remove the requirements. I also recommend changing the feat line to something else as the spring attack feats are horrible and doesn't work well with classes using heavy armor.

Technically they can use Spring Attack with Charging Jump, but that's beside the point, because I agree that it's a bad choice. I want to include some feat tax just because it seems overpowered to not have one, and I couldn't think of anything better. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

MOAR skill points. Seriously, 2 skill points per level is just mean. Just because the fighter is badly designed doesn't mean that this should be. Up this to at least 4, especially since it doesn't rely on INT at all and don't get a lot of other utility stuff.

Really? I mean, they already get a lot...

I have to go to bed now, but if I get the time tomorrow I'll stop by and take a closer look at the class features.

Thanks!

Garryl
2013-12-29, 02:55 AM
Cool concept. I always love playing with the idea of teleportation. Unfortunately, this class's implementation is lacking somewhat.

I'm not married to the BAB: +15 prereq - I could drop it to +14 or even +12 - but I want this to be primarily for martial types, and to be restricted to high-level play. I want it to be for martials because they don't get many nice things, and I'd like to restrict it to high-level play because the abilities seem overpowered to me at lower levels.

The nature of the PrC, with its utter lack of spellcasting, skills, sneak attack, etc. already restricts it to martial types, and the extreme cost of the armour requires you to be very high level to afford it (if you spend 90% of your wealth, you can barely afford one at level 14). At the same time, the abilities do not stack up with what you should be working with at levels 16-20. Swordsages, Telflammar Shadowlords, Jaunters, and more have been pulling off similar teleportation shenanigans since level 11 or earlier. Swift action tactical teleportation is available since level 4 or so through Anklets of Translocation (10' teleport as a swift action 2/day for 1400g in the MIC), and Wizards have immediate action teleportation as early as level 1 (Abrupt Jaunt ACF for Conjurers). Anyone at all, even Commoners, can spend a feat on Martial Study for 50 feet of teleportation 1/encounter as a standard action at level 6 (Shadow Jaunt) or as a move action at level 18 (Shadow Stride). Even in Core, Dimension Door 1/1d4 rounds is available at 11th level by taking 6 levels of Horizon Walker.

Technically they can use Spring Attack with Charging Jump, but that's beside the point, because I agree that it's a bad choice. I want to include some feat tax just because it seems overpowered to not have one, and I couldn't think of anything better. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Spring Attack doesn't work in heavy armour. This class requires you to use heavy armour, so you can probably see the issue.

Not really. In addition to what I discussed above about how teleportation isn't as rare as you'd think, that's all this class does. You spend 5 levels, 3 mediocre feats, and 1/6 your level 20 WBL on the ability to move around a lot. Move around is fun and all, but it doesn't make a character in and of itself. Everyone can move around from level 1 with no investment whatsoever other than not playing a house plant. Moving around lets you get from here to there, but it doesn't help you do anything once you get there. It doesn't help you kill your enemies, or convince the king to lend you aid, or make a clear path for your allies to follow, or even protect your less mobile allies from an angry dragon. It doesn't tick enough boxes on the adventurer's checklist to justify spending this much of your resources on it, especially so late in the game when you can be spending said resources on awesome, game-changing stuff.

Edit: Corrected the statistics on Anklets of Translocation (not Teleportation).

DeusMortuusEst
2013-12-29, 04:22 AM
I stole it from the GitP prestige contest entry guidelines.

Yep, I recognize it, but it's still nice to see someone taking the time to get the formatting right.

As Garryl pointed out above, this class is already for martials due to what it brings to the table. Just the fact that it requires you to wear heavy armor means that the vast majority of characters will never be interested in this. I'd say lower the BAB prereq to +10 at least.

Spring attack is not usable in heavy armor. If you want it to be useful for them (because if the character wants to use both heavy armor and have spring attack they are gimping themselves a lot before entering the class) give them the ability to make a full attack after having done a Dimension Jump/Charging jump.

Currently this class does not get enough to warrant a feat tax of 3 bad feats.

They really don't. I don't know how familiar you are with D&D 3.5 outside core, but if you have Tome of Battle look at what the Crusader, Swordsage and Warblade get at higher levels. That's a good measuring stick for martial characters. They are generally considered to be well balanced and well rounded classes.

On to the class features then!

d10 HD, good BAB and two good saves is a nice chassis. One more good save than the heavy initiator classes, but it's a PrC so that is to be expected.

Weapon Proficiencies: Ok, nothing new here. Moving on.

Fast Jump (Sp): This is pretty nice, allows for some nice tactical movement around the battlefield. Still, the number of jumps is limited so it will have to be used with caution.

Dimension Jump (Sp): Ah, more jumps! This in combination with Fast jump works quite nicely. You can jump in and save your friends or get in the way of a big bad. Nice way to give some battlefield presence to a martial character.

Range Extension: You can now jump longer. Ok.

Charging Jump (Sp): This is interesting, but probably not as nice as you think. As written this allows you to use dimensional jump while charging, but nothing about the way you are allowed to charge actually changes. You still have to charge in a straight line along a clear path, to a maximum of twice your movement speed. You must have line of sight to your opponent etc.

I guess the idea here was to allow a Legionnaire to pop in and attack and then disappear again? If so, here's my suggestion:

Charging Jump (Sp): At the end of a dimensional jump the dimensional legionnaire can do a full attack as a standard action. If the dimensional legionnaire has the improved charge feat she does not provoke attacks of opportunities for moving into threatened squares with her dimensional jumps.

Teleport Penetration: This is mostly a filler ability. It will come into play if your DM uses that kind of enemies against you, at which point it will be a nice to have. But it's still a passive thing that won't be see use even every game session. You could add something more to this level.

Dimension Dodge (Sp): Do away with the reflex save roll. Other classes have been doing this for free since much earlier levels. Dodging save-or-dies is nice, requiring that you use your dump save & stat for it is not nice.

Double Jump (Sp): This is strange because you only have one swift action, so I'm not sure how you intend for it to work. I'd say that change this to:

Double Jump (Sp): Once per round the dimensional legionnaire can do a dimensional jump as a free action.

Ok, so mostly I agree with Garryl. This class is nice, it's flavorful and it's well written. But it doesn't bring anything really worth taking to the table. You have some of my suggestions above, do with them as you like :smallsmile:

asnys
2013-12-29, 11:01 PM
Cool concept. I always love playing with the idea of teleportation. Unfortunately, this class's implementation is lacking somewhat.

The nature of the PrC, with its utter lack of spellcasting, skills, sneak attack, etc. already restricts it to martial types, and the extreme cost of the armour requires you to be very high level to afford it (if you spend 90% of your wealth, you can barely afford one at level 14). At the same time, the abilities do not stack up with what you should be working with at levels 16-20. Swordsages, Telflammar Shadowlords, Jaunters, and more have been pulling off similar teleportation shenanigans since level 11 or earlier. Swift action tactical teleportation is available since level 4 or so through Anklets of Translocation (10' teleport as a swift action 2/day for 1400g in the MIC), and Wizards have immediate action teleportation as early as level 1 (Abrupt Jaunt ACF for Conjurers). Anyone at all, even Commoners, can spend a feat on Martial Study for 50 feet of teleportation 1/encounter as a standard action at level 6 (Shadow Jaunt) or as a move action at level 18 (Shadow Stride). Even in Core, Dimension Door 1/1d4 rounds is available at 11th level by taking 6 levels of Horizon Walker.

I have to admit, I'm not familiar with most of those. :smallredface: My library is pretty much limited to 3.0 and a few odds and ends.

Spring Attack doesn't work in heavy armour. This class requires you to use heavy armour, so you can probably see the issue.

Ah. Doy. Sorry.

As Garryl pointed out above, this class is already for martials due to what it brings to the table. Just the fact that it requires you to wear heavy armor means that the vast majority of characters will never be interested in this. I'd say lower the BAB prereq to +10 at least.

I'm not married to the BAB prerequisite, but flavorwise, they're supposed to be the sort of uber-warriors that an epic-level wizard of a lost technomagic super-civilization kept around as bodyguards, so I'd rather give them more stuff then weaken the prereqs much. Maybe drop the BAB requirement to +12 and add some more goodies (see below).

Spring attack is not usable in heavy armor. If you want it to be useful for them (because if the character wants to use both heavy armor and have spring attack they are gimping themselves a lot before entering the class) give them the ability to make a full attack after having done a Dimension Jump/Charging jump.

I like that. I'll add it. :smallsmile:

They really don't. I don't know how familiar you are with D&D 3.5 outside core, but if you have Tome of Battle look at what the Crusader, Swordsage and Warblade get at higher levels. That's a good measuring stick for martial characters. They are generally considered to be well balanced and well rounded classes.

I'm afraid I don't have Tome of Battle. :smallredface:

Charging Jump (Sp): This is interesting, but probably not as nice as you think. As written this allows you to use dimensional jump while charging, but nothing about the way you are allowed to charge actually changes. You still have to charge in a straight line along a clear path, to a maximum of twice your movement speed. You must have line of sight to your opponent etc.

Oh, doy. I'll add some language there.

I guess the idea here was to allow a Legionnaire to pop in and attack and then disappear again? If so, here's my suggestion:

My idea was that the charging jump would allow you to make uberchargers who can't be blocked by the simple expedient of having other people between them and their target. Then the 5th level ability lets them jump in, smack their target around, and jump out.

Dimension Dodge (Sp): Do away with the reflex save roll. Other classes have been doing this for free since much earlier levels. Dodging save-or-dies is nice, requiring that you use your dump save & stat for it is not nice.

Okay, I'll change that.

Double Jump (Sp): This is strange because you only have one swift action, so I'm not sure how you intend for it to work. I'd say that change this to:

This is intended to be a specific exception to the "only one swift action per round" rule, but I'll add some language to clarify that.

Ok, so mostly I agree with Garryl. This class is nice, it's flavorful and it's well written. But it doesn't bring anything really worth taking to the table. You have some of my suggestions above, do with them as you like :smallsmile:

Thanks!

Some additional abilities I originally considered, but rejected as too powerful:

Giving dimension jump at will as a capstone.

A teleport jamming effect, allowing you to block enemy teleportation.

An ability to teleport allies.

An ability to teleport enemies. (That said, part of the reason I didn't include this originally was because, at 16th-20th level, if you can hit an enemy with that effect and get it to stick, you can probably just kill them.)

An antimagic field effect of some kind, with a selective effect excluding their equipment and dimension jumps. This is a rather big change from where the class is right now, but it's the sort of thing I would think an epic-level wizard would want his bodyguards to have.

A long-range teleportation or even plane-shifting effect.

I'll think about this some more and make some more edits later.

Thanks for all your help!

asnys
2014-01-02, 08:59 PM
Made some more changes, most notably reworking charging jump and adding a new ability, unexpected jump. I'm still not satisfied; I'd appreciate any feedback anyone would care to offer.