PDA

View Full Version : How to start my adventure with RPG?

Kahrik
2013-12-26, 05:14 PM
It is the first time I'm typing to you so: hello everyone :)
Me and my friends really enjoy playing board games, but today we all noticed that we are getting bored of them. One of our ideas for a new kind of fun was to start playing RPG, but here's the problem, none of us has ever, EVER played any RPG game, also we have no friends who did to teach us any basic rules. Here I ask you for help, give me any advices for a totally new group of people:
1. What game should we start with?
2. Are there any tips to really sink into your character, so we can start role-playing better (I suppose it will be very hard at the begging to create climatic conversations etc)
Also if there is anything else that in you opinion is important for new players please tell me about it, every advice from experienced player is valuable for me.

DrBurr
2013-12-26, 05:34 PM
First welcome to the hobby

There are plenty of free rgs out their but in my experience they typically expect you to have some prior knowledge of game systems particularly D&D 3e. So I'd suggest you'd group pull together and buy a system.

When picking a game, you should really choose a setting that interests you. Much like you my group was built from a bunch of people wanting to get into the hobby, we choose D&D 4e, cause it was on sale and wanted to be elves. But my group also like Star Wars d6 for Sci-Fi games and Call of Cthulhu for horror.

Any Barnes and Noble or Borders should have an RPG section that has D&D or Pathfinder and maybe a couple other systems I suggest you take a look even if your not buying typically you can read them in the store to see if the game interests you then you can get a nice deal on amazon for some books with some wear and tear.

Theres really no wrong choice when picking a game. people have different interests thus will like different games, in particular this board seems to love mutants and masterminds, though I've never played it, I'd eventually suggest trying lots of games but I'd wait until you've settled into whatever your first game is.

As for roleplaying, I've found it just develops naturally and theres really no way to improve it besides roleplaying more often.

inexorabletruth
2013-12-26, 05:56 PM
I have a few suggestions:

First, have you tried Free-Form Roleplaying (FFRP)? We have several here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321750) on this website. The rules are comparatively simple and heavy on the RP, which most newbies find enjoyable and easier to do.

Also, consider rules-light systems. D&D is the most popular system (so it will be easier to find groups), but the rules (and cost of rulebooks) can be intimidating. I've heard GURPS and E6 are very popular systems. For D&D, I recommend starting with 4E if none of you have ever played any RPG before. It plays kind of like a video game and the rules are much simpler than 3.5. If you're a heavy reader, I recommend 3.5. It's my preferred system, but I had good mentors to walk me through my early sessions and help me out with rule interpretation and build advice. I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much without all that help.

Lastly, there are some board/card game RPGs that are affordable and fairly well structured. Try Munchkin, Dominion, or Hero Quest (or some modern variant of HeroQuest, I believe that board game was discontinued a long time ago). Warhammer is awesome, but pricey would be an understatement. Structured board games will help you understand the world your playing in and can be a less intensive introduction to the play style.

Sidmen
2013-12-26, 07:29 PM
I would actually steer you away from any of the Dungeons and Dragons editions if you don't have someone to walk you through a game.

I'd suggest the Dragon Age RPG (http://greenroninstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/dragon-age-rpg-set-1-print) by Green Ronin. It uses a very simple rules mechanic and for first-time players its character creation is much simpler and more straight-to-the-point. It's also fairly short, so you won't get overloaded with information (its players' book only has 65 pages).

Rhynn
2013-12-26, 07:32 PM
If you don't know what you want from a game, check out my signature for a (partial) list of retro-RPGs that deliver the classic Dungeons & Dragons experience with simpler rules and clear presentation, many of them entirely for free! (Some may not come with a great "intro to RPGs" section, but there's nothing to be lost by checking out several free games and deciding which one you like.) Many of the free games are also sold in print versions.

Knaight
2013-12-26, 08:57 PM
As nobody in the group has any experience, I'd actually reccomend tracking down a module. Basically, they are premade adventure paths that make life simpler for the GM, who generally has a much more complex job in the game than anybody else. I'd also suggest bailing on them pretty quickly, but for the first session they're solid.

As far as games go, there are a number of good options. When you restrict it to those that actually have modules, the number goes down significantly. Fortunately, Chronica Feudalis covers all of this. It's a very good game with a roleplaying focus, which is simple enough to not have a big barrier to entry while being complex enough to be interesting, which has an adventure included in the core book, along with downloable premade characters for it. Once you've gotten the hang of it, you can use the system for things that aren't pre-gens, and branch out into other RPGs easily.

Lord Torath
2013-12-26, 09:33 PM
Also, before you start playing, you should come up with some rules or guidelines to play by. Not just the rules of the game, but the rules of how you will play the game. Something like this (http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/manifesto.htm). If you guys are all on the same page about evil PCs and how the DM will run the bad guys up front, it will save a lot of trouble later.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-26, 09:50 PM
You could try Dungeon World. (http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com) It's quite a lot simpler than D&D, but maintains the basic ideas and should help you get into the basics of roleplaying without too many rules to worry about.

Also, set up a policy on player-vs-player (PvP) interaction. This includes things like lying to other PCs, stealing, killing, raping, and other such things. My suggestion is to disallow PvP entirely, at least for your first adventure arc. Make characters who are going to work together in their team. It's going to save you a lot of trouble down the road when your Rogue wants to start nicking treasure bits for himself.

GoblinArchmage
2013-12-26, 09:53 PM
I don't know that I have any advice, but your pun made me smile, OP. Thank you.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-26, 09:55 PM
I don't know that I have any advice, but your pun made me smile, OP. Thank you.

What? If there was a pun, it went completely over my head.

Deaxsa
2013-12-26, 10:40 PM
What? If there was a pun, it went completely over my head.

Bored of board games

Grinner
2013-12-26, 10:42 PM
I would actually steer you away from any of the Dungeons and Dragons editions if you don't have someone to walk you through a game.

I'd suggest the Dragon Age RPG (http://greenroninstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/dragon-age-rpg-set-1-print) by Green Ronin. It uses a very simple rules mechanic and for first-time players its character creation is much simpler and more straight-to-the-point. It's also fairly short, so you won't get overloaded with information (its players' book only has 65 pages).

Also, before you start playing, you should come up with some rules or guidelines to play by. Not just the rules of the game, but the rules of how you will play the game. Something like this (http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/manifesto.htm). If you guys are all on the same page about evil PCs and how the DM will run the bad guys up front, it will save a lot of trouble later.

Also, set up a policy on player-vs-player (PvP) interaction. This includes things like lying to other PCs, stealing, killing, raping, and other such things. My suggestion is to disallow PvP entirely, at least for your first adventure arc. Make characters who are going to work together in their team. It's going to save you a lot of trouble down the road when your Rogue wants to start nicking treasure bits for himself.

These guys sound right on the money.

D&D is complex. Often, it makes no sense. And it's certainly not something you can just pick up in an evening or two. I have no personal experience with the Dragon Age RPG, but that sounds like something you can adapt to pretty easily.

A lot of the other suggestions being put forth are all very good, but some of them are a bit far outside what might be comfortable (or comprehensible) for you.

Also, it's always good to have some basic social expectations set down in any group setting.

As nobody in the group has any experience, I'd actually reccomend tracking down a module. Basically, they are premade adventure paths that make life simpler for the GM, who generally has a much more complex job in the game than anybody else. I'd also suggest bailing on them pretty quickly, but for the first session they're solid.

This advice is tricky. The last time I ran a module, I hated myself for a week or two. It seemed to turn the game from "Valiant Heroes Save The World" to "Bored Overdeity Drags Clueless Mortals Around By Their Noses". Then again, they seem to work for other people.

Personally, I'd recommend just doing a dungeon crawl to get a basic grip on the process of playing the game. "Walk before you run" and so on.

Kahrik
2013-12-27, 11:16 AM
Wow thanks for all the answers :)
What do you guys think about Warhammer? It turned out that my friend has a book "warhammer: fantasy roleplay" but sadly he has not much free time to help us, but he is willing to lend me the book and basic set of dice. Is Warhammer a good one to start with?

Also:

Any Barnes and Noble or Borders should have an RPG section that has D&D or Pathfinder and maybe a couple other systems I suggest you take a look even if your not buying typically you can read them in the store to see if the game interests you then you can get a nice deal on amazon for some books with some wear and tear.
Unfortunately I'm not living in USA, I don't even live near any big city so I would have to take a longer trip to get to any bookselling store that has RPG games :/

Knaight
2013-12-27, 02:52 PM
What do you guys think about Warhammer? It turned out that my friend has a book "warhammer: fantasy roleplay" but sadly he has not much free time to help us, but he is willing to lend me the book and basic set of dice. Is Warhammer a good one to start with?

Also:

Unfortunately I'm not living in USA, I don't even live near any big city so I would have to take a longer trip to get to any bookselling store that has RPG games :/

Warhammer probably isn't the best starting point. As for the other bit, online .pdf files are your friend. Lots of games have them.

Rhynn
2013-12-27, 03:11 PM

Opinions differ widely by edition, but I don't see any reason WFRP wouldn't work. If it's 3rd edition, though (with all those special dice, counters, cards, etc.) it will be very different from almost all other RPGs, so it may give you a very different experience.

WFRP 1E and 2E are some of the best RPGs there are, and 1E has one of the best settings. (2E lost a lot of the "feel", but is still fun; although my opinion there is probably colored by the fact I just keep using the 1E bits I know and remember.)

DrBurr
2013-12-29, 01:12 AM

Also:

Ah yes that is quite the bummer.

I have played a couple warhammer games, specifically rogue trader and only war, I assume they're all similar don't quote me though. I thought they were fairly simple as far as games go. My only complaint was my friend who was running it enforced all the flavor so I couldn't play the character I wanted to.

Should be a fine starting point, if you mess up thats just part of the learning experience I couldn't tell you how many times I screwed up.

Now that I think about you should probably order a pound of dice or similar product on Amazon or any online retailer, it'll be around $20 but its incredibly helpful before all your friends buy their own sets and even afterwards if they forget them.

Airk
2013-12-30, 11:04 AM
It...kinda depends for Warhammer. If it's an old book, it could be VERY dated. (I have fond memories of messing around with an early edition of the game, but not because it was a good game).

There are LOTS of free RPGs you can try. You can get Zounds! (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/102723/Zounds) for free, and it does a reasonable job of explaining things for new players, but doesn't include any "premade content" for you to play.

Unfortunately, this isn't a super easy hobby to get into without a 'mentor' because of the complexity of the rules in general (A "long" boardgame manual might be 20 pages, and that's crazy short for all but the lightest of RPGs) and the fact that most if not all of them don't start at a truly 'beginner' level of explanation. Fortunately, you have the internet at your disposal, so you should be able to get answers to whatever questions without too much trouble.

Lorsa
2013-12-30, 06:50 PM
As for what rules to go for I really have very little advice. People feel very different about rules. I am glad that I started with a system that had many and very large tables for what happened when you hit someone, as they supplied the actual events and not just hp reduction. It aided in narration which was useful to get into what makes an RPG differ from a tactical wargame.

If you're experienced boardgamers then you can probably get into almost any rules quite easily. The basics of D&D 3.5 really isn't as difficult as some say and if you just use the corebook to start with the optinos are going to be limited.

But really, first decide what sort of setting you like. Is it fantasy? Sci-fi? Modern? Historical? Horror? A mix of any of the above? The answer to this question will help you find a system.

Personally I wouldn't start with any adventure module or something similar. I wouldn't even have a complicated adventure or story or whatever. Just start with a scenario such as "you're wakling in the woods, having been tasked with finding an old hermit sage that's supposed to live in these parts and bring him to your king" and then have things happening like the players being attacked by wolves if they forgot to put up a fire at night, or running into tracks of orcs or actual orcs, encountering a witch in the forest (who may or may not be hostile), that the sage is missing and his house is full of undead etc etc. Just small situations without any larger idea behind them to give you all an idea how roleplaying works in practice. How you declare actions for your characters, how detailed they can be, when to be quiet and listen to the GM, the difference between in-character and out-of-character conversation etc etc. Once you've gotten a feel for this and if you're unhappy with whatever you are doing right now you can always start over and have another kind of focus or more story-driven game if you like that. But really, start off easy, don't overcomplicate things to begin with.

Oh and also, there's plenty of online bookstores that can ship books to you that also sell RPGs.