PDA

View Full Version : 3d level "signature" spells for caster archetypes

Xhosant
2013-12-26, 05:39 PM
So the requirements of a session of mine demand 4 sorcerers tailored for battlefield deployment, matching one of 4 roles each (slave fighters for a psion-ruled, magophobic empire).

So, we have an evocation-based blaster, a force-focused sorcerer, an illusionist etc. sorcerer and one focused on changing the terrain (grease, walls, that kind of stuff). All of them are meant for arid areas, for what that's worth (no plant control or water manipulation or whatever).

What I need is 2 iconic and awesome 3d-level spells for each "archetype" of those 4. I'll probably use Wall of Chains as one for the terrain-er.

I've combed through every spell for their 0, 1 and 2-lvl spells and I just can't do the same for level 3 :smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2013-12-26, 05:42 PM
blaster = fireball and lightning bolt. If you're looking for the classics, that is.

But you should definitely have Fireball for him. It may not be that strong, but not having Fireball on an Evocation-focused blaster is like not taking Magic Missile. Sacrilege.

Xhosant
2013-12-26, 05:47 PM
Thanks, that's 2 spells worthy of the "artillery" moniker (blaster's "title") and something you'd want on a crowded battlefield no less.

Though magic missile was reserved for the force-user :smalltongue:

Keep em coming on the other 3 roles!

Vhaidara
2013-12-26, 05:57 PM
The following are good options from Spell Compendium

Force based: Chain Missile (what does it sound like?)

Terrain: Shatterfloor (some damage and also damages the floor, creates difficult terrain)
Contagious Fog (Fog Cloud + Disease)

Illusionist: Not sure what specifically, but a nice illusion
Suspended Silence (object creates a sphere of silence at your command; cast on a letter, send to enemy caster, activate upon ambush)

Dugong
2013-12-26, 05:59 PM
I think Haste would be the signature spell for the buff archetype

andreww
2013-12-26, 06:26 PM
So, we have an evocation-based blaster, a force-focused sorcerer, an illusionist etc. sorcerer and one focused on changing the terrain (grease, walls, that kind of stuff). All of them are meant for arid areas, for what that's worth (no plant control or water manipulation or whatever).

What I need is 2 iconic and awesome 3d-level spells for each "archetype" of those 4. I'll probably use Wall of Chains as one for the terrain-er.

Hmm, Iconic to me suggests something more likely to be drawn from the core rules than splat book dumpster diving.

Blaster:
Fireball, nothing more traditional for this even if it isn't very good.
Sleet Storm, technically more battlefield control but represents elemental control and is a pretty decent spell.
Honourable Mention: Wind Wall, especially if your group has an archer

Terrain Control:
Stinking Cloud: Great area, powerful debuff
Slow: Doesn't add anything to the battlefield but wrecks havoc with PC's tactics and will negate their Haste.

Buffer:
Fly: Flight is so very strong at this level and all of them could be flying well out of the way.
Haste: If your team is all sorcerers then this wont be adding much but the extra movement will be helpful.

Vhaidara
2013-12-26, 06:39 PM
Guys, there is no buffer. It's

Evocation Blaster
Force Focused Sorc
Illusionist
Terraformer/BFC expert

Kymme
2013-12-26, 06:49 PM
Okay, let's see what the SC has got.

Blaster Master: Fireball, Rainbow Blast

Force Caster: Chain Missile, Manyjaws

Illusionist: Major Image, Displacement

Battlefield Controller: Shadow Binding, Shatterfloor

Egopunk
2013-12-26, 08:25 PM
You want to give the Force Caster the 2nd Level spell wings of cover. Immediate action **** You to most things, and its represented by a giant pair of transluscent force wings suddenly manifesting and swooping around you to cloak you from harm. I'd say that's pretty damn iconic.

For the illusionist, Legion of sentinels is nasty and pretty cool. When you've used so many illusions that the enemy ignores everything spell you cast by instinct, hit them with Legion of Sentinels while retreating then watch as they provoke attacks of opportunity everywhere as they try to pursue. It's like having your own platoon of bodyguards to cover your escape.

Xhosant
2013-12-26, 08:37 PM
Kudos to Ego, I'll actually add it as his "wand compartment" cloak (good thing with one-shot tutorials, you can obey rule of cool, caution be damned), since his spell selection is already down to essentials.

I think it's a fair match to Belker Claws bracers :-P

Alleran
2013-12-26, 09:05 PM
If you're willing to go into PF, I've always been fond of the Force Punch spell.

Egopunk
2013-12-26, 09:27 PM
I suppose phantasmal strangler is certainly the only 3rd level illusion at your disposal that will deal a garunteed 2d6 damage on a failed will save and has 50% chance of immobilising the target for at least a turn and doing another 2d6 (and so on in consecutive turns). That's only if the target tries to escape the grapple too, if he tries to attack or pin, he automatically fails.

Zweisteine
2013-12-26, 10:27 PM
I don't remember the source, but there is an vocation that acts much like fireball, but does not have the fancy attack role rules, and does electricity damage instead. It's much rarer that electricity is resisted than fire, and this combines the two evocation classics (fireball and lightning bolt).

Vhaidara
2013-12-26, 11:02 PM
I know NWN had spells like Scintillating Sphere and Vitriolic Sphere (electricity and acid, respectively), but I don't know what you mean about the "fancy attack roll rules". Fireball is an area-targeted spell like any other.

Also, I think he's looking more for iconic than effective. Although arid locations are bad for both electricity and fire (lot of resistances to both pop up there)

Zweisteine
2013-12-26, 11:33 PM
Scintillating sphere doesn't require an attack roll to go through narrow spaces. Your DM could rule that it either can't go through at all, or goes through automatically (present it so the second sounds right :smallwink:).

Also, it's in the Spell Compendium.

If you attempt to send the bead through a narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must “hit” the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier and detonates prematurely.

Xhosant
2013-12-28, 04:03 PM
Thanks a ton for the input guys! I decided to go with:

Rainbow Blast and Fireball for the "Artilery" Evoker. Both are great for mass battlefield deployment, especially considering rainbow's adaptability.

Shatterfloor and Wall of Chains for Terraformer. The latter is 3.0, but how tough can it be to port it if they start asking questions in 2 months?

Displacement and Major Image for the "Covert" illusionist.

And Chain Missile and Battlemagic Perception for the Force sorcerer. The second is to introduce them to counterspelling in an easy way, and frankly the image of conjuring five missiles of force, launching them and seeing them wreck havoc was too much to resist :smalltongue:

Kudos to all! Next stop: The Heist! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322261)

Grayson01
2013-12-28, 08:08 PM
Ill: Legion of Sentinals one of my favorite Battle Feild Control Area Spells.

Vhaidara
2013-12-28, 08:16 PM
My understanding of unupdated 3.0 material: It works as written.

Jack_Simth
2013-12-28, 08:21 PM
evocation-based blaster

As noted: Fireball and Lightning Bolt. Great for mass battles, really.

force-focused sorcerer
Chain Missle, Mass Mage Armor (both spell compendium)

an illusionist etc. sorcerer
Major Image, Invisibility Sphere

focused on changing the terrain (grease, walls, that kind of stuff). Stinking Cloud, Wind Wall.

Gazzien
2013-12-28, 10:03 PM
For the Blaster; this (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/3962696) was just posted back on the old C.O. forms back at Wizards. I really like it though, and seems to capture the "blaster" flavor quite easily.