PDA

View Full Version : Kanto: A Region Re-Imagined

Arcran
2013-12-26, 05:47 PM
So, I'm a fairly avid player of the Pokemon Tabletop United system (a download link may be found here (http://www.mediafire.com/download/ll6kfezfmjca9ay/PTU+1.03.zip). One thing that many players and GMs do is create settings, something that I have enjoyed doing. While most create a brand new region, I always had a soft spot for Kanto and the characters in it.

However, I prefer my Pokemon games dark, so I couldn't just use the standard Kanto. I had to rewrite it to create a world that I liked, one that I would want to run a game in. I rebuilt the region from the ground up, but recently decided that it wasn't quite up to my standards. Since that point, I've been reworking the setting, trying to make it something that I like and is more informative to readers.

I'm posting this here mostly for feedback. What did I not adequately cover? Is Lance boring? Does the history make sense and (most importantly) is it interesting? Does it make you want to learn more about the region?

So without further aideau, the History of Kanto may be found here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/njnp7m63yzoqoi7/Kanto%20History%20Preview.pdf). (PDF download link).

All feedback is appreciated greatly, and particularly useful feedback gets you into the credits for the PDF when it's released.

I've been continuing work on the setting, but work is a little slow. As I get more sections done, I'll post them here on Reddit if people seem to be interested in the region.

tl;dr: Download this (https://www.dropbox.com/s/njnp7m63yzoqoi7/Kanto%20History%20Preview.pdf) and tell me what you think.

Thunderfist12
2014-01-11, 09:34 AM
I'll check it out when I can use a better computer (my laptop hates downloads).

I like the idea of a darker Kanto, though. Are you thinking of adding more ghost-type (at least, I think it's ghost-type) Pokemon, or just making them more common, because doing either one (or both) would really add to the feel.

Maerok
2014-01-11, 10:00 AM
Oh wow, this is a good job here. Likewise I'm going to have to give this a read on the laptop later but it tackles some of the obvious questions that the tameness of the original games/setting sweeps under the rug.

Arcran
2014-01-11, 10:24 AM
I'll check it out when I can use a better computer (my laptop hates downloads).

I like the idea of a darker Kanto, though. Are you thinking of adding more ghost-type (at least, I think it's ghost-type) Pokemon, or just making them more common, because doing either one (or both) would really add to the feel.

Yes and no. Using just Gastly would severely limit what is possible, so I will include notes about broadening the spectrum when it comes to what Ghosts are in the region.

On the other hand, I want Ghost Pokemon to be just that: ghosts. Few people believe in the existence of these Pokemon, mostly because they are rarely seen. They'll be present in old Lavender Empire ruins. Local legends will say its haunted, but nobody will take that legend seriously. Even more, just the standard "toss a Pokeball and hope for the best" won't work, making them far harder for Trainers to use.

Oh wow, this is a good job here. Likewise I'm going to have to give this a read on the laptop later but it tackles some of the obvious questions that the tameness of the original games/setting sweeps under the rug.

Thanks so much!