PDA

View Full Version : How broken can a duskblade get in a gesalt?

CyberThread
2013-12-27, 12:27 AM
How broken can a duskblade get in a gesalt, when you start getting touch spells from a bunch of sources?

Snowbluff
2013-12-27, 12:29 AM
Not much at all. You can get most offensive touch spells with single sided DB builds. Heck, you're better off riding around in my latest Teleportron instead of worrying what spells you are murdering people with.

Urpriest
2013-12-27, 12:43 AM
Yeah, gestalt doesn't really break a duskblade disproportionately. About the worst you can get is grabbing touch attack 8ths off another list, and that's something you can do with a Sublime Chord build without gestalt.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-27, 12:59 AM
Yeah, it really only makes those tricks easier to do.

animewatcha
2013-12-27, 01:41 AM
Pick a divine melee touch range spell. You are now dancing while full attack channeling it.

A_S
2013-12-27, 02:10 AM
A couple tricks that would be hard or impossible without gestalt:

The way the level 13 version of Arcane Channeling is worded, it looks like if you cast a spell as part of one full attack, it then applies to all your other attacks that round without you having to cast it again. This would be very nice on a multipouncer (like a Telflammar Shadowlord build). You'd have a tough time getting Duskblade 13, Telflammar Shadowlord 4, and the spells you want to channel all onto the same build in 20 levels (though you could pull this off with Vampiric Touch all day erry day).
The above trick can be combined with Paimon's Dance of Death ability (from Binder) and movement speed optimization to potentially apply a spell effect to every target along a movement path of NI length. *edit* You also need a source of bonus standard actions, so Factotum 8.
There are some reach optimization tricks that require levels sunk into them. You could pull these off, grab Whirlwind Attack and Duskblade 13, go into Sublime Chord, and end up hitting everything within like 40 feet or so with Irresistable Dance every round. This can be done in vanilla, but you probably won't get the same reach, and you'll miss out on level 9 spells. Shucks.

dspeyer
2013-12-27, 02:29 AM
It never says the spells have to be arcane. Archivist seems a natural choice.

It never says the spells need to be harmful. Once you get the full attack version, dual-wield merciful whips and buff your allies better than a war weaver. Are there rules for making an attack on a co-operative target?

It never says anything about material or xp costs, so perhaps you can use one casting for multiple effects there. I can't find much in the ways of expensive 1-round touch spells, though. Best I can find is True Seeing costs 250gp.

A_S
2013-12-27, 04:12 AM
Most of those can be accomplished pretty well just by jumping into either Urpriest or Sublime Chord without gestalt. You'll miss out on the highest level spells, but really, the scariest things I can think of I'd want to channel are Irresistable Dance, Harm, Night's Caress, and Greater Bestow Curse, none of which are higher than level 6 for those two classes.

Archivists in gestalt could potentially get a better selection of channel-able spells than Urpriests can in vanilla, I guess. There's a lot of divine casters out there.

Waddacku
2013-12-27, 05:54 AM
Beguiler/Rainbow Servant for the other side of the gestalt, obviously.

Kaje
2013-12-27, 08:32 AM
I like my build that uses duskblade, wizard, enlightened fist, spellwarp sniper, and bloodstorm blade to channel area and ray spells through thrown attacks. It's not anything close to broken, but it's fun as hell.