PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Aasimar stats location please

Avigor
2013-12-27, 03:29 AM
Okay, I've seen the Savage Progressions article, and I've read the Lesser section in PGtF... The article seems to have such stats, but no Planetouched or WIS bonus (only CHA), reduces resists and the Daylight spell, and has a racial level attached to it (not just an LA, but an actual level). PGtF only had the Planetouched thing, no explicit stats that I could find (at least not for Aasimar...). Also, the Errata had nothing for it. Google brought me to a list of no LA playable races at a ihititwithmyaxe site (including it seemed a whole bunch of animalish things) which listed them as having both stats but no resists...

So the question I've got is this: Where does one find exact, official stats for Lesser Aasimar with no LA or racial levels? I highly doubt that something as simple as changing type to Humanoid (Planetouched) is enough to take away the LA... and from my understanding, if you have racial hit dice or levels, supposedly you're supposed to actually take them (and while some DM's might allow you to skip them, it's at least a flavor break if not a rule bend).

Granted, I know the LA can be ultimately bought off... But still, I'd like to know how to do it without the LA at all, at least for reference... Is it in a Dragon or something?

Psyren
2013-12-27, 03:31 AM
I've read the Lesser section in PGtF

Ding ding ding

A_S
2013-12-27, 04:55 AM
You've already found both official versions that will let you be an Aasimar without LA.

Lesser Aasimar is the variant from PGtF that you mention. The rules for them are just the rules for Aasimar, but with the exceptions mentioned in the "Lesser" variant section on pp. 190-191 (they don't have LA+1, and they aren't Outsiders). So, their stats are +2 Wis, +2 Cha (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm). I'll grant you that this one is confusing, since the "Lesser" section indicates that the stats for planetouched are elsewhere in PGtF, but they're not.

The Savage Progressions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) version follows the rules for Template Classes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) laid out earlier in that same series of articles. One of those rules is that you don't have to finish the class all at once. So, you can take the LA+0 race version, and then just never take the first level (which would give you LA+1). That gets you worse stats and abilities than Lesser Aasimar, but you do get the Outsider type, which can be useful for lots of reasons.

Talya
2013-12-27, 10:29 AM
I highly doubt that something as simple as changing type to Humanoid (Planetouched) is enough to take away the LA... and from my understanding, if you have racial hit dice or levels, supposedly you're supposed to actually take them (and while some DM's might allow you to skip them, it's at least a flavor break if not a rule bend).

(1) Planetouched have no racial hit dice or levels, just level adjustments.
(2) Yes, changing the type to humanoid is enough to take away the Level Adjustment. Outsider type grants you all martial weapon proficiencies, and makes you immune to all spells that target humanoids, which is quite good.

Without the outsider type, a lesser Aasimar is no better than a Human (and except in specific circumstances, human is still generally better), and therefore doesn't get a level adjustment.

If you want to get into broken uses of Lesser Planetouched, apply the template to Fey'ri.

Pluto!
2013-12-27, 06:40 PM
As has been said, the PGtF entry is what you're looking for. But it also looks like you overlooked the part in the Savage Progressions articles where actually taking the associated levels is optional.

The PGtF entry is also relevant to the plane touched in Fiend Folio and various Dragon Magazines, which may be helpful in some other build.

Avigor
2013-12-28, 02:35 AM
Huh... Somehow, I hadn't made the link between the type and the Darkvision (guess I'm rusty, was away from 3.5 for a while and now I'm back reading into it again), as well as I hadn't even realized they had martial weapon proficiencies due to type alone before that was pointed out... Here, I'd been thinking it just meant the spell vulnerability... Yeah, I guess that combined together does make a bigger difference...

Talya
2013-12-28, 09:57 AM
Darkvision isn't something they'd lose. Aasimar have darkvision as a racial trait, it's in their statblock. The fact that outsiders also get darkvision therefore becomes irrelevant when you take the outsider status away from them.

(And before you say "They always put Type bonuses in the stat block as racial traits," no, they don't. Look at the Goliath race. Monstrous humanoids have darkvision, so a goliath gets it, but it's not listed anywhere in the Goliath stat block. Meanwhile, the outsider weapon proficiencies are not listed as a racial trait for aasimar.)