PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Book of Challenges

limejuicepowder
2013-12-27, 10:13 AM
I've always liked this book; I think the encounters are interesting and often times devious. However, I don't play at the same OP level as some (majority, maybe) of the people here. I'd like to hear some opinions on this book, preferably from people who've used some of the encounters.

pwykersotz
2013-12-27, 12:30 PM
I've used several of them. Low level (1-5) they work exactly as intended. I have not tested the higher level ones. Mostly, I haven't had the patience to work them into my stories.

One thing, there are a couple of puzzle traps that rely on the characters seeing what is in the book...I've noticed these break verisimilitude. The players are suddenly solving a problem, not their characters. Some groups may like that, but mine ended up deciding it wasn't their cup of tea.

Palanan
2013-12-27, 06:10 PM
My first DM for a 3.5 game used a lot of these, straight from the book. Some of them went over better than others.

I tend to do terribly at puzzle traps and logic questions in general, so I never enjoyed those sections at all. The one with the different-colored levers (as I recall) was baffling to me; fortunately the other players were on it. But those sorts of things seem really contrived, just designed to give players something to do. I've never used them in my campaigns.

However, there's also a spiral corridor with...interesting additions, curling ever inward to a fiery doom. Yeah, we totally walked into that one.

:smalltongue:

pwykersotz
2013-12-27, 06:46 PM
However, there's also a spiral corridor with...interesting additions, curling ever inward to a fiery doom. Yeah, we totally walked into that one.

Haha, nice, I never got to test that one. Good to know it works. :smallbiggrin:

Palanan
2013-12-27, 06:51 PM
It works on groups as dumb as ours, anyway.

You should've seen the look on our faces when our DM described all the traps resetting.

:smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2013-12-28, 12:59 AM
I've had mixed success with them. They never work as well as you want them to, but there are some fun ideas worth harvesting.