PDA

View Full Version : Being a Dragon without being a Dragon? Character Help!

Rossebay
2013-12-27, 12:37 PM
I'm thinking Dragonborn Raptoran. Thing is, this game has some first-time players and I don't want to be optimized, but I don't want to intentionally sabotage my character. I don't want to play AS an actual dragon, and I'm not exactly sure how much I want to fluff my Dragonborn Raptoran as an actual dragon.

My DM trusts me, so he'll let me do just about anything, but he also requests that I don't be optimized simply because it'd offset me from other players far too much.

What he's letting me have is 2x 1d6 claws, following normal natural attack rules, so we don't need to procure natural attacks. Those are free of charge. So basically, I have a scaling breath weapon, raptoran wings (assume that they count as a movement speed so they're kept, this is not up for debate), and claws. Everything I need for Draconic flavor except scales/natural armor.

I'm considering taking Dragonscale Husk if I can?

Anyway, things that I'm considering wanting:
Natural Armor
Spellcasting (hopefully/preferably more utility than blasty)
Decent BAB
Anything else dragon-ish.

We're level 2. No Half-Dragon, no Feral Template (too strong).

I'm willing to change just about anything about this, but I keep feeling like everything I plan is lacking.

I thought Duskblade, Barbarian, Fighter, Stalwart Battle Sorcerer?
I'm having a hard time deciding, though.

Halp!

BornValyrian
2013-12-27, 12:52 PM
Totemist with the draconic soulmelds for a tail slap, claws, wings, frightful presence, etc.? I like totemist for the whole "build-a-beast" thing. the soulmelds are in Dragon Magic.

Rossebay
2013-12-27, 01:12 PM
I didn't know about those!

Alright, I'm gonna have to read over those pretty carefully and see if anything there blows my mind, haha. Totemist is lacking in BAB, but it could be pretty cool.

AlltheBooks
2013-12-27, 01:38 PM
Aside from patching something together, the easiest route to what you want is totemist, warlock or dragonfire adept. Otherwise I'd go with your favorite flavour of gish. If you go DA you can drop your DB breath for the senses, or keep it and have two breath weapons.

Depends on what aspect of being draconic is more important to you, magic abilities or physical power? If going gish consider mixing in some ToB. Some counters and boosts may help with the "draconic reflexes and toughness".