PDA

View Full Version : Charging the LiPo Battery in My New Quadcopter. Help?

Palanan
2013-12-27, 01:42 PM
Thanks to a rather generous gift from my cousin--the one who improves my vocabulary with terms like "arduino" and "hackerspace"--I now have a mini-quadcopter with a fancy RC controller.

And, it seems, a LiPo battery which will burn my house down.

Really. The instructions, which seem to be written by someone with no understanding of any Indo-European language, are disturbingly detailed as to the potential catastrophes involved in charging, using, storing, touching, or squinting at the LiPo battery.

And then I go online, looking for more information on how to charge the battery--a topic on which the instructions are sketchy and vague--and the RC forums are full of warnings about how LiPo batteries WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!!!

So. I know nothing about this kind of battery. Neither, it seems, did the people who stuck one in my quadcopter. --And did I mention the parts list doesn't match what's actually in the box? So all this has me, the English major, a little befuddled about battery-charging, not to mention slightly concerned about the house-burning side of things. How do I do this?

trdelectronics
2015-12-25, 09:20 AM
Very Awesome.

Gray Mage
2015-12-25, 03:26 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't have anything to be too worried about if you take minimum care. LiPo batteries are very common and if I'm not mistaken it's the battery that all cellphones use, or at least most.

Just use the adequate charger and don't put it near fires or heaters and you should be allright.

factotum
2015-12-25, 03:58 PM
Might want to check the date of Palanan's post there, Gray Mage... :smallbiggrin: